- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Flower and Microspore Development in 'Campbell Early' (Vitis labruscana) and 'Tamnara' (V. spp.) Grapes
'캠벨얼리'와 '탐나라' 포도의 꽃과 소포자 발달
- Yim, Bomi (Department of Life Science, The Catholic University of Korea) ;
- Mun, Jeong-Hwan (Department of Bioscience and Bioinformatics, Myongji University) ;
- Jeong, Young-Min (Department of Life Science, The Catholic University of Korea) ;
- Hur, Youn Young (Fruit Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Yu, Hee-Ju (Department of Life Science, The Catholic University of Korea)
- 임보미 (가톨릭대학교 생명.환경학부 생명과학전공) ;
- 문정환 (명지대학교 생명과학정보학부) ;
- 정영민 (가톨릭대학교 생명.환경학부 생명과학전공) ;
- 허윤영 (국립원예특작과학원 과수과) ;
- 유희주 (가톨릭대학교 생명.환경학부 생명과학전공)
- Received : 2014.12.12
- Accepted : 2014.12.30
- Published : 2015.06.30
The majority of cultivated varieties of grape have perfect flowers that are clustered in an individual inflorescence. Grape flower has a single pistil, five stamens, a protective flower cap (calyptra), and a calyx. After fertilization, an individual flower develops into a single berry. Although there are a number of reported studies focusing on berry formation, berry enlargement, and sugar accumulation in grape, the morphological studies of flower, including gametophyte morphogenesis and structural change in floral organs, have not yet been studied in detail. In this study, we investigated the flower structure and development characteristics of grape using microscopy and defined the floral development stages 9 to 13 based on microspore or male gametophyte development stage from tetrad to mature pollen. We used seeded diploid table grapes 'Campbell Early' (Vitis labruscana) and 'Tamnara' (V. spp.) as plant materials. At floral development stage 9, pollen mother cells develop to tetrads. During floral development stages 10 to 11, unicellular microspore develop to mid bicellular pollen. At the end of floral stage 12, male gametophyte develops to mature tricelluar pollen. In floral stage 13, the flower cap falls off and flower bud opens. During floral development stages 9 to 12, there were no major changes in calyx length, whereas the length of the flower cap continuously increased. The flower cap-to-calyx length ratio was 2.0, 3.0, 4.5, and 6.5 at floral stages 9, 10, 11, and 12, respectively. The flower cap-to-calyx length ratio was consistent in the two grape cultivars, suggesting that the ratio is a morphological character representing floral development stage. This study provides a reference for determining floral development stage of the two grape cultivars. It will be useful for the determination of optimum time for microspore culture needed to generate doubled haploid lines and appropriate gibberellic acid treatment needed to induce parthenocarpic fruit development in 'Tamnara' grape.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청, 가톨릭대학교
- Abreu, I., I. Costa, M. Oliveira, M. Cunha, and R. de Castro. 2006. Ultrastructure and germination of Vitis vinifera cv. Loureiro pollen. Protoplasma 228:131-135. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00709-006-0167-1
- Berger, F. and D. Twell. 2011. Germline specification and function in plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 62:461-484. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-arplant-042110-103824
- Borg, M., L. Brownfield, and D. Twell. 2009. Male gametophyte development: a molecular perspective. J. Exp. Bot. 60:1465-1478. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/ern355
- Boss, P.K., E. Sensi, C. Hua, C. Davies, and M.R. Thomas. 2002. Cloning and characterisation of grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.) MADS-box genes expressed during inflorescence and berry developmen. Plant Sci. 162:887-895. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-9452(02)00034-1
- Bowman, J.L., D.R. Smyth, and E.M. Meyerowitz. 1991. Genetic interactions among floral homeotic genes of Arabidopsis. Development 112:1-20.
- Coombe, B.G. 1995. Growth stages of the grapevine: Adoption of a system for identifying grapevine growth stages. Austral. J. Grape Wine Res. 1:104-110. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1755-0238.1995.tb00086.x
- Dokoozlian, N.K. 2000. Grape berry growth and development, p. 30-37. In: L.P. Christensen (ed.). Raisin production manual. Agricultural Natural Resources Communication Services. CA.
- Eichhorn, K.W. and H. Lorenz. 1977. Phaenologische Entwicklungstadien der Rebe. Nachrichtenblatt des Deutschen Pflanzenschutzdienstes 29:119-120.
- Fernandezl, L., J. Chaïb, J.M. Martínez-Zapater, M.R. Thomas, and L. Torregrosa. 2013. Mis-expression of a PISTILLATA-like MADS box gene prevents fruit development in grapevine. Plant J. 73:918-928. https://doi.org/10.1111/tpj.12083
- Jung, C.J., Y.Y. Hur, H.-J. Yu, J.-H. Noh, K.-S. Park, and H.J. Lee. 2014. Gibberellin application at pre-bloom in grapevines down-regulates the expressions of VvIAA9 and VvARF7, negative regulators of fruit set initiation, during parthenocarpic fruit development. Plos One 9:e95634. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0095634
- Lebon, G., G, Wojnarowiez, B. Holzapfel, F. Fontaine, N. Vaillant- Gaveau, and C. Clement. 2008. Sugars and flowering in the grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.). J. Exp. Bot. 59:2565-2578. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/ern135
- Müller, A. 1961. Zur Charakterisierung der Bluten und Infloreszenzen von Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Die Kulturpflanze 9:364-393. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02095757
- Park, K.S., H.K. Yun, H.S. Suh, S.B. Jeong, and H.M. Coh. 2004. Breeding of early season grape cultivar 'Tamnara' (Vitis hybrid) with high quality and disease resistance. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 22:458-461.
- Poupin, M.J., F. Federici, C. Medina, J.T. Matus, T. Timmermann, and P. Arce-Johnson. 2007. Isolation of the three grape sub-lineages of B-class MADS-box TM6, PISTILLATA and APETALA3 genes which are differentially expressed during flower and fruit development. Gene 404:10-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gene.2007.08.005
- Regan, S.M. and B.A. Moffatt. 1990. Cytochemical analysis of pollen development in wild-type Arabidopsis and a male-sterile mutant. Plant Cell 2:877-889. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.2.9.877
- Segui'-Simarro, J.M. and F. Nuez. 2008. How microspores transform into haploid embryos: Changes associated with embryogenesis induction and microspore derived embryogenesis. Physiol. Plant. 134:1-12. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3054.2008.01113.x
- Smyth, D.R., J.L. Bowman, and E.M. Meyerowitz. 1990. Early Flower Development in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 2:755-767. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.2.8.755
- Srinivasan, C. and M.G. Mullins. 1981. Physiology of flowering in the grapevine. Amer. J. Enol. Viticulture 32:47-63.
- Twell, D. 2011. Male gametogenesis and germline specification in flowering plants. Sex. Plant Reprod. 24:149-160. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00497-010-0157-5