- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Air Temperature on Growth and Phytochemical Content of Beet and Ssamchoo
온도처리가 비트와 쌈추의 생육과 생리활성 물질 함량에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Sang Gyu (Vegetable Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Sciences, RDA) ;
- Choi, Chang Sun (Vegetable Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Sciences, RDA) ;
- Lee, Hee Ju (Vegetable Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Sciences, RDA) ;
- Jang, Yoon Ah (Vegetable Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Sciences, RDA) ;
- Lee, Jun Gu (Department of Horticulture, Chonbuk National University)
- 이상규 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 채소과) ;
- 최장선 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 채소과) ;
- 이희주 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 채소과) ;
- 장윤아 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 채소과) ;
- 이준구 (전북대학교 원예학과)
- Received : 2014.04.02
- Accepted : 2014.11.02
- Published : 2015.06.30
The consumption of leaf vegetables has been steadily increasing in Korea. Leaf vegetables are used for "Ssam (vegetable wrap-up), eaf vegetables has been steadily increasing in Korea. Leaf vegetables are used for asoned condiments inside several layers of young vegetable leaves. This study investigated the effect of air temperature on the growth and phytochemical contents of beet (Beta vulgaris L.) and Ssamchoo (Brassica lee L. ssp. namai) grown in a closed-type plant factory system where fluorescent lamps were used as an artificial light source. Seeds of beet and Ssamchoo were sown in a peat-lite germination mix. The roots of 20-day-old seedlings were washed, and the seedlings were planted on a styrofoam board and grown in hydroponic beds for 25 days under fluorescent light. Plants were exposed to one of three different air temperature regimes (20, 25 and
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Adams, P. and L.C. Holder. 1992. The susceptibility of modem tomato cultivars to blossom end rot in relation to salinity. J. Hortic. Sci. 67:827-839. https://doi.org/10.1080/00221589.1992.11516315
- Choi, K.Y., E.Y. Yang, D.K. Park, Y.C. Kim. T.C. Seo, H.K. Yun, and H.D. Seo. 2005. Development of nutrient solution for hydroponics of cruciferae leaf vegetables based on nutrientwater absorption rate and the cation ratio. J. Bio-Env. Con. 144:289-297 (in Korean).
- Davey, M.W., M. Van Montagu, D. Inze, M. Sanmartin, A. Kanellis, N. Smirnoff, I. Benzie, J. Strain, D. Favell, J. Fletcher. 2000. Plant L-ascorbic acid: chemistry, function, metabolism, bioavailability and effects of processing. J. Sci. Food Agric., 80:825-860. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(20000515)80:7<825::AID-JSFA598>3.0.CO;2-6
- Dixon, R.A. and N.L. Paiva. 1995. Stress-induced phenyl-propanoid metabolism. Plant Cell 7:1085-1097. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.7.7.1085
- Gutfinger, T. 1981. Polyphenols olive oils. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 58:966-968. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02659771
- Jang, Y.S. 2005. The automatic system of plant factory. Res. Ext. 46:44-47.
- Kang, H.M. and I.S. Kim. 2007. Effect of nutrient solution composition modification on the internal quality of some of leaf vegetable in hydroponics. J. Bio-Env. Con. 16:348-351 (in Korean).
- Kim, J.H. 2009. The present state and future of plant factory. Res. of KREI 61:1-19.
- Lattanzio, V. 2003. Bioactive polyphenols: Their role in quality and storability of fruit and vegetables. J. Appl. Bot. 77:128-146.
- Lee, J.G., S.S. Oh, S.H. Cha, Y.A. Jang, S.Y. Kim, Y.C. Um, and S.R. Cheong. 2010. Effects of red/blue light ratio and short-term light quality conversion on growth and anthocyanin contents of baby leaf lettuce. J. Bio-Env. Con. 19:351-359 (in Korean).
- Lee, Y.B., Y.H. Jin, S.S. Jo, and C.E. Lee. 2000. Lettuce production in factory-style plant production system. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 18:178. (Abstr.)
- Lo Piero, A.R., I. Puglisi, P. Rapisarda, and G. Petrone. 2005. Anthocyanins accumulation and related gene expression in red orange fruit induced by low temperature storage. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:9083-9088. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf051609s
- Moreno, M.I.N., M.I. Isla, A.R. Sampietro, and M.A. Vattuone. 2000. Comparison of the free radical scavenging activity of propolis from several region of Argentina. J. Ethnopharmacol. 71:109-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(99)00189-0
- Oh, M.M., H.N. Trick, and C.B. Rajashekar. 2009. Secondary metabolism and antioxidants are involved in environmental adaptation and stress tolerance in lettuce. J. Plant Physiol. 166:180-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jplph.2008.04.015
- Park, K.W., M.H. Chiang, J.H. Won, and K.H. Jang. 1995. The growth pattern of Chinese leaf vegetables by nutrient solution temperature. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 36:608-613.
- Park, J.E., Y.G. Park, B.R. Jeong, and S.J. Hwang. 2012. Growth and anthocyanin content of lettuce as affected by artificial light source and photoperiod in a closed type production system. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 30:673-679.
- Rajashekar, C.B., E.E. Carey, X. Zhao, and M.M. Oh. 2009. Health-promoting phytochemicals in fruits and vegetables: Impact of abiotic stresses and crop production practices. Functional Plant Sci. Biotechnol. 3:30-38.
- Raskin, L., D.M. Ribnicky, S. Komarnytsky, N. Llic, A. Poulev, N. Borisjuk, A. Brinker, D.A. Moreno, C. Ripoll, N. Yakoby, J.M. OJ.M. OD.A. Moreno, C. Ripoll, N. YakobFridlender. 2002. Plants and human health in the twenty-frist century. Trends Biotechnol. 20:522-531. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-7799(02)02080-2
- Rivero, R.M., J.M. Ruiz, P.C. GarcMa, L.R. La, L.R. M., E. SR. M. Ruiz, P.C. -53 2001. Resistance to cold and heat stress: accumulation of phenolic compounds in tomato and watermelon plants. Plant Sci. 160:315-321. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-9452(00)00395-2
- Schonhof, I., H.P. KlI., H, A. Krumbein, W. Clau Cl, and M. Schreiner. 2007. Effect of temperature increase under low radiation conditions on phytochemicals and ascorbic acid in greenhouse grown broccoli. Agric., Ecosyst. Environ. 119:103-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2006.06.018
- Seo, T.C., H.K. Yun, and C.H. Zhang. 2006. Effect of surfactant addition on Ge absorption and growth of pak-choi and lettuce in DFT culture. J. Bio-Env. Con. 15: 130-135 (in Korean).
- Son, K.H., J.H. Park, D.I. Kim, and M.M. Oh. 2012. Leaf shape index, growth, and phytochemicals in two leaf lettuce cultivars grown under monochromatic light-emitting diodes. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 30:664-672.
- Thompson, H.C., R.W. Langhan, A.J. Both, and L.D. Albright. 1998. Shoot and root temperature effects on lettuce growth in a floating hydroponic system. J. Am. Soc. Hortic. Sci. 123:361-364.
- Um, Y.C., S.S. Oh, J.G. Lee, S.Y. Kim, and Y.A. Jang. 2010. The development of container-type plant factory and growth of leafy vegetables as affected by different light source. J. Bio-Env. Con. 19:333-342 (in Korean).
- Yun, H.K., C.H. Zhang, T.C. Seo, and J.W. Lee. 2006. Effect of selenium application concentration and periods on growth in garlic. J. Bio-Env. Con. 15:346-351 (in Korean).
- Evaluating the effects of a newly developed nutrient solution on growth, antioxidants, and chicoric acid contents in Crepidiastrum denticulatum vol.57, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13580-016-1060-2