- Volume 28 Issue 7
In this study, we investigated the effects of mixing on the aggressive behavior of commercially housed pigs. The behavioral patterns of 36 groups of pigs (a total of 360 animals) were observed over 3 consecutive days directly after weaning (
Aggressive Behavior;Dominance Index;Interaction;Mixing;Pig
- Stookey, J. M. and H. W. Gonyou. 1994. The effects of regrouping on behavioral and production parameters in finishing swine. J. Anim. Sci. 72:2804-2811. https://doi.org/10.2527/1994.72112804x
- Stukenborg, A., I. Traulsen, B. Puppe, U. Presuhn, and J. Krieter. 2011. Agonistic behaviour after mixing in pigs under commercial farm conditions. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 129:28-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2010.10.004
- Turner, S. P., M. J. Farnworth, I. M. S. White, S. Brotherstone, M. Mendl, P. Knap, P. Penny, and A. B. Lawrence. 2006. The accumulation of skin lesions and their use as a predictor of individual aggressiveness in pigs. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 96:245-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2005.06.009
- van de Weerd, H. A., C. M. Docking, J. E. L. Day, and S. A. Edwards. 2005. The development of harmful social behaviour in pigs with intact tails and different enrichment backgrounds in two housing systems. Anim. Sci. 80:289-298.
- van Erp-van der Kooji, E., A. H. Kuijpers, J. W. Schrama, F. J. C. M. van Eerdenburg, W. G. P. Schouten, and M. J. M. Tielen. 2002. Can we predict behaviour in pigs?: Searching for consistency in behaviour over time and across situations. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 75:293-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(01)00203-9
- Wechsler, B. and N. Brodmann. 1996. The synchronization of nursing bouts in group-housed sows. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 47:191-199. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(95)01000-9
- Zar, J. H. 1999. Biostatistical Analysis, 4th ed. Prentice-Hall Inc., Upper Saddler River, NJ, USA.
- Zayan, R. and R. Dantzer. 1990. Social Stress in Farm Animal. Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague, The Netherlands.
- Algers, B., P. Jensen, and L. Steinwall. 1990. Behaviour and weight changes at weaning and regrouping of pigs in relation to teat quality. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 26:143-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(90)90094-T
- Arey, D. S. 1999. Time course for the formation and disruption of social organization in group-housed sows. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 62:199-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(98)00224-X
- Arey, D. S. and S. A. Edwards. 1998. Factors influencing aggression between sows after mixing and the consequences for welfare and production. Livest. Prod. Sci. 56:61-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(98)00144-4
- Ayo, J. O., S. B. Oladele, and A. Fayomi. 1998. Stress and its adverse effects on modern swine production. Pig News Inf. 19:51-56.
- Borberg, C. and S. Hoy. 2009. Mixing of sows with or without the presence of a boar. Livest. Sci. 125:314-317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2009.04.008
- Colson, V., P. Orgeur, V. Courboulay, S. Dantec, A. Foury, and P. Mormede. 2006. Grouping piglets by sex at weaning reduces aggressive behaviour. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 97:152-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2005.07.006
- D'Earth, R. B. 2005. Socialising piglets before weaning improves social hierarchy formation when pigs are mixed post-weaning. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 93:199-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2004.11.019
- Erhard, H. W., M. Mendl, and D. D. Ashley. 1997. Individual aggressiveness of pigs can be measured and used to reduce aggression after mixing. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 54:137-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(97)00068-3
- Estevez, I., I. L. Andersen, and E. Nae vdal. 2007. Group size, density and social dynamics in farm animals. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 103:185-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2006.05.025
- Ewbank, R. 1972. Social environment of the pig. In: Pig Production (Ed. J. A. Cole). University of Nottingham Press, Nottingham, UK. pp. 129-139.
- Ewbank, R. and M. J. Bryant. 1972. Aggressive behaviour amongst groups of domesticated pigs kept at various stocking rates. Anim. Behav. 20:21-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-3472(72)80169-6
- Ewbank, R., G. B. Meese, and J. E. Cox. 1974. Individual recognition and the dominance hierarchy in the domesticated pig. the role of sight. Anim. Behav. 22:473-474. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-3472(74)80046-1
- Hillmann, E., F. von Hollen, B. Bunger, D. Todt, and L. Schrader. 2003. Farrowing conditions affect the reactions of piglets towards novel environment and social confrontation at weaning. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 81:99-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(02)00254-X
- Hoy, S. and J. Bauer. 2005. Dominance relationships between sows dependent on the time interval between separation and reunion. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 90:21-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2004.08.003
- Krause, J. and G. D. Ruxton. 2002. Living in Groups. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- Krauss, V. and S. Hoy. 2011. Dry sows in dynamic groups: An investigation of social behaviour when introducing new sows. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 130:20-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2010.12.001
- Langbein, J. and B. Puppe. 2004. Analyzing dominance relationships by sociometric methods: a plea for a more standardized and precise approach in farm animals. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 87:293-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2004.01.007
- Li, Y. and L. Wang. 2011. Effects of previous housing system on agonistic behaviors of growing pigs at mixing. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 132:20-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2011.03.009
- McGlone, J. J. 1986. Influence of resources on pig aggression and dominance. Behav. Processes 12:135-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/0376-6357(86)90052-5
- Meese, G. B. and R. Ewbank. 1972. A note on instability of the dominance hierarchy and variations in level of aggression within groups of fattening pigs. Anim. Prod. 14:359-362. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100011090
- Meese, G. B. and R. Ewbank. 1973. The establishment and nature of the dominance hierarchy in the domesticated pig. Anim. Behav. 21:326-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-3472(73)80074-0
- Mendl, M., A. J. Zanella, and D. M. Broom. 1992. Physiological and reproductive correlates of behavioural strategies in female domestic pigs. Anim. Behav. 44:1107-1121. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-3472(05)80323-9
- National Research Council. 1996. Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. National Academy Press, Washington DC, USA.
- O'Connell, N. E. and V. E. Beattie. 1999. Influence of environmental enrichment on aggressive behavior and dominance relationships in growing pigs. Anim. Welf. 8:269-279.
- O'Connell, N. E., V. E. Beattie, and D. Watt. 2005. Influence of regrouping strategy on performance, behaviour and carcass parameters in pigs. Livest. Prod. Sci. 97:107-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2005.03.005
- Parratt, C. A., K. J. Chapman, C. Turner, P. H. Jones, M. T. Mendl, and B. G. Miller. 2006. The fighting behaviour of piglets mixed before and after weaning in the presence or absence of a sow. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 101:54-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2006.01.009
- Pitts, A. D., D. M. Weary, E. A. Pajor, and D. Fraser. 2000. Mixing at young ages reduces fighting in unacquainted domestic pigs. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 68:191-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(00)00104-0
- Rhim, S. J. 2012. Effects of group size on agonistic behaviors of commercially housed growing pigs. Rev. Colom. Cienc. Pecua. 25:353-359.
- Rhim, S. J. 2014. Effects of floor space on the behavior of laying hens in commercial cages. Rev. Colom. Cienc. Pecua. 27:95-101.
- Samarakone, T. S. and H. Y. Gonyou. 2009. Domestic pigs alter their social strategy in response to social group size. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 12:8-15.
- Schouten, W. G. P. 1991. Effects of rearing on subsequent performance in pigs. Pig News Inf. 12:245-247.
- Statham, P., L. Green, M. Bichard, and M. Mendl. 2011. A longitudinal study of the effects of providing straw at different stages of life on tail-biting and other behaviour in commercially housed pigs. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 134:100-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2011.08.009
- Behavioral Characteristics of Weaned Piglets Mixed in Different Groups vol.29, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0734
- Effects of 20-day litter weight on weaned piglets’ fighting behavior after group mixing and on heart rate variability in an isolation test vol.30, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0215
- Behaviors and body weight of suckling piglets in different social environments vol.30, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0653
- Mutilating Procedures, Management Practices, and Housing Conditions That May Affect the Welfare of Farm Animals: Implications for Welfare Research vol.7, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ani7020012
- Environment, facilities, and management of hospital pens in growing and finishing pig farms: a descriptive study vol.46, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1590/s1806-92902017001100001
Supported by : Rural Development Administration