- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Oral Administration of a Hot Water Extract of the Softshell Turtle (Trionyx sinensis) Improves Exercise Performance
- Harwanto, Dicky (Department of Biotechnology, Pukyong National University) ;
- Lee, Gong-Hyeon (Department of Biotechnology, Pukyong National University) ;
- Park, Sun-Mee (Institute of Marine Biotechnology, Pukyong National University) ;
- Choi, Jae-Suk (Department of Bio-Food Materials, Silla University) ;
- Kim, Mi-Ryung (Department of Bio-Food Materials, Silla University) ;
- Hong, Yong-Ki (Department of Biotechnology, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2015.03.02
- Accepted : 2015.06.04
- Published : 2015.06.30
Freshwater softshell turtle (Trionyx sinensis) extract has been used traditionally as a tonic soup, and to recover from physical fatigue. To support these claims, the forelimb grip strength of mice was measured after feeding a soft-shell turtle extract for 7 days. The T. sinensis extract significantly increased the grip strength to
- Mehta RK, Agnew MJ. 2012. Influence of mental workload on muscle endurance, fatigue, and recovery during intermittent static work. Eur J Appl Physiol 112: 2891-2902. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-011-2264-x
- Marquez R, Santangelo G, Sastre J, Goldschmidt P, Luyckx J, Pallardo FV, Vina J. 2001. Cyanoside chloride and chromocarbe diethylamine are more effective than vitamin C against exercise-induced oxidative stress. Pharmacol Toxicol 89: 255-258. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0773.2001.d01-156.x
- Wang J, Li S, Fan Y, Chen Y, Liu D, Cheng H, Gao X, Zhou Y. 2010. Anti-fatigue activity of the water-soluble polysaccharides isolated from Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer. J Ethnopharmacol 130: 421-423. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.05.027
- Huang CC, Hsu MC, Huang WC, Yang HR, Hou CC. 2012. Triterpenoid-rich extract from Antrodia camphorata improves physical fatigue and exercise performance in mice. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012: 364741.
- Ni W, Gao T, Wang H, Du Y, Li J, Li C, Wei L, Bi H. 2013. Anti-fatigue activity of polysaccharides from the fruits of four Tibetan plateau indigenous medicinal plants. J Ethnopharmacol 150: 529-535. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2013.08.055
- Chen TH, Chang HC, Lue KY. 2009. Unregulated trade in turtle shells for Chinese traditional medicine in East and Southeast Asia: the case of Taiwan. Chelonian Conserv Biol 8: 11-18. https://doi.org/10.2744/CCB-0747.1
- Park JY. 2013. Korean Fisheries Yearbook. 41st ed. Choi GR, ed. Korea Fisheries Association, Seoul, Korea. p 507.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. 1951. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193: 265-275.
- Li X, Mohan S, Gu W, Wergedal J, Baylink DJ. 2001. Quantitative assessment of forearm muscle size, forelimb grip strength, forearm bone mineral density, and forearm bone size in determining humerus breaking strength in 10 inbred strains of mice. Calcif Tissue Int 68: 365-369. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-001-0004-7
- Golde WT, Gollobin P, Rodriguez LL. 2005. A rapid, simple, and humane method for submandibular bleeding of mice using a lancet. Lab Anim (NY) 34: 39-43.
- Saggu S, Kumar R. 2008. Effect of seabuckthorn leaf extracts on circulating energy fuels, lipid peroxidation and antioxidant parameters in rats during exposure to cold, hypoxia and restraint (C-H-R) stress and post stress recovery. Phytomedicine 15: 437-446. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2007.11.002
- Liu J, Willför S, Xu C. 2015. A review of bioactive plant polysaccharides: biological activities, functionalization, and biomedical applications. Bioact Carbohydr Diet Fibre 5: 31-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcdf.2014.12.001
- Garrett RH, Grisham CM. 2006. Biochemistry. 3rd ed. Brooks/Cole Publishing Co., Belmont, CA, USA. p 1086.
- Kumar GP, Anand T, Singsit D, Khanum F, Anilakumar KR. 2013. Evaluation of antioxidant and anti-fatigue properties of Trigonella foenum-graecum L. in rats subjected to weight loaded forced swim test. Pharmacogn J 5: 66-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phcgj.2013.03.005
- Washington TA, Healey JM, Thompson RW, Lowe LL, Carson JA. 2014. Lactate dehydrogenase regulation in aged skeletal muscle: regulation by anabolic steroids and functional overload. Exp Gerontol 57: 66-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exger.2014.05.003
- Bigard AX, Zoll J, Ribera F, Mateo P, Sanchez H, Serrurier B, Ventura-Clapier R. 2001. Influence of overload on phenotypic remodeling in regenerated skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 281: C1686-C1694. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpcell.2001.281.5.C1686
- Qi B, Liu L, Zhang H, Zhou GX, Wang S, Duan XZ, Bai XY, Wang SM, Zhao DQ. 2014. Anti-fatigue effects of proteins isolated from Panax quinquefolium. J Ethnopharmacol 153: 430-434. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2014.02.045
- Wu CY, Chen R, Wang XS, Shen B, Yue W, Wu Q. 2013. Antioxidant and anti-fatigue activities of phenolic extract from the seed coat of Euryale ferox Salisb. and identification of three phenolic compounds by LC-ESI-MS/MS. Molecules 18: 11003-11021. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules180911003
- Cai Q, Rahn RO, Zhang R. 1997. Dietary flavonoids, quercetin, luteolin and genistein, reduce oxidative DNA damage and lipid peroxidation and quench free radicals. Cancer Lett 119: 99-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(97)00261-9
- Walberg JL, Greenwood MR, Stern JS. 1983. Lipoprotein lipase activity and lipolysis after swim training in obese Zucker rats. Am J Physiol 245: 706-712.
- Jung KA, Kim IH, Han DS. 2004. Effect of medicinal plant extracts on forced swimming capacity in mice. J Ethnopharmacol 93: 75-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2004.03.022
- Pathogenic microorganisms, heavy metals, and antibiotic residues in seven Korean freshwater aquaculture species vol.25, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-016-0228-y