- Volume 26 Issue 2
Cross-language Transfer of Phonological Awareness and Its Relations with Reading and Writing in Korean and English
음운인식의 언어 간 전이와 한글 및 영어의 읽기 쓰기와의 관계
- Kim, Sangmi (Sinjin Elementary School) ;
- Cho, Jeung-Ryeul (Department of Psychology, Kyungnam University) ;
- Kim, Ji-Youn (Department of Psychology, Kyungnam University)
- Received : 2015.01.22
- Accepted : 2015.04.20
- Published : 2015.06.30
This study investigated the contribution of Korean phonological awareness to English phonological awareness and the relations of phonological awareness with reading and writing in Korean Hangul and English among Korean 5th graders. With age and vocabulary knowledge statistically controlled, Korean phonological awareness was transferred to English phonological awareness. Specifically, syllable and phoneme awareness in Korean transferred to syllable awareness in English, and Korean phoneme awareness transferred to English phoneme awareness. In addition, English phoneme awareness independently explained significant variance of reading and writing in Korean and English after controlling for age and vocabulary. Syllable awareness in Korean and English explained Hangul reading and writing, respectively. The results suggest cross-language transfer of phonological awareness that is a metalinguistic skill. Phoneme awareness is important in reading and writing in English whereas both of syllable and phoneme awareness are important in literacy of Korean.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Greene, J. P. (1997). A meta-analysis of the Rossell and Baker review of bilingual education research. Bilingual Research Journal, 21, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/15235882.1997.10815599
- Yeung, A. E., Marsh, H. W., & Suliman, R. (2000). Can two tonges live in harmony? Analysis of the National Education Longitudinal Study of 1988(NELS88) longitudinal data on maintenance of home language. American Educational Research Journal, 37, 1001-1026. https://doi.org/10.3102/000283120370041001
- Wang, M., Park, Y., & Lee, K. (2006). Korean-English biliteracy acquisition: Cross language and orthographic transfer. Journal of Educational Psychology, 98, 148-158. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.52
- Russell, R. (2000). "Attrition in English native speakers' L2 production of Japanese: 10 years later," paper presented in Dorit Kaufman, chair, Language attrition: Crosslinguistic interplay and sociolinguistic perspectives, at SLRF(Second Language Research Forum) 2000, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI.
- Reber, A. S. (1969). Transfer of syntactic structure in synthetic languages. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 81, 115-119. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0027454
- Brooks, L. R., & Vokey, J. R. (1991). Abstract analogies and abstracted grammars: Comments on Reber(1989) and Mathews et al. (1989). Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 120, 316-323. https://doi.org/10.1037/0096-34184.108.40.2066
- 민지영, 이승복 (1998). 암묵적 규칙 학습과 언어 간 전이. 한국심리학회지, 실험 및 인지, 10(2), 153-173.
- 권오량 (1995). 아동의 외국어 학습. 한국인간발달학회 학술발표대회 논문집, 1, 1-21.
- McBride-Chang, C. (2004). Children's Literacy Developmen. London: Oxford University Press.
- Wagner, R. K., Torgesen, J. K., & Rashotte, C. A. (1994). Development of reading-related phonological processing abilities: New evidence of bidirectional causality from a latent variable longitudinal study. Developmental Psychology, 30(1), 73-87. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16220.127.116.11
- Yi, K. O. (1998). The internal structure of the syllable in Korean: Onset-rime or body-coda? Korean Journal of Experimental and Cognitive Psychology, 10, 67-83.
- Goswami, U. & Bryant, P. (1990). Phonological skills and learning to read. Hove, UK: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Bialystok, E., Majumder, S., & Martin, M. (2003). "Developing phonological awareness: Is there a bilingual advantage?" Applied Psycholinguistics, 24, 27-44.
- Campbell, R. & Sais, E. (1995). Accelerated metalinguistic (phonological) awareness in bilingual children. British Journal of Developmental Psychology, 13, 61-68. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-835X.1995.tb00664.x
- Loizou, M. & Stuart, M. (2003). Phonological awareness in monolingual and bilingual English and Greek five-year-olds. Journal of Research in Reading, 26, 3-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9817.261002
- Bruck, M., & Genesee, F. (1995). Phonological awareness in young second language learners. Journal of Child Language, 22, 307-324.
- Ball, E. & Blachman, B. A. (1988). Phonological segmentation training: Effects of reading readiness. Annuals of Dyslexia, 38, 208-225. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02648257
- Bradly, L., & Bryant, P. E. (1983). Categorizing sounds and learning to read- A causal connection. Nature, 301, 419-421. https://doi.org/10.1038/301419a0
- Bradly, L., & Bryant, P. E. (1978). Difficulties in auditory organization as a possible cause of reading backwardness. Nature, 271, 746-747. https://doi.org/10.1038/271746a0
- Catts, H. W., & Kamhi, A. G. (2005). Language and reading disabilities(2nd ed). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Eldredge, J. L., & Baird, J. E. (1996). Phonological awareness training works better than whole language instruction for teaching first graders how to write. Reading Research and Instruction, 35, 193-208. https://doi.org/10.1080/19388079609558209
- Kamii, M. L., & Manning, M. (2002). Phonological awareness and writing beginning. Journal of Research in Childhood Education, 17(1), 38-46. https://doi.org/10.1080/02568540209594997
- Dyson, A. H. (1982). Reading, writing, and language: Young children solving, the written language puzzle. Language Arts, 59, 829-839.
- Kjeldsin, A. C., Niemi, P., & Olofsson, A. (2003). Training phonological awareness in kindergarten level children: Consistency is more important than quantity. Learning and Instruction, 13, 349-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-4752(02)00009-9
- Martins, M. A., & Silva, C. (2006). Phonological abilities and writing among Portuguese preschool children. European Journal of Psychology of Education, 21(2), 163-182. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03173575
- Cummins, J. (1979). Linguistic interdependence and the educational development of bilingual children. pReview of Educational Research, 49(2), 222-251. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543049002222
- Durgunoglu A. Y. & Oney, B. (1999). A cross-linguistic comparison of phonological awareness and word recognition. Reading and Writing, 11, 281-295. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008093232622
- Gottardo, A., Yan, B., Siegel, L., Wade-Wooley, L. (2001). Factors related to English reading performance in children with Chinese as a first language. More evidence of cross-language transfer of phonological processing. Journal of Educational Psychology, 93, 530-542. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0618.104.22.1680
- Pae, K. K., Sevcik, R. A., & Morris, R. D. (2010). Cross-language correlates in phonological awareness and naming speed: Evidence from deep and shallow orthographies. Journal of Research in Reading, 33(4), 374-391. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9817.2009.01417.x
- Anthony, J. L., Solari, E. J., Williams, J. M., Schoger, K. D., Zhang, Z., Branum-Martin L., Francis, D. J. (2009). Development of bilingual phonological awareness in Spanish-speaking English language learners: The roles of vocabulary, letter knowledge, and prior phonological awareness. Scientific Studies of Reading, 13(6), 535-564. https://doi.org/10.1080/10888430903034770
- Cisero, C. A., & Royer, J. M. (1995). The development and cross-language transfer of phonological awareness. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 20, 275-303. https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1995.1018
- 박민영, 고도흥, 이윤경 (2006). 한국어-영어 이중 언어사용아동의 음운인식능력. 음성과학, 13(2), 35-46.
- 조증열, 이강은 (2004). 초등학생의 한국어 음운처리 기술이 영어 읽기와 어휘력에 미치는 영향. 한국심리학회지: 발달, 17(4), 145-157.
- Cho, J-R., & McBride-Chang, C. (2005a). Correlates of Korean Hangul acquisition among kindergarteners and second graders. Scientific Studies of Reading, 9(1), 3-16. https://doi.org/10.1207/s1532799xssr0901_2
- Cho, J-R., & McBride-Chang, C. (2005b). Levels of Phonological Awareness in Korean and English: A 1-Year Longitudinal Study. Journal of Educational Psychology, 97(4), 564-571. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0622.214.171.1244
- 조희숙, 김선옥, 정정희 (2006). 유아의 음운인식과 읽기가 쓰기 능력에 미치는 영향: 단기종단적 접근. 한국심리학회지: 발달, 19(4), 137-155.
- Cho, J-R., Chiu, M. M. (in press). Rapid naming in relation to reading and writing in Korean (Hangul), Chinese (Hanja) and English among Korean children: a 1-year longitudinal study. Journal of Research in Reading.
- Comeau, L., Cormier, P., Grandmaison, E., & Lacroix, D. (1999). A longitudinal study of phonological processing skills in children learning to read in a second language. Journal of Educational Psychology, 9, 29-43.
- Linsey, K. A., Manis, F. R., & Bailey, C. E. (2003). Prediction of first-grade reading in Spanish-speaking English-language leaners. Journal of Educational Psychology, 95, 482-494. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.1992
- Speciale, G., Ellis, N. C., & Bywater, T. (2004). Phonological sequence learning and short-term store capacity determine second language vocabulary acquisition. Applied Psycholinguistics, 25, 293-321.
- Morais, J., Bertelson, P., Cary, L., & Alegria, J. (1986). Literacy training and speech segmentation. Cognition, 24, 45-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-0277(86)90004-1
- Vellutino, F. R., & Scanlon, D. M. (1988). Phonological coding, phonological awareness, and reading ability: Evidence from a longitudinal and experimental study. In K. E. Stanovich (Ed.), Children's reading and the development of phonological awareness (pp. 77-119). Detroit, MI: Wayne State University Press.
- 박창원, 오미영, 오은진 (2004). 한.영.일 음운대비. 서울: 한국문화사.
- 김애화, 유현실, 김의정 (2011). 조기 문식성 검사의 개발 및 표준화 연구. 언어청각장애연구, 16(4), 597-613.
- 김현자, 조증열 (2001). 학령전 아동에서 음운인식, 시각지각 및 한글 읽기와의 관계. 한국심리학회지, 발달, 14, 15-28.
- Mann, V., & Singson, M. (2003). Linking morphological knowledge to English decoding ability: large effects of little suffixes. In E. Assink & D. Sandra (Eds.), Reading complex words: cross-language studies (pp. 1-25). New York, NY: Kluwer Academic Publisher.
- Deacon, S. H., & Kirby, J. R. (2004). Morphological awareness: just "more phonological"? The roles of morphological and phonological awareness in reading development. Applied Psycholinguistics, 25, 223-238.
- Wang, M., Ko, I. Y., & Choi, J. (2009). The importance of morphological awareness in Korean-English biliteracy acquisition. Contemporary Education Psychology, 34, 132-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2008.12.002
- Apel, K., Diehm, E., & Apel, L. (2013). Using multiple measures of morphological awareness to assess its relation to reading. Topics in Language Disorders, 33, 42-56. https://doi.org/10.1097/TLD.0b013e318280f57b
- 최윤영 (2014). 영어와 한국어의 총제적 대조분석 연구. 신학과 목회, 41, 237-261.
- Taylor, I., & Taylor, M. (2014). Writing and literacy in Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Benjamins.