- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Exploration of Anger Expression Patterns of Female Nursing Students using Q Methodology
Q방법론을 활용한 여자 간호대학생의 분노표현 양상 탐색
- Received : 2015.02.10
- Accepted : 2015.04.17
- Published : 2015.06.30
The purpose of this study was to identify subjective perception types on anger expression among female nursing students and to investigate characteristics according to the subjective perception types. In order to achieve this purpose, the study used Q-methodology. There were 30 study participants and they completed the Q-sort activity, rating each statement relative to the others using 32 Q statements. The data were analyzed using the QUANL PC program. There were three types of forms extracted from anger expressions among female nursing students; a type on 'embracive soothing', a type on 'reasonable expression', and a type on 'ambivalence over emotional expression'. The commonality of the three types were: talking about their anger emotions with others, asking for help in religion and pushing their opponent. Therefore, Adequate strategies based on anger expression types need to be developed to resolve anger among female nursing students.
- Alpers, R..Jarrell, K. & Wotring, R.(2012). The subtle curriculum: What are we really teaching our students. Teaching and Learning in Nursing, 7, 78-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.teln.2012.02.002
- Arieli, D.(2013). Emotional work and diversity in clinical placements of nursing students. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 45(2), 192-201. https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12020
- Baker, R..Exel, J..Mason, H. & Stricklin, M.(2010). Connecting Q & surveys: Three methods to explore factor membership in large samples. Operant Subjectivity: The International Journal of Q Methodology, 34(1), 38-58.
- Baldacchino, D. R.(2012). Student nurses' personality traits and the nursing profession: Part 1. British Journal of Nursing, 21, 419-425. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2012.21.7.419
- Burnard, P..Binti, H. T..Hayes, D. & Edwards, D.(2007). A descriptive study of Bruneian student nurses' perceptions of stress. Nurse Education Today, 27, 808-818. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2006.11.002
- Celebioglu, A..Akpinar, R. B..Koglu, S. & Engin, R.(2010). Violence experienced by Turkish nursing students in clinical settings: Their emotions and behaviors. Nurse Education Today, 30, 687-691. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.01.006
- Cha, N. H..Sok, S. R.(2014). Depression, self-esteem and anger expression patterns of Korean nursing students. International Nursing Review, 61, 109-115. https://doi.org/10.1111/inr.12076
- Chipas, A..Cordrey, D..Floyd, D..Grubbs, L..Miller, S. & Tyre, B.(2012). Stress: Perceptions, manifestations, and coping mechanisms of student registered nurse anesthetists. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Journal, 80(4), S49-S55.
- Civitci N. (2007). Multidimensional school anger scale of the Turkish to adaptation: validity and reliability studies. Pamukkale universitesi Egitim Fakultesi Dergisi, 22, 9-109.
- Curtis, J..Bowen, I. & Reid, A.(2007). You have no credibility: Nursing students' experiences of horizontal violence. Nurse Education in Practice, 7(3), 156-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2006.06.002
- Dahlqvist, V..Soderberg, A. & Norberg, A.(2008). Dealing with stress: Patterns of self-comfort among healthcare students. Nurse Education Today, 28(4), 476-484. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2007.07.010
- Decker, J. L..Shellenbarger, T.(2012). Strategies for nursing faculty to promote a healthy work environment for nursing students. Teaching and Learning in Nursing, 7(2), 56-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.teln.2010.12.001
- Deffenbacher, J. L.(2011). Cognitive-behavioral conceptualization and treatment of anger. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 18, 212-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpra.2009.12.004
- Gahagan, J..Stuart, M.(2006). The second year experience: Turning attention to the academy's middle. About Campus, 11(3), 17-22. https://doi.org/10.1002/abc.168
- Gibbons, C..Dempster, M. & Moutray, M.(2009). Surveying nursing students on their sources of stress: A validation study. Nursing Education Today, 29(8), 867-872. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.04.008
- Gibbons, C..Dempster, M. & Moutray, M.(2011). Stress, coping and satisfaction in nursing students. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 67(3), 621-632. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05495.x
- Goff, A.(2011). Stressors, academic performance, and learned resourcefulness in baccalaureate nursing students. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 8(1), 1-20. https://doi.org/10.2202/1548-923X.2114
- Condon, M..Ruth-Sahd, L.(2013). Responding to introverted and shy students: Best practice guidelines for educators and advisors. Open Journal of Nursing, 3, 503-515. https://doi.org/10.4236/ojn.2013.37069
- Hawker, C. L.(2012). Physical activity and mental well-being in student nurses. Nurse Education Today, 32, 325-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.07.013
- Jung, Ha-Yun.Kwon, Jeong-Ok(2013). A Study on the Stress, Self-Esteem, and Mental-Health in Nursing Students, The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 7(4), 191-204. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.4.191
- Kang, Jung.Rhee, Young-Sun(2013). A study on low-income patients' experience and perception of medical care utilization: Focusing on a Q-Methodology approach, Journal of Human Subjectivity, 27, 129-147.
- Kim, Gyung-Hee.Kim, Kye-Ha(2012). Factors related to happiness in first year women nursing students, Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 21(2), 149-57. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2012.21.2.149
- Kim, Hung-Kyu(2008). Q methodology: philosophy, theories, analysis, and application. Seoul: Communicationbooks.
- Kim, Myoung-Hee(2013), Factors affecting mental health among college students- sassang constitution and ego state centered approach, Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 27(3), 564-577. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.3.564
- Kim, Myung-Ae.Ko, Sung-Hee.Park, Euna.Park, Jeong-Eon.Jung, Bok-Hee & Kim, Sun-Hee(2010). Types of anger expression in clinical nurses: q methodology, Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 16(1), 107-117.
- Kitaneh, M..Hamdan, M.(2012). Workplace violence against physicians and nurses in Palestinian public hospitals: a cross-sectional study. BMC Health Services Research, 12, 469. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-12-469
- Kendall, S..Bloomfield, L.(2005). Developing and validating a tool to measure parenting self efficacy. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 51(2), 174-181. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03479.x
- Laschinger, H. S..Leiter, M..Day, A. & Gilin, D.(2009). Workplace empowerment, incivility, and burnout: Impact on staff nurse recruitment and retension outcomes. Journal of Nursing Management, 17(3), 302-311. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2009.00999.x
- Lash, A. A..Kulaka, O..Buldukoglu, K. & Kukulu, K.(2006). Verbal abuse of nursing and midwifery students in clinical settings in Turkey. The Journal of Nursing Education, 45, 396.
- Lee, Nae-Young.Han, Ji-Young(2014). Effect of spiritual well-being on mental health in nursing students, Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 23(1), 22-28.
- Longo, J..Sherman, R.(2007). Leveling horizontal violence. Nursing Management, 38(3), 34-37, 50-51. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NUMA.0000262925.77680.e0
- Magnavita, N..Heponiemi, T.(2011). Workplace violence against nursing students and nurses: An Italian experience. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 43(2), 203-210. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2011.01392.x
- Pryjmachuk, S..Easton, K., & Littlewood, A.(2009). Nurse education: Factors associated with attrition. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 65(1), 149-160. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04852.x
- Rees, C..Monrouxe, L. V. & McDonald, L. A.(2013). Narrative, emotion and action: Analyzing 'most memorable' professionalism dilemmas. Medical Education, 47, 80-96. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2923.2012.04302.x
- Reeve, K. L..Shumaker, C. J..Yearwood, E. L..Crowell, N. A. & Riley, J. B.(2013). Perceived stress and social support in undergraduate nursing students' educational experiences. Nurse Education Today, 33, 419-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.11.009
- Rowbotham, M. A.(2010). Teacher perspectives and the psychosocial climate of the classroom in a traditional BSN program. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 7(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.2202/1548-923X.1808
- Roy, D..Gillespie, M.(2011). Who cares for the carers? A student's experience of providing carer support and education. British Journal of Nursing, 20(8), 484-488. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2011.20.8.484
- Shaban, I. A..Khater, W. A. & Akhu-Zaheya, L. M.(2012). Undergraduate nursing students' stress sources and coping behaviours during their initial period of clinical training: A Jordanian perspective. Nurse Education in Practice, 12(4), 204-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2012.01.005
- Sung, Ki-Wol.Kwag, Oh-Gye & Lee Won-Hee(2010). Comparison of anger expression, assertive behavior, and self-esteem between a nursing student group and an educational student group, Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 21(1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.1.1
- Tashakkori, A..Teddlie, C.(2009). Foundations of mixed methods research: Integrating quantitative and qualitative approaches in the social and behavioral sciences. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Taylor, H..Reyes, H.(2012). Self-efficacy and resilience in Baccalaureate nursing students. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 9(1), 1-13.
- Timmins, F..Corroon, M..Byrne, G. & Mooney, B.(2011). The challenge of contemporary nurse education programmes. Perceived stressors of nursing students: mental health and related lifestyle issues. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 18(9), 758-766. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2850.2011.01780.x
- Uner, S..Ozcebe, H..Telatar, T. & Tezcan, S.(2008). Assessment of mental health of university students with GHQ-12. Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences, 38(5), 437-446.
- Whang, Sang-Min & Choi, Eun-Hye(2002). The implementation of Q methodology in psychological research and the interpretation of its result: The duet of objectivity and subjectivity. Journal of Human Subjectivity, 7, 4-26.
- Yu, Eun-Yeong(2009). Relationships between stress-coping schemes and mental health for health department and non-health department college students, Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 9(12), 718-729. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.12.718
- Yu, Su-Jeong.Song, Mi-Ryeong & Kim, Eun-Man (2014). Factors influencing depression among nursing students, Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, ()20(1), 71-80. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.71
- Comparing anger, anger expression, life stress and social support between Korean female nursing and general university students vol.73, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.13354
- Influence of Stress and Resilience on Student Adjustment to College Life in Senior Nursing Students vol.30, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2018.06.30.3.1075