- Volume 14 Issue 2
Remanufacturing used, end-of-life products is a complex problem involving multiple types of products that may share common parts. Recovery targets assigned by market demand and environmental legislation add more difficulty to the problem. Manufacturers now need to achieve specified take-back and recovery rates while fulfilling demands for remanufactured products. To assists in the demand- and legislation-driven remanufacturing of a family of products (i.e., multiple products that share common parts), this paper introduces a bi-objective mixed integer linear programming (MILP) model for optimizing remanufacturing. The model identifies optimal remanufacturing plans for a product family, whereby, the remanufacturer can achieve demand and recovery targets more profitably and in an environmentally-friendly manner. The model can also be used to quantify and justify the economic and environmental benefits of a product family from a remanufacturing perspective. A case study is presented for remanufacturing an alternatorfamily of products.
Product Family Design;End-of-Life Recovery;Remanufacturing;Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)
- Andersson, J. (2000), A Survey of Multiobjective Optimization in Engineering Design. Technical Report no. LiTH-IKP-R-1097, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Linkoping University.
- Boustani, A., Sahni, S., Graves, S. C., and Gutowski, T. G. (2010), Appliance Remanufacturing and Life Cycle Energy and Economic Savings. Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Sustainable Systems and Technology (ISSST).
- Bras, B. (2007), Design for Remanufacturing Processes. In Kutz, M. (ed), Environmentally Conscious Mechanical Design (Hoboken, NJ: Wiley), 283-318.
- Ferrer, G. and Whybark, D. C. (2001), Material Planning for a Remanufacturing Facility. Production and Operations Management, 10(2), 112-124.
- Fleischmann, M., Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J. M., Dekker, R., van der Laan, E., van Nunen, J., and Van Wassenhove, L. N. (1997), Quantitative Models for Reverse Logistics: A Review, European Journal of Operational Research, 103(1), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(97)00230-0
- Franke, C., Basdere, B., Ciupek, M., and Seliger, S. (2006), Remanufacturing of Mobile Phones-Capacity, Program and Facility Adaptation Planning, Omega, 34(6), 562-570. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2005.01.016
- Goedkoop, M. and Spriensma, S. (2000), The Eco-Indicator 99: A Damage Oriented Method for Life Cycle Impact Assessment, PRe Consultants B. V., Amersfoort, The Netherlands.
- Goldey, C. L., Kuester, E. U., Mummert, R., Okrasinski, T. A., Olson, D., and Schaeffer, W. J. (2010), Lifecycle Assessment of the Environmental Benefits of Remanufactured Telecommunications Product within a 'Green' Supply Chain, Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Sustainable Systems and Technology (ISSST).
- Guo, J., Ko, Y., and Hwang, H. (2010), A Manufacturing/Remanufacturing System with the Consideration of Required Quality of End-of-used Products, Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, 9(3), 204-214. https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2010.9.3.204
- Gutowski, T. G., Sahni, S., Boustani, A., and Graves, S. C. (2011), Remanufacturing and Energy Savings, Environmental Science and Technology, 45(10), 4540-4547. https://doi.org/10.1021/es102598b
- Hauser, W. and Lund, R. T. (2003), The Remanufacturing Industry: Anatomy of a Giant, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Inderfurth, K. and Langella, I. M. (2008), Planning Disassembly for Remanufacture-Ro-Order Systems. In S. M. Gupta and A. J. D. Lambert (eds), Environment Conscious Manufacturing (Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press), 387-411.
- Imtanavanich, P. and Gupta, S. M. (2005), Multi-Criteria Decision Making Approach in Multiple Periods for a Disassembly-to-Order System under Product's Deterioration and Stochastic Yields, Proceedings of the SPIE International Conference on Environmentally Conscious Manufacturing V, Boston, MA, 10-21.
- Iwao, M. and Kusukawa, E. (2014), Optimal Production Planning for Remanufacturing with Quality Classification Errors under Uncertainty in Quality of Used Products, Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, 13(2), 231-249. https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2014.13.2.231
- Jayaraman, V. (2006), Production Planning for Closed-Loop Supply Chains with Product Recovery and Reuse: An Analytical Approach, International Journal of Production Research, 44(5), 981-998. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207540500250507
- Jiao, J. and Simpson, T. (2007), Product Family Design and Platform-Based Product Development: A Stateof-the-Art Review, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 18(1), 5-29. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10845-007-0003-2
- Kang, C. M. and Hong, Y. S. (2011), Dynamic Disassembly Planning for Remanufacturing of Multiple Types of Products, International Journal of Production Research, 50(22), 6236-6248.
- Kim, K., Song, I., Kim, J., and Jeong, B. (2006), Supply Planning Model for Remanufacturing System in Reverse Logistics Environment, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 51(2), 279-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2006.02.008
- Kongar, E. and Gupta, S. M. (2006), Disassembly to Order System under Uncertainty, Omega, 34(6), 550-561. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2005.01.006
- Kwak, M. and Kim, H. M. (2011), Assessing Product Family Design from an End-of-Life Perspective, Engineering Optimization, 43(3), 233-255. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305215X.2010.482990
- Kwak, M. and Kim, H. M. (2012), Analytical Target Cascading for End-of-Life Recovery Management. Proceedings of the 12th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference and 14th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Kwak, M. and Kim, H. (2015), Design for Life-Cycle Profit with Simultaneous Consideration of Initial Manufacturing and End-of-Life Remanufacturing, Engineering Optimization, 47(1), 18-35. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305215X.2013.868450
- Liu, Z., Li, T., Jiang, Q., and Zhang, H. (2014), Life Cycle Assessment-Based Comparative Evaluation of Originally Manufactured and Remanufactured Diesel Engines, Journal of Industrial Ecology, 18 (4), 567-576. https://doi.org/10.1111/jiec.12137
- Mavrotas, G. (2009), Effective Implementation of the e-Constraint Method in Multi-Objective Mathematical Programming Problems, Applied Mathematics and Computation, 213(2), 455-465. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2009.03.037
- Meacham, A., Uzsoy, R., and Venkatadri, U. (1999), Optimal Disassembly Configurations for Single and Multiple Products, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 18(5), 311-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6125(00)87634-7
- Perera, H. S. C., Nagarur, N., and Tabucanon, M. T. (1999), Component Part Standardization: A Way to Reduce the Life-Cycle Costs of Products, International Journal of Production Economics, 60/61, 109-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-5273(98)00179-0
- Rebitzer, G., Ekvall, T., Frischknecht, R., Hunkeler, D., Norris, G., Rydberg, T., Schmidt, W.-P., Suh, S., Weidema, B. P., and Pennington, D. W. (2004), Life Cycle Assessment: Part 1: Framework, Goal and Scope Definition, Inventory Analysis, and Applications, Environment International, 30(5), 701-720. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2003.11.005
- Schau, E. M., Traverso, M., Lehmann, A., and Finkbeiner, M. (2011), Life Cycle Costing in Sustainability Assessment-A Case Study of Remanufactured Alternators, Sustainability, 3, 2268-2288. https://doi.org/10.3390/su3112268
- Simpson, T. (1998), A Concept Exploration Method for Product Family Design, Dissertation, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Simpson, T. (2004), Product Platform Design and Customization: Status and Promise, Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis, and Manufacturing, 18(1), 3-20.
- Smith, V. M. and Keoleian, G. A. (2004), The Value of Remanufactured Engines: Life-Cycle Environmental and Economic Perspectives, Journal of Industrial Ecology, 8(1/2), 193-221.
- Taleb, K. and Gupta, S. (1997), Disassembly of Multiple Product Structures, Computers and Industrial Engineering, 32(4), 949-961. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-8352(97)00023-5
- Warsen, J., Laumer, M., and Momberg, W. (2011), Comparative Life Cycle Assessment of Remanufacturing and New Manufacturing of a Manual Transmission. In J. Hesselbach and C. Herrmann (eds), Glocalized Solutions for Sustainability in Manufacturing (Springer Berlin Heidelberg), 67-72.
- Xanthopoulos, A. and Iakovou, E. (2009), On the Optimal Design of the Disassembly and Recovery Processes, Waste Management, 29(5), 1702-1711. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2008.11.009
- 1. Product Family Approach in E-Waste Management: A Conceptual Framework for Circular Economy vol.9, pp.5, 2017, doi:10.7232/iems.2015.14.2.159
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Soongsil University