- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparative Evaluation of Physicochemical Properties of Pine Needle Powders Prepared by Different Drying Methods
- Chung, Ha-Sook (Department of Food and Nutrition, Duksung Women's University) ;
- Lee, Jun Ho (Department of Food Science and Engineering, Daegu University)
- Received : 2015.04.01
- Accepted : 2015.06.08
- Published : 2015.06.30
Systematic study of how different drying methods, namely hot-air drying, vacuum-drying, and freeze-drying, affect color, browning index, degree of rehydration, water solubility, and vitamin C content is critical for utilizing pine needle powders (PNP) as a novel ingredient in functional foods. Samples prepared by vacuum-drying showed a significantly higher
- Choi HD, Koh YJ, Choi IW, Kim YS, Park YK. 2007. Anticariogenic activity and glucosyltransferase inhibitory effects of extracts from pine needle and twig. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39: 336-341.
- Watanabe K, Momose F, Handa H, Nagata K. 1995. Interaction between influenza virus proteins and pine cone antitumor substance that inhibits the virus multiplication. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 214: 318-323. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1995.2290
- Su XY, Wang ZY, Liu JR. 2009. In vitro and in vivo antioxidant activity of Pinus koraiensis seed extract containing phenolic compounds. Food Chem 117: 681-686. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.04.076
- Zeng WC, Jia LR, Zhang Y, Cen JQ, Chen X, Gao H, Feng S, Huang YN. 2011. Antibrowning and antimicrobial activities of the water-soluble extract from pine needles of Cedrus deodara. J Food Sci 76: C318-C323.
- Zhang JM, Shi XF, Fan B. 2009. Chemical composition and pharmacological activities of Cedrus deodara. Chinese Trad Plant Med 31: 928-933.
- Chen YH, Hsieh PC, Mau JL, Sheu SC. 2011. Antioxidant properties and mutagenicity of Pinus morrisonicola and its vinegar preparation. LWT-Food Sci Technol 44: 1477-1481. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2011.01.016
- Jangam SV. 2011. An overview of recent developments and some R&D challenges related to drying of foods. Drying Technol 29: 1343-1357. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2011.594378
- Karunasena HCP, Brown RJ, Gu YT, Senadeera W. 2015. Application of meshfree methods to numerically simulate microscale deformations of different plant food materials during drying. J Food Eng 146: 209-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2014.09.011
- Diamante LM, Ihns R, Savage GP, Leo Vanhanen L. 2010. A new mathematical model for thin layer drying of fruits. Int J Food Sci Technol 45: 1956-1962. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2010.02345.x
- Lee JH, Zuo L. 2013. Mathematical modeling on vacuum drying of Zizyphus jujuba Miller slices. J Food Sci Technol 50: 115-121. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-011-0312-5
- Giri SK, Prasad S. 2007. Drying kinetics and rehydration characteristics of microwave-vacuum and convective hot-air dried mushrooms. J Food Eng 78: 512-521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2005.10.021
- Krishnan JG, Padmaja G, Moorthy SN, Suja G, Sajeev MS. 2010. Effect of pre-soaking treatments on the nutritional profile and browning index of sweet potato and yam flours. Innovative Food Sci Emerging Technol 11: 387-393. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2010.01.010
- Medcalf DG, Gilles KA. 1965. Wheat starches. I. Comparison of physicochemical properties. Cereal Chem 42: 558-568.
- DuBois M, Giles KA, Hamilton JK, Rebers PA, Smith F. 1956. Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Anal Chem 28: 350-356. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60111a017
- Leach HW, McCowen LD, Schoh T. 1959. Structure of the starch granule. I. Swelling and solubility patterns of various starches. Cereal Chem 36: 534-544.
- Huang LL, Zhang M, Mujumdar AS, Lim RX. 2011. Comparison of four drying methods for re-structured mixed potato with apple chips. J Food Eng 103: 279-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2010.10.025
- Chung SK, Choi JU. 1990. The effects of drying methods on the quality of the garlic powder. Korean J Food Sci Technol 22: 44-49.
- Liu X, Qiu Z, Wang L, Chen Y. 2011. Quality evaluation of Panax notoginseng extract dried by different drying methods. Food Bioprod Process 89: 10-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbp.2010.03.008
- Lee MJ, Seog EJ, Lee JH. 2007. Physicochemical properties of chaga (Inonotus obliquus) mushroom powder as influenced by drying methods. J Food Sci Nutr 12: 40-45. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2007.12.1.040
- Duan X, Zhang M, Mujumdar AS, Wang S. 2010. Microwave freeze drying of sea cucumber (Stichopus japonicus). J Food Eng 96: 491-497. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2009.08.031
- Kim HR, Seog EJ, Lee JH, Rhim JW. 2007. Physicochemical properties of onion powder as influenced by drying methods. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 342-347. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.3.342
- Son SM, Lee JH. 2011. Physicochemical and SEM studies on Capsosiphon fulvescens powders prepared using different drying methods. Res J BioTechnol 6: 50-54.
- Lee JH, Kwak EJ, Kim JS, Lee YS. 2007. Quality characteristics of sponge cake added with mesangi (Capsosiphon fulvescens) powder. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 83-89.
- Kim JM, Lee YC, Kim KO. 2003. Effects of convection oven dehydration conditions on the physicochemical and sensory properties of ginkgo nut powder. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 393-398.
- Kim HJ, Lee JH. 2009. Physicochemical properties of Salicornia herbacea powder as influenced by drying methods. Food Eng Prog 13: 105-109.
- Kim BJ. 2004. Effects of drying and extraction conditions on the chemical composition of water extract in Lycium chinense Miller. MS Thesis. Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
- Klimczak I, GliszczyNska-Swiglo A. 2015. Comparison of UPLC and HPLC methods for determination of vitamin C. Food Chem 175: 100-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.11.104
- Ozyurek M, Guclu K, Bektasoglu B, Apak R. 2007. Spectrophotometric determination of ascorbic acid by the modified CUPRAC method with extractive separation of flavonoids- La(III) complexes. Anal Chim Acta 588: 88-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2007.01.078
- Valente A, Sanches-Silva A, Albuquerque TG, Costa HS. 2014. Development of an orange juice in-house reference material and its application to guarantee the quality of vitamin C determination in fruits, juices and fruit pulps. Food Chem 154: 71-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.12.053
- Screening Quality Evaluation Factors of Freeze-Dried Peach (Prunus Persica L. Batsch) Powders from Different Ripening Time Cultivars vol.2017, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/7213694
- Physicochemical characteristics of kimchi powder manufactured by hot air drying and freeze drying vol.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcab.2016.02.002