- Volume 24 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Influence of Air Temperature and Soil Moisture Conditions on the Growth and Yield of Hot Pepper under a Plastic Tunnel Culture
고추의 비가림재배 시 온도와 토양수분 환경이 생육 및 수량에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Hee Ju (Vegetable Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Sciences) ;
- Lee, Sang Gyu (Vegetable Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Sciences) ;
- Choi, Chang Sun (Vegetable Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Sciences) ;
- Kim, Jun Hyeok (Vegetable Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Sciences) ;
- Kim, Sung Kyeom (Vegetable Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Sciences) ;
- Jang, Yun Ah (Vegetable Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Sciences) ;
- Lee, Sang Jung (Vegetable Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Sciences)
- 이희주 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 채소과) ;
- 이상규 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 채소과) ;
- 최장선 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 채소과) ;
- 김준혁 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 채소과) ;
- 김성겸 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 채소과) ;
- 장윤아 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 채소과) ;
- 이상중 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 채소과)
- Received : 2015.02.16
- Accepted : 2015.03.30
- Published : 2015.06.30
This study was conducted to determine the effects of high temperature and deficit irrigation on growth and yield of hot pepper. Hot pepper was subjected to four irrigation treatments: fully irrigation (FI), 10, 20, and 30 days deficit irrigation (DI) combination with high temperature treatment. Control plants were grown natural environment and conventional culture methods. The plant height treated with high temperature was significantly higher than that of control plant. At FI combination with high temperature treatment, growth parameters such as stem diameter, leaf area, fresh and dry weight were the greatest. The yield was the greatest (2,036 kg/10a) under control, DI combination with high temperature treatment decreased by approximately 42% compare with FI combination with high temperature treatment. The number of abnormal fruits was approximately 38/plant under control, which was the smallest and that of 30 days DI combination with high temperature was higher 3.3 times compare with control. Flower abscission and calcium deficiency induced by DI treatments, especially those physiological disorder promoted by increasing DI treatments period. Results indicated that yield of hot pepper reduced by DI treatments, these results suggest that the growers should irrigate to proper soil moisture for preventing reduction of total fruit yield.
Abnormal fruit;Drought;Heat Stress;Photosynthesis;Tunnel Culture;Yield
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Abayomi, Y. A., Aduloju, M. O., Ebewunmi, M. A., Seleiman, B. O., 2012, Effects of soil moisture contents and rates of NPK fertilizer application on growth and fruit yields of pepper (Capsicum spp.) genotypes, Intl. J. Agr. Sci., 2, 651-663.
- Ahmed, A. F., Yu, H., Yang, X., Jiang, W., 2014, Deficit irrigation affects growth, yield, vitamin C content, and irrigation water use efficiency of hot pepper grown in soilless culture, HortScience, 49, 722-728.
- Anjum, S.A., Farooq, M., Xie, X., Liu, X., Ijaz, M. F., 2012, Antioxidant defense system and proline accumulation enables hot pepper to perform better under drought, Sci. Hort., 140, 66-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2012.03.028
- Bravdo, B. A., 2005, Physiological mechanisms involved in the production of non-hidraulic root signals by partial rootzone drying: a review, Acta Hort., 689, 267-276.
- Cabuslay, G. S., Ito, O., Alejal, A. A., 2002, Physiological evaluation of responses of rice (Oryza sativa L.) to water deficit, Plant Sci., 63, 815-827.
- Campos, H., Trejo, C., Pena-Valdivia, C. B., Ramirez-Ayala, C., Sanchez-Garcia, P., 2009, Effect of partial rootzone drying on growth, gas exchange, and yield of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.), Sci. Hort., 120, 493-499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2008.12.014
- Correia, M. J., Coelho, D., David, M. M., 2001, Response to seasonal drought in three cultivars of Ceratonia siliqua; leaf growth and water relation, Tree Physiol., 21, 645-653. https://doi.org/10.1093/treephys/21.10.645
- Cross, R. H., McKay, S. A. B., McHughen, A. G., Bonham-Smith, P. C., 2003, Heat-stress effects on reproduction and seed set in Linum usitatissimum L. (flax), Plant Cell Environ., 26, 1013-1020. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3040.2003.01006.x
- De Pascale, S., Ruggiero, C., Barbieri, G., Maggio, A., 2003, Physiological responses of pepper to salinity and drought, J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci., 128, 48-54.
- Erickson, A. and Markhart, A., 2002, Flower developmental stage and organ sensitivity of bell pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) to elevated temperature, Plant Cell Envrion., 25, 123-130. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0016-8025.2001.00807.x
- Gajanayake B., Trader, B. W., Reddy, K. R., Harkess, R. L., 2011, Screening ornamental pepper cultivars for temperature tolerance using pollen and physiological parameters, HortScience, 46, 878-884.
- Khah, E. M. and Passam, H. C., 1992, Flowering fruit set and development of the fruit and seed of sweet pepper (Capsicum annum L.) cultivated under conditions of high ambient temperature, J. Hort. Sci. 67, 251-258.
- Kwan, O.S. and Lee, H.B., 2013, The economic impacts of crop productivity change that will be caused by global climate change, Agri. Economic, 36, 1-32.
- Lee, J. H., Nasanjargal, T., Choi, K. Y., Lee, Y. B., 2008, Effects of shading on photosynthetic response and growth characteristics in hydroponics for wasabi leaf production, J. Bio-Env. Con., 17, 9-13.
- Lee, S. G., Choi, C. S., Lee, J. G., Jang, Y. A., Nam, C. W., Lee, H. J., Suh, J. M., Kang, J. S., 2013, Influence of daytime temperature on the time required for fruit harvest and yield of hot pepper, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 22, 1181-1186. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2013.22.9.1181
- Lee, S. G., Chun, H., Park, S.H., Yu, I.H., Lee, J.H., 2015. Development of rain sheltering technology for safe production of hot pepper and chinese cabbage against abnormal climate, Research report, RDA., p.21-36.
- MAFRA, 2014, Primary statistics of agriculture field, p.299.
- Menzel, A, 2000, Trends in phenological phases in Europe between 1951 and 1996, Int. J. Biometeorol., 44, 76-81. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004840000054
- Pagamas, P. and Nawata, E., 2008, Sensitive stages of fruit and seed development of chili pepper (Capsicum annum L. var. Shishito) exposed to high-temperature stress, Sci. Hort., 117, 21-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2008.03.017
- Sayyari, M. and Ghanbari, F., 2012, Effects of super absorbent polymer A200 n the growth, yield and som physiological responses in sweet pepper (Capsicum annum L.) under various irrigation regimes, Intl. J. Agr. Food Res., 1, 1-11.
- Seo, J.M., Kang, J.S., Lee, S.G., 2014. Evaluation of unusual climate-derived damages in major field vegetables and the development of problem-solving technology, Research report, RDA., p.39-44.
- Spears, J. F., TeKrony, D.M., Egli, D.B., 1997, Temperature during seed filling stage and soybean seed germination and vigour, Seed Sci. Technol., 25, 233-244.
- Tadesse, T, 1997, Some factors affecting the yield and quality of sweet pepper (Capsicum annuum L. cv. Domino), PhD thesis, Massey University, New Zealand.
- Tao, F., Yokozawa, M., Xu, Y., Hayashi, Y., Zhang, Z., 2006, Climate changes and trends in phenology and yields of field crops in China, Agri. Forest Meteorol., 138, 82-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2006.03.014
- Influence of Drought and High Temperature on the Physiological Response and Yield in Hot Pepper vol.27, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2018.27.4.251
- Development of Prediction Growth and Yield Models by Growing Degree Days in Hot Pepper vol.27, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12791/KSBEC.2018.27.4.424