- Volume 40 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on Radiochemical Pre-treatment Methods for Airborne Uranium-Isotropic Analysis
공기 중 우라늄 동위원소 분석을 위한 방사화학 전처리방법에 대한 비교 분석 연구
- Kang, Han-Byeol (Korea Institute of Nuclear Non-proliferation and Control) ;
- Chung, Heejun (Korea Institute of Nuclear Non-proliferation and Control) ;
- Park, Seunghoon (Korea Institute of Nuclear Non-proliferation and Control) ;
- Shin, Jung-Ki (Korea Institute of Nuclear Non-proliferation and Control) ;
- Kwak, Sung-Woo (Korea Institute of Nuclear Non-proliferation and Control)
- Received : 2015.02.16
- Accepted : 2015.06.11
- Published : 2015.06.30
Alpha spectrometry is typically used for the assessment of uranium particle concentrations and its accuracy can be directly related to the accuracy in which the radiochemical pre-treatment is conducted. Ashing and alkali fusion methods are typically used but the ashing method requires longer analysis time and the alkali fusion method is extremely costly. Therefore, a new pre-treatment method using ultrasonic cleaning was developed and its experimental result was compared against the two conventional methods in terms of pre-treatment time, convenience, cost, and recovery rate of a target material. The results that were obtained by the conventional methods(ashing and alkali fusion) and the new method were compared. Consequently, even though the shorter pre-treatment time was required, the new technique showed almost same recovery rate comparing with two conventional methods. The new method was also featured by its relatively lower cost and a simpler process than two conventional methods.
- Riekkinen I, Jaakkola T, Pulli S, Salminen S, Ristonmaa S, Rosenberg R, Zilliacus R. Analytical methods for wide area environmental sampling(WAES) for air filters. STUK-YTO-TR report No184. 2002.
- Sherrod L. Maxwell III, Brian K. Culligan, GWN. Rapid separation method for actinides in emergency air filter samples. Appl Radiat Isotopes. 2010; 68(12):2125-2131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apradiso.2010.05.018
- Salminen S. Development of analytical methods for the separation of plutonium, americium, curium and neptunium from environmental samples. Dissertations for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry. University of Helsinki. Helsinki. Finland. 2009.
- IAEA. A procedure for the rapid determination of Pu isotopes and Am-241 in soil and sediment samples by alpha spectrometry. IAEA Analytical Quality in Nuclear Applications Series NO 11. Vienna. Austria. 2009.
- Galindo C, Mougin L, Nourreddine A. An improved radiochemical separation of uranium and thorium in environmental samples involving peroxide fusion. Appl Radiat Isotopes. 2007;65(1): 9-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apradiso.2006.05.012
- Milliard A, Durand-jezequel M, Lariviere D. Sequential automated fusion/extraction chromatography methodology for the dissolution of uranium in environmental samples for mass spectrometric determination. Anal Chim Acta. 2011; 684(1-2):40-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2010.10.037
- Rudisill TS, Karraker DG. Development of a sodium peroxide pre-treatment process for the recovery of plutonium from refractory residues. U.S. Department of Energy WSRC-TR-2001-00348. 2001.
- Muthukumaran S, Yang K, Seuren A, Kentish S, Ashokkumar M, Stevens GW, Grieser F. The use of ultrasonic cleaning for ultrafiltration membranes in the dairy industry. Sep Purif Technol. 2004;39:99-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2003.12.013
- Park BG, Son YG, Hwang AN, Kim GH. Investigation for optimization of ultrasonic soilwashing process for remediation of diesel contamminated soil. J Korean Soc Hazard Mitig. 2011;11(1):101-105. https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2011.11.1.101
- Awad SB, Nagarajan R. Ultrasonic cleaning. In: R. Kohli, K. L. Mittal. Developments in Surface Contamination and Cleaning. 1st ed. Amsterdam. Netherlands; Elsevier. 2009:225-280.
- Crawford AE. A practical introduction to ultrasonic cleaning. Ultrasonics. 1963;1(2):65-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/0041-624X(63)90056-8
- Philip Horwitz E, Dietz ML, Chiarizia R, Diamond H, Sherrod L, Maxwell III, Nelson MR. Separation and pre-concentration actinides by extraction chromatography using a supported liquid anion exchanger : application to the characterization of high-level nuclear waste solutions. Anal Chim Act. 1995;310:63-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2670(95)00144-O
- Lee MH, Park TH, Song BC, Park JH, Song KS. A study of simple alpha source preparation using a micro co-precipitation method. Bull Korean Chem Soc. 2012;33(11):3745-3748. https://doi.org/10.5012/bkcs.2012.33.11.3745
Lozano JC, Fernandez F, Gomez JMG. Preparation of alpha-spectrometric sources by coprecipitation with
$Fe(OH)_3$:application to uranium. Appl Radiat Isotopes. 1999;50(3):475-477. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-8043(98)00100-6
- ASTM. Standard test method for mounting actinides for alpha spectrometry using neodymium fluoride. ASTM C1163-98. ASTM International. West Conshohocken. Philadelphia. 1998.
- Lee MH, Lee CW. Preparation of alpha-emitting nuclides by electrodeposition. Nucl Instrum Meth A. 2000;447(3):593-600. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-9002(99)01190-0
- Hallstadius L. A method for the electrodeposition of actinides. Nucl Instrum Meth A. 1984;223: 266-267. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-5087(84)90659-8
- Dumitru OA, Begy RC, Nita DC, Bobos LD, Cosma C. Uranium electrodeposition for alpha spectrometric source preparation. J Radioanal Nucl Ch. 2013;298:1335-1339. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10967-013-2584-x