- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of NaCl Addition on Rheological Behaviors of Commercial Gum-Based Food Thickener Used for Dysphagia Diets
- Cho, Hyun-Moon (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Dongguk University) ;
- Yoo, Whachun (Rheosfood Inc.) ;
- Yoo, Byoungseung (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Dongguk University)
- Received : 2015.03.10
- Accepted : 2015.04.24
- Published : 2015.06.30
Rheological properties of thickened fluids used for consumption by people with dysphagia (swallowing difficulty) are very sensitive to several factors, such as thickener type, temperature, pH, sugar, protein, and NaCl. In this study, steady and dynamic rheological properties of thickened water samples mixed with five commercial xanthan gum-based food thickeners (A~E) were studied in the presence of NaCl at different concentrations (0.3%, 0.6%, 0.9%, and 1.2%). The magnitudes of apparent viscosity (
Grant : 미래기반 식품산업 Smart 인력양성사업팀- 식품품질 및 안전관리-
- Seo CW, Yoo B. 2013. Steady and dynamic shear rheological properties of gum-based food thickeners used for diet modification of patients with dysphagia: effect of concentration. Dysphagia 28: 205-211. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-012-9433-x
- Pelletier CA. 1997. A comparison of consistency and taste of five commercial thickeners. Dysphagia 12: 74-78. https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00009522
- Stanek K, Hensley C, Van Riper C. 1992. Factors affecting use of food and commercial agents to thicken liquids for individuals with swallowing disorders. J Am Diet Assoc 92: 488-490.
- Sopade PA, Halley PJ, Cichero JAY, Ward LC, Liu J, Varliveli S. 2008. Rheological characterization of food thickeners marketed in Australia in various media for the management of dysphagia. III. Fruit juice as a dispersing medium. J Food Eng 86: 604-615. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2007.11.013
- Garcia JM, Chambers E 4th, Matta Z, Clark M. 2005. Viscosity measurements of nectar- and honey-thick liquids: product, liquid, and time comparisons. Dysphagia 20: 325-335. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-005-0034-9
- Adeleye B, Rachal C. 2007. Comparison of the rheological properties of ready-to-serve and powdered instant foodthickened beverages at different temperatures for dysphagic patients. J Am Diet Assoc 107: 1176-1182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2007.04.011
- Hong SR, Sun DS, Yoo W, Yoo B. 2012. Flow behaviors of commercial food thickeners used for the management of dysphagia: effect of temperature. Int J Food Eng 8: DOI:10.1515/1556-3758.2215. https://doi.org/10.1515/1556-3758.2215
- Sopade PA, Halley PJ, Cichero JAY, Ward LC. 2007. Rheological characterisation of food thickeners marketed in Australia in various media for the management of dysphagia. I: Water and cordial. J Food Eng 79: 69-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2006.01.045
- Sopade PA, Halley PJ, Cichero JAY, Ward LC, Hui LS, Teo KH. 2008. Rheological characterisation of food thickeners marketed in Australia in various media for the management of dysphagia. II. Milk as a dispersing medium. J Food Eng 84: 553-562. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2007.06.024
- Rosett TR, Hamill T, Morris K, Klein BP. 1997. Taste qualities of reduced-sodium soups as affected by serving temperature. J Food Sci 62: 421-424. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1997.tb04017.x
- Cho HM, Yoo W, Yoo B. 2012. Steady and dynamic rheological properties of thickened beverages used for dysphagia diets. Food Sci Biotechnol 21: 1775-1779. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-012-0237-4
- Urlacher B, Noble O. 1997. Xanthan gum. In Thickening and Gelling Agents for Food. Imeson AP, ed. Chapman & Hall, London, UK. p 284-311.
- Szczesniak AS, Farkas E. 1963. Objective characterization of the mouthfeel of gum solutions. J Food Sci 27: 381-385.
- Funami T. 2011. Next target for food hydrocolloid studies: texture design of foods using hydrocolloid technology. Food Hydrocoll 25: 1904-1914. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2011.03.010
- Steele CM, Van Lieshout PH, Goff HD. 2003. The rheology of liquids: a comparison of clinicians' subjective impressions and objective measurement. Dysphagia 18: 182-195. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-002-0104-1
- BeMiller JN. 2007. Carbohydrate chemistry for food scientists. 2nd ed. AACC International, Inc., St. Paul, MN, USA. p 263-270.
- Sereno NM, Hill SE, Mitchell JR. 2007. Impact of the extrusion process on xanthan gum behaviour. Carbohydr Res 342: 1333-1342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carres.2007.03.023
- Meyer EL, Fuller GG, Clark RC, Kulicke WM. 1993. Investigation of xanthan gum solution behavior under shear flow using rheooptical techniques. Macromolecules 26: 504-511. https://doi.org/10.1021/ma00055a016
- Wyatt NB, Liberatore MW. 2010. The effect of counterion size and valency on the increase in viscosity in polyelectrolyte solutions. Soft Matter 6: 3346-3352. https://doi.org/10.1039/c000423e
- Payne C, Methven L, Fairfield C, Bell A. 2011. Consistently inconsistent: commercially available starch-based dysphagia products. Dysphagia 26: 27-33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00455-009-9263-7
- Optimizing Texture Modified Foods for Oro-pharyngeal Dysphagia: A Difficult but Possible Target? vol.5, pp.2296-861X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2018.00068