- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical and Sensory Evaluation of Whole Soybean Curd Supplemented with Pine Needle Powder
- Lee, Jun Ho (Department of Food Science and Engineering, Daegu University)
- Received : 2015.04.15
- Accepted : 2015.06.08
- Published : 2015.06.30
To develop functionally and nutritionally improved whole soybean curd (WSC), the effects of partial (0~4%) replacement with pine needle powder (PNP) on the quality characteristics of WSC were investigated. The moisture content and pH ranged from 76.96~77.80% (wet basis) and 6.69~6.74, respectively, with no considerable differences. Lightness significantly decreased with higher PNP content in the formulation (P<0.05), as indicated by visual observation that the color of WSC became darker. Redness and yellowness also significantly decreased (P<0.05). The texture profile analysis indicated that WSC containing PNP was softer and less cohesive than control WSC. 2,2-Diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl and 2,2'-azino-bis(3-ethylbenzthiazoline-6-sulphonic acid) radical scavenging activities significantly increased (P<0.05) with higher substitution of PNP, and they were well correlated. Results from the consumer test revealed that WSC with 1% PLP received the most favorable acceptance scores for sensory attributes, including overall acceptability. The present study indicated that the characteristics of PNP may play a role in improving WSC quality in terms of physicochemical, sensorial, and antioxidant characteristics.
- Cui H, Zhao C, Lin L. 2015. The specific antibacterial activity of liposome-encapsulated Clove oil and its application in tofu. Food Control 56: 128-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2015.03.026
- Shi M, Yang Y, Hu X, Zhang Z. 2014. Effect of ultrasonic extraction conditions on antioxidative and immunomodulatory activities of a Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharide originated from fermented soybean curd residue. Food Chem 155: 50-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.01.037
- Joo SI, Kim JE, Lee SP. 2011. Physicochemical properties of whole soybean curd prepared by microbial transglutaminase. Food Sci Biotechnol 20: 437-444. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-011-0061-2
- Lee HJ, Shin HC, Lee YS, Kim JY, Moon YH, Park KH, Moon JH. Comparison of quality characteristics of soybean curd and whole soybean curd. Korean J Food Sci Technol 41: 117-121.
- Choi HD, Koh YJ, Choi IW, Kim YS, Park YK. 2007. Anticariogenic activity and glucosyltransferase inhibitory effects of extracts from pine needle and twig. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39: 336-341.
- Watanabe K, Momose F, Handa H, Nagata K. 1995. Interaction between influenza virus proteins and pine cone antitumor substance that inhibits the virus multiplication. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 214: 318-323. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1995.2290
- Zhang JM, Shi XF, Fan B. 2009. Chemical composition and pharmacological activities of Cedrus deodara. Chinese Trad Plant Med 31: 928-933.
- Chen YH, Hsieh PC, Mau JL, Sheu SC. 2011. Antioxidant properties and mutagenicity of Pinus morrisonicola and its vinegar preparation. LWT-Food Sci Technol 44: 1477-1481. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2011.01.016
- Lu TM, Lee CC, Mau JL, Lin SD. 2010. Quality and antioxidant property of green tea sponge cake. Food Chem 119: 1090-1095. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.08.015
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Zucco F, Borsuk Y, Arntfield SD. 2011. Physical and nutritional evaluation of wheat cookies supplemented with pulse flours of different particle sizes. LWT–Food Sci Technol 44: 2070-2076.
- Choi HY. 2009. Antioxidant activity and quality characteristics of pine needle cookies. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1414-1421. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.10.1414
- Son BG, Kim HE, Lee JH. 2015. Physicochemical and consumer preference characteristics of tofu incorporated with pine needle powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 44: 296-301. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.2.296
- Ulziijargal E, Yang JH, Lin LY, Chen CP, Mau JL. 2013. Quality of bread supplemented with mushroom mycelia. Food Chem 138: 70-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.10.051
- Woo KS, Ko JY, Seo MC, Song SB, Oh BG, Lee JS, Kang JR, Nam MH. 2009. Physicochemical characteristics of the tofu (soybean curd) added sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench) powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1746-1752. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.12.1746
- Kilci A, Gocmen D. 2014. Phenolic acid composition, antioxidant activity and phenolic content of tarhana supplemented with oat flour. Food Chem 151: 547-553. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.11.038
- Fang Z, Hu Y, Liu D, Chen J, Ye X. 2008. Changes of phenolic acids and antioxidant activities during potherb mustard (Brassica juncea, Coss.) pickling. Food Chem 108: 811-817. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.11.033