- Volume 31 Issue 1
A Case of Benign Parotid Tumor Misdiagnosed for Parotid Cancer on Preoperative Cytology
수술 전 세침흡인세포검사에서 악성으로 의심되었던 이하선 양성 종양 1예
- Lee, Eun Jung (Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Gangnam Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Hwang, Hye Jin (Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Gangnam Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine) ;
- Byeon, Hyung Kwon (Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Gangnam Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine)
- 이은정 (연세대학교 의과대학 강남세브란스병원 이비인후과학교실) ;
- 황혜진 (연세대학교 의과대학 강남세브란스병원 이비인후과학교실) ;
- 변형권 (연세대학교 의과대학 강남세브란스병원 이비인후과학교실)
- Received : 2015.03.19
- Accepted : 2015.04.22
- Published : 2015.05.30
Fine needle aspiration cytology as a diagnostic workup of parotid gland tumor is a simple and useful method. Although fine needle aspiration cytology could not predict accurate diagnosis in all cases, it is usually helpful in differentiating malignancy and benign lesions. A 35-year-old female was found to have a parotid mass for 1 year. Preoperative evaluation including computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging were non-diagnostic, but, fine needle aspiration cytology on parotid mass showed the suspicion of a low-grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma. Superficial parotidectomy and selective neck node dissection were done based on cytology. However, final pathological examination confirmed benign pleomorphic adenoma. Here, the diagnostic accuracy and cautions in interpretation of result of fine needle aspiration cytology is discussed with respect to the case.
- Chen AM, Lau VH, Farwell DG, Luu Q, Donald PJ. Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the parotid gland treated by surgery and postoperative radiation therapy: Clinicopathologic correlates of outcome. Laryngoscope. 2013;123(12):3049-3055. https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.24238
- Mukunyadzi P. Review of fine-needle aspiration cytology of salivary gland neoplasms, with emphasis on differential diagnosis. Am J Clin Pathol. 2002;118 Suppl:S100-S115.
- Kim JY, Par KH, Choi SH, Kim SY, Nam SY. Clinical values of fine needle aspiration biopsy in salivary gland diseases. Korean J Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006;49:639-643.
- Fakhry N, Antonini F, Michel J, Penicaud M, Mancini J, Lagier A, et al. Fine-needle aspiration cytology in the management of parotid masses: Evaluation of 249 patients. Eur Ann Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Dis. 2012;129(3):131-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anorl.2011.10.008
- Batsakis JG, Sneige N, el-Naggar AK. Fine-needle aspiration of salivary glands: Its utility and tissue effects. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1992;101(2 Pt 1):185-188. https://doi.org/10.1177/000348949210100215
- Cramer H, Layfield L, Lampe H. Fine-needle aspiration of salivary glands: Its utility and tissue effects. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1993;102(6):483-485. https://doi.org/10.1177/000348949310200615
- Singh Nanda KD, Mehta A, Nanda J. Fine-needle aspiration cytology: A reliable tool in the diagnosis of salivary gland lesions. J Oral Pathol Med. 2012;41(1):106-112. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2011.01069.x
- Piccioni LO, Fabiano B, Gemma M, Sarandria D, Bussi M. Fineneedle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of parotid lesions. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2011;31(1):1-4.
- Young NA, Mody DR, Davey DD. Misinterpretation of normal cellular elements in fine-needle aspiration biopsy specimens: Observations from the College of American Pathologists Interlaboratory Comparison Program in Non-Gynecologic Cytopathology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2002;126(6):670-675.
- Kim HK, Park JY, Choi SY, Kim JK. Ultrasonographic Features of the Parotid Gland Neoplasms. Korean J Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009;52:751-755. https://doi.org/10.3342/kjorl-hns.2009.52.9.751
- Bartels S, Talbot JM, DiTomasso J, Everts EC, Andersen PE, Wax MK, et al. The relative value of fine-needle aspiration and imaging in the preoperative evaluation of parotid masses. Head Neck. 2000;22(8):781-786. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0347(200012)22:8<781::AID-HED6>3.0.CO;2-B
- Fundakowski C, Castano J, Abouyared M, Lo K, Rivera A, Ojo R, et al. The role of indeterminate fine-needle biopsy in the diagnosis of parotid malignancy. Laryngoscope. 2014;124(3):678-681. https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.24341
- Olsen KD, Moore EJ, Lewis JE. Frozen section pathology for decision making in parotid surgery. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013;139(12):1275-1278. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaoto.2013.5217
- Kawata R, Koutetsu L, Yoshimura K, Nishikawa S, Takenaka H. Indication for elective neck dissection for N0 carcinoma of the parotid gland: A single institution's 20-year experience. Acta Otolaryngol. 2010;130(2):286-292. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016480903062160