- Volume 32 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Relationship between local authority deprivation and activity limitation in adults aged 50 or over
지역 박탈수준과 중고령층의 활동제한의 연관성
- Yoon, Tae-Ho (Department of Preventive & Occupational Medicine, School of Medicine, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Soo-Young (Department of Social Welfare, Kyungsung University) ;
- Yun, Mi-Sook (Department of Preventive & Occupational Medicine, School of Medicine, Pusan National University) ;
- Moon, Kyung-Joo (SSK Research Team, Kyungsung University)
- 윤태호 (부산대학교 의학전문대학원 예방의학및산업의학교실) ;
- 김수영 (경성대학교 사회복지학과) ;
- 윤미숙 (부산대학교 의학전문대학원 예방의학및산업의학교실) ;
- 문경주 (경성대학교 SSK 연구팀)
- Received : 2015.04.29
- Accepted : 2015.06.11
- Published : 2015.06.30
Objectives: As the increasing of the length of the lifespan, more recent policy interest are concerned with how many years of life are lived without functional disability or activity limitation. We investigated the relationship between deprivation and activity limitation at the 251 local authority level. Methods: The data were derived from the 2010 Census 10% sample data. Crude and age-standardized activity limitation rates by gender at the ages of 50 or over and deprivation index were calculated. Mapping and multiple linear regression analysis were applied to explore relationship between area activity limitation and area deprivation. Results: There were considerable differences in activity limitation rate across the 251 local authorities. Age-standardized activity limitation rate in both male and female were strongly associated with the level of area deprivation. Especially, low social class, male unemployment, or non-apartment residents at the local level were strong positive association with local authorities' age-standardized activity limitation. Conclusion: More policy attention is needed for tackling regional inequality in activity limitation among older adults.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Aneshensel, C.S., Wight, R.G., Miller-Martinez, D., Karlamanqla, A.S., & Seeman, T.E. (2007). Urban neighborhoods and depressive symptoms among older adults. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci, 62, S52-69. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/62.1.S52
- Balfour, J. L., & Kaplan, G. A. (2002). Neighborhood environment and loss of physical function in older adults: Evidence fromthe Alameda County Study. Am J Epidemiol, 155, 507-515. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/155.6.507
- Berger N., Van der Heyden J., & Van Oyen H. (2015). The global activity limitation indicator and self-rated health: two comparison predictors of mortality. Archives of Public Health, 73, 25. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13690-015-0073-0
- Byeon, Y. C., Lee S. K., Park, S. J., Lee, M. K. (2011). Regional differences in Health Expectancy in Korea and Policy Suggestions, Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
- Cagney, K. A., Browning, C. R., & Wen, M. (2005). Racial disparities in self-rated health at older ages: what difference does the neighborhood make?. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci, 60(4), S181-90. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/60.4.S181
- Carstairs, V., & Morris, R. (1989). Deprivation: explaining differences in mortality between Scotland and England and Wales. BMJ, 299, 886S9. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.299.6704.886
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2010). National Center for Health Statistics. 2009 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) Questionnaire: Adult Health Status and Limitations.
- Choi, M. H., Cheong, K. S., Cho, B. M., Hwang, I. K., Kim, C. H, Kim, M. H., . . ., Yoon, T. H. (2011), Deprivation and mortality at the town level in Busan, Korea: An Ecological Study, J Prev Med Public Health, 44(6), 242-48. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2011.44.6.242
- Christensen, K., Koblhammer, G., Rau, R., & Vaupel, J. W. (2009). Ageing populations: the challenges ahead, Lancet, 374, 1196-1208. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61460-4
- Crimmins, E. M., & Saito, Y. (2001). Trends in healthy life expectancy in the United States, 1970-1990: gender, racial, and educational differences. Soc Sci Med, 52, 1629-1641. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(00)00273-2
- European Community Health Indicators Monitoring. (2015). Healthy Life Years. Retrieved from http://www.healthindicators.eu/healthindicators/object_document/o6114n29136.html.
- Han, S. H., Lee, S. K. (2012). Regional disability free life expectancy and related factors in Korea. Korea J of Population Studies, 35(2), 209-232.
- Heo, J. H., Cho, Y. (2008), Activity limitations and health behaviors by socioeconomic status among the elderly Seoul population, J of the Korean Gerontological Society, 28(1), 87-104.
- Jarman, B.(1983). Identification of underprivileged areas. BMJ, 286, 1705S8.
- Jeong, B. G., Jung K. Y., Kim, J. Y., Moon, O. R., Lee, Y. H,. & Hong Y. S. (2006) The relationship between regional material deprivation and the standardized mortality ratio of the community residents aged 15-64 in Korea. J Prev Med Public Health, 39(1), 46-52.
- Kim, M. H. (2002). A multilevel analysis on the association between socioeconomic factors and the metabolic syndrome[dissertion], Hanyang University.
- Lang, I. A., Llewellyn, D. J., Langa, K. M., Wallace, R. B., Huppert, F. A., & Melzer, D. (2008). Neighborhood deprivation, individual socioeconomic status, and cognitive function in older people: analyses from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. J Am Geriatr Soc, 56, 191-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2007.01557.x
- Lutz, W., Sanderson, W., & Scherbov, S. (2008). The coming acceleration of global population ageing. Nature, 451(7), 716-719. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature06516
- Macintyre, S, Ellaway, A, & Cummins, S. (2002), Place effects on health: how can we conceptualise, operationalise and measure them? Soc Sci Med, 55, 125-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(01)00214-3
- Maki, N., Martikainen, P., Eikemo, T., Menvielle, G., Lundberg, O., Ostergren, O., . . . Mackenbach, J. P. (2013). Educational differences in disability-free life expectancy: a comparative study of long-standing activity limitation in eight European countries. Soc Sci Med, 94, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2013.06.009
- Morris, R., & Carstairs, V. (1991). Which deprivation? A comparison of selected deprivation indexes. J Public Health Med, 13(4), 318S26.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (2014), OECD health data. Retrived from http://stats.oecd.org/index.aspx?DataSetCode=HEALTH_STAT.
- Office for National Statistics (2013). Local authority variation in activity limitations(disability) for males and females, England and Wales, Office for National Statistics.
- Shin H, Lee S., &, Chu J. M. (2009). Development of composite deprivation index for Korea: the correlation with standardized mortality ratio, J Prev Med Public Health, 42(6), 392-402. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2009.42.6.392
- Son, M. (2002). The realtionships of occupational class, educational level and deprivation with mortality in Korea, Korean J Prve Med, 35(1), 76-82.
- Townsend, P.(1987). Deprivation. J Soc Policy, 16(2), 125S46.
- Townsend, P., Phillimore, P. & Beattie, A. (1988). Health and Deprivation: Inequality and the North. Routledge, London.
- Walters, K., Breeze, E., Wilkinson, P., Price, G.M., Bulpitt, C.J., & Fletcher A. (2004), Local area deprivation and urban-rural differences in anxiety and depression among people older than 75 years in Britain. Am J Public Health, 94, 1768-74. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.94.10.1768
- World Health Organization. (2015). Health Topics: Disablities. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/topics/disabilities/en/.
- Yoon, T. H. (2003), The relationship between social class distribution and mortality, Korean J. of Health Policy & Administration, 13(4), 99-114 https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2003.13.4.099