- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Reduction of Maximum Hydration Temperature in Cement Paste Using Calcium Silicate Hydrates and Glucose
칼슘실리케이트 수화물과 포도당을 이용한 시멘트 페이스트의 최대 수화온도 저감
- Moon, Hoon (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Pukyong University) ;
- Kim, Hyeong-Keun (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Pukyong University) ;
- Ryu, Eun-Ji (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Pukyong University) ;
- Jin, Eun-Ji (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Pukyong University) ;
- Chung, Chul-Woo (Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Pukyong University)
- Received : 2014.11.10
- Accepted : 2015.03.02
- Published : 2015.06.30
In this study, a method to reduce temperature rise due to hydration in mass concrete is investigated. It is to use retarder (glucose) for reducing heat of hydration and to use calcium silicate hydrate (C-S-H) for compensating the retardation effect due to its role as a nucleation seed. For this purpose, the temperature rise of cement paste due to hydration was measured and the effect of using both C-S-H and glucose on setting and 28-day compressive strength of mortar specimens was investigated. According to the experimental results, using C-S-H and glucose caused the reduction in the maximum temperature but accelerated the time to reach the maximum temperature compared to that of retarded cement paste using glucose. In addition, using C-S-H and glucose did not show significant effect on 28-day compressive strength of mortar specimens, indicating that the method shown in this study can be a successful alternative to control maximum temperature rise in mass concrete.
Supported by : 부경대학교
- Jung, J. D., Jo, H. D., and Park, S. W., "Properties of Hydration Heat of High-strength Concrete and Reduction Strategy for Heat Production", Journal of the Korea Institute of Building Construction, Vol.12, No.2, 2012, pp. 203-210. https://doi.org/10.5345/JKIBC.2012.12.2.203
- Kang, S. H., Jeong, H. J., and Park, C. L., "Evaluation on the External Restraint Stress in Mass Concrete", Journal of Korea Concrete Institute, Vol.8, No.5, 1996, pp. 111-122.
- Yoo, D. S., Sim, B. K., Yoon, C. W., and Han, C. G., "A Study on the Control of Hydration Heat of Mass Concrete Using Super retarding agent", Journal of Korea Concrete Institute, Vol.13, No.1, 2001, pp. 469-474.
- Park, W. T., "A Study of the Thermal Analysis for the Crack Control of Underground Pier Footing," Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection, Vol. 10, No.2, 2006, pp. 91-101.
- Baek, D. I. and Kim, M. S., "Application of heat pipe for hydration heat control of mass concrete", Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, Vol.20, No.2, 2008, pp. 157-164. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2008.20.2.157
- Seo, T. S. and Cho, Y. G., "Analytical Study on Thermal Cracking Control of Mass Concrete by Vertical Pipe Cooling Method," Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, Vol.26, No.1, 2014, pp. 57-62. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2014.26.1.057
- Chung, C. W. and Kim, Y. S., "A study on the Frost Resistance of High-Volume Fly Ash Concrete", Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Structure & Construction, Vol.16, No.3, 2000, pp. 61-68.
- Lee, J. W. and Kim, Y. S. "A study on Steel Corrosion Resistance of High Volume Fly Ash Concrete," Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Structure & Construction, Vol.21, No.2, 2001, pp. 439-442.
- Ryu, D. W., Kim, W. J., Yang, W. H., and Park, D. C., "An Experimental Study on the Carbonation and Drying Shrinkage of Concrete Using High Volumes of Ground Granulated Blast-furnace Slag", Journal of the Korea Institute of Building Construction, Vol.12, No.4, 2012, pp. 393-400. https://doi.org/10.5345/JKIBC.2012.12.4.393
- Mindess, S., Young, J. F., and Darwin, D., Concrete, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, 2003, pp. 176-181.
- Taylor, H. F. W., Cement Chemistry, London, 1997, pp. 323-328.
- Mindess, S., Young, J. F., and Darwin, D., Concrete, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, 2003, pp. 200-205.
- Moon, H., Kim, J. H., Cho, Y. H., Lee, J. Y., and Chung, C. W., "Effect of Sugar and Hydrated Cement Powder on the Reduction in Heat of Hydration", Journal of the Korea Institute of Building Construction, Vol.14, No.2, 2014, pp. 135-142. https://doi.org/10.5345/JKIBC.2014.14.2.135
- Thomas, J. J., Jennings, H. W., and Chen, J. J., "Influence of nucleation seeding on the hydration mechanisms of tricalcium silicate and cement", The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Vol.113, No.11, 2009, pp. 4327-4334. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp809811w
- Cong, X. and Kirkpatrick, R. J., "SI MAS NMR Study of the Structure of Calcium Silicate Hydrate," Advanced Cement Based Materials, Vol.3, pp. 144-156.
- Christensen, B. J., "Time of Setting," Significance of Tests and Properties of Concrete and Concrete-Making Materials, ASTM STP 169D, Lamond and Pielert, Eds., ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2006, pp. 86-98.