- Volume 52 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Design of FPGA Self-test Circuit Reusing FPGA Boundary Scan Chain
FPGA 경계 스캔 체인을 재활용한 FPGA 자가 테스트 회로 설계
- Yoon, Hyunsik (Department of Computer Engineering, Hanbat National University) ;
- Kang, Taegeun (Department of Computer Engineering, Hanbat National University) ;
- Yi, Hyunbean (Department of Computer Engineering, Hanbat National University)
- Received : 2015.03.25
- Accepted : 2015.05.31
- Published : 2015.06.25
This paper introduces an FPGA self-test architecture reusing FPGA boundary scan chain as self-test circuits. An FPGA boundary scan cell is two or three times bigger than a normal boundary scan cell because it is used for configuring the function of input/output pins functions as well as testing and debugging. Accordingly, we analyze the architecture of an FPGA boundary scan cell in detail and design a set of built-in self-test (BIST) circuits in which FPGA boundary scan chain and a small amount of FPGA logic elements. By reusing FPGA boundary scan chain for self-test, we can reduce area overhead and perform a processor based on-board FPGA testing/monitoring. Experimental results show the area overhead comparison and simulation results.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Sony Corporation, Sony Semiconductor Quality and Reliability Handbook, 1st edition, Oct 2000.
- Renesas Electronics, Semiconductor Reliability Handbook, Rev.1.01, Nov 2008.
- Y. Park, I. Choi, and S. Kang, "IEEE std. 1500 based an Efficient Programmable Memory BIST," Journal of The Institute of Electronics Engineers of Korea, Vol. 50, NO. 2, pp. 114-121, Feb 2013.
- Y. Kim, I. Kim, and H. Min, "BIST structure based on new Random Access Scan architecture for Low Power Scan Test," ITC-CSCC, pp. 812-815, July 2009.
- "IEEE 1149.1 JTAG Boundary-Scan Testing in Altera Devices", Application Note, no. 39, June 2005.
- M. Abramovici, C. Stroud, C. Hamilton, S. Wijesuriya, and V. Verma, "Using Roving STARs for On-Line Testing and Diagnosis of FPGAs in Fault-Tolerant Applications," Int. Test Conf.(ITC), pp. 973-982, 1999.
- C. Hsu, and T. Chen, "Built-in Self-Test Design for Fault Detection and Fault Diagnosis in SRAM-Based FPGA," IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 58, Issue. 7, pp. 2300-2315, Feb 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2009.2013921
- P. Gadde, and M. Niamat, "FPGA Memory Testing Technique using BIST," IEEE Int. Midwest Symp. on Circuits and Systems (MWSCAS), pp. 473-476, Aug 2013.
- N. Das, P. Roy, and H. Rahaman, "Built-in-self-test technique for diagnosis of delay faults in cluster-based field programmable gate array," IET, on Computers & Digital Techniques, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 210-220, Sep 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-cdt.2012.0111
- S. Vemula, and C. Stroud, "Built-in self-test for programmable I/O buffers in FPGAs and SoCs," IEEE Southeastern Symp. on System Theory, pp. 534-538, Mar 2006.
- S. Rehman, M. Benabdenbi, and L. Anghel, "BIST for Logic and Local Interconnect Resources in a Novel Mesh of Cluster FPGA," IEEE Int. Symp. on Defect and Fault Tolerance in VLSI and Nanotechnology Systems (DFT), pp. 296-301, Oct 2013.
- K. Ito, T. Yoneda, Y. Yamato, K. Hatayama, and M. Inoue, "Efficient Scan-Based BIST Architecture for Application-Dependent FPGA Test," IEICE Tech. Vol. 113, no. 353, pp. 1-6, 2013.