- Volume 28 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Relationships between Descriptive Sensory Attributes and Physicochemical Analysis of Broiler and Taiwan Native Chicken Breast Meat
- Chumngoen, Wanwisa (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University) ;
- Tan, Fa-Jui (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University)
- Received : 2014.04.15
- Accepted : 2015.02.04
- Published : 2015.07.01
Unique organoleptic characteristics such as rich flavors and chewy texture contribute to the higher popularity of native chicken in many Asian areas, while the commercial broilers are well-accepted due to their fast-growing and higher yields of meat. Sensory attributes of foods are often used to evaluate food eating quality and serve as references during the selection of foods. In this study, a three-phase descriptive sensory study was conducted to evaluate the sensory attributes of commercial broiler (BR) and Taiwan native chicken (TNC) breast meat, and investigate correlations between these sensory attributes and instrumental measurements. The results showed that for the first bite (phase 1), TNC meat had significantly higher moisture release, hardness, springiness, and cohesiveness than BR meat. After chewing for 10 to 12 bites (phase 2), TNC meat presented significantly higher chewdown hardness and meat particle size, whereas BR meat had significantly higher cohesiveness of mass. After swallowing (phase 3), TNC meat had higher chewiness and oily mouthcoat and lower residual loose particles than BR meat. TNC meat also provided more intense chicken flavors. This study clearly demonstrates that descriptive sensory analysis provides more detailed and more objectively information about the sensory attributes of meats from various chicken breeds. Additionally, sensory textural attributes vary between BR and TNC meat, and are highly correlated to the shear force value and collagen content which influence meat eating qualities greatly. The poultry industry and scientists should be able to recognize the sensory characteristics of different chicken meats more clearly. Accordingly, based on the meat's unique sensory and physicochemical characteristics, future work might address how meat from various breeds could best satisfy consumer needs using various cooking methods.
Broiler;Collagen;Descriptive Sensory Analysis;Meat Eating Quality;Taiwan Native Chicken;Physicochemical Characteristics
- Cavitt, L. C., G. W. Youm, J. F. Meullenet, C. M. Owens, and R. Xiong. 2004. Prediction of poultry meat tenderness using razor blade shear, Allo-Kramer shear, and sarcomere length. J. Food Sci. 69:SNQ11-SNQ15.
- Chartrin, P., K. Meteau, H. Juin, M. D. Bernadet, G. Guy, C. Larzul, H. Remignon, J. Mourot, M. J. Duclos, and E. Baeza. 2006. Effects of intramuscular fat levels on sensory characteristics of duck breast meat. Poult. Sci. 85:914-922. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/85.5.914
- Cheng, F. Y., C. W. Huang, T. C. Wan, Y. T. Liu, L. C. Lin, and C. Y. Lou Chyr. 2008. Effects of free-range farming on carcass and meat qualities of black-feathered Taiwan native chicken. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 21:1201-1206. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.80080
- Chuaynukool, K., S. Wattanachant, and S. Siripongvutikorn. 2007. Chemical and physical properties of raw and cooked spent hen, broiler and Thai indigenous chicken muscles in mixed herbs acidified soup (Tom Yum). J. Food Technol. 5:180-186.
- COA. 2011. Council of Agriculture, Taiwan. Agriculture Statistics Yearbook. http://agrstat.coa.gov.tw/sdweb/public/book/Book.aspx. Accessed February 28, 2013
- Dyubele, N. L., V. Muchenje, T. T. Nkukwana, and M. Chimonyo. 2010. Consumer sensory characteristics of broiler and indigenous chicken meat: A South African example. Food Qual. Prefer. 21:815-819. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2010.04.005
- Fanatico, A. C., P. B. Pillai, J. L. Emmert, E. E. Gbur, J. F. Meullenet, and C. M. Owens. 2007. Sensory attributes of slowand fast-growing chicken genotypes raised indoors or with outdoor access. Poult. Sci. 86:2441-2449. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00092
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
Bou, R., F. Guardiola, A. Tres, A. C. Barroeta, and R. Codony. 2004. Effect of dietary fish oil,
$\alpha$-tocopheryl acetate, and zinc supplementation on the composition and consumer acceptability of chicken meat. Poult. Sci. 83:282-292. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.2.282
- Huang, C. C., C. C. Hsieh, and S. H. Chiang. 2007. Estimating the energy partitioning of Taiwanese native chickens by mathematical model. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 134:189-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.11.012
- Jalabert-Malbos, M. L., A. Mishellany-Dutour, A. Woda, and M. A. Peyron. 2007. Particle size distribution in the food bolus after mastication of natural foods. Food Qual. Prefer. 18:803-812. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2007.01.010
- Jaturasitha, S., A. Kayan, and M. Wicke. 2008. Carcass and meat characteristics of male chickens between Thai indigenous compared with improved layer breeds and their crossbred. Arch. Tierzucht. 51:283-294.
- Jaturasitha, S., V. Leangwunta, A. Leotaragul, A. Phongphaew, A. Apichartsrungkoon, N. Simasathitkul, T. Vearasilp, L. Worachai, and U. T. Meulen. 2002. A comparative study of Thai native chicken and broiler on productive performance, carcass and meat quality. In Proceedings of Deutscher Tropentag 2002. International Research of Food Security, Natural Resource Management and Rural Development: Challenges to Organic Farming and Sustainable Land Use in the Tropics and Subtropics. 9 to 11 October 2002, University of Kassel, Witzenhausen. Germany. p. 146.
- Jayasena, D. D., S. Jung, H. J. Kim, Y. S. Bae, H. I. Yong, J. H. Lee, J. G. Kim, and C. Jo. 2013. Comparison of quality traits of meat from Korean native chickens and broilers used in two different traditional Korean cuisines. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 26:1038-1046. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12684
- Lee, H. F. and L. C. Lin. 1993. Studies on the general composition and characteristics of meat quality of the Taiwan country chicken and broiler. J. Food Sci. (Taiwan). 20:103-111.
- Liu, A., T Nishimura, and K. Takahashi. 1996. Relationship between structural properties of intramuscular connective tissue and toughness of various chicken skeletal muscles. Meat Sci. 43:43-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(95)00065-8
- Liu, X. D., D. D. Jayasena, Y. Jung, S. Jung, B. S. Kang, K. N Heo, J. H. Lee, and C. Jo. 2012. Differential proteome analysis of breast and thigh muscles between Korean native chickens and commercial broilers. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 25:895-902. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11374
- Liu, Y., B. G. Lyon, W. R. Windham, C. E. Lyon, and E. M. Savage. 2004. Principal component analysis of physical, color, and sensory characteristics of chicken breasts deboned at two, four, six, and twenty-four hours postmortem. Poult. Sci. 83:101-108. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.1.101
- Lyon, B. G. and C. E. Lyon. 1997. Sensory descriptive profile relationships to shear values of deboned poultry. J. Food Sci. 62:885-897. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1997.tb15479.x
- Lyon, B. G. and C. E. Lyon. 2001. Meat quality: sensory and instrumental evaluations. In: Poultry Meat Processing (Ed. A. R. Sams), CRC Press, New York, USA. pp. 97-120.
- Murray, J. M., C. M. Delahunty, and I. A. Baxter. 2001. Descriptive sensory analysis: past, present and future. Food Res. Int. 34:461-471. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(01)00070-9
- Rikimaru, K. and H. Takahashi. 2010. Evaluation of the meat from Hinai-jidori chickens and broilers: Analysis of general biochemical components, free amino acids, inosine 5'- monophosphate, and fatty acids. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 19:327-333. https://doi.org/10.3382/japr.2010-00157
- Schilling, M. W., J. K. Schilling, J. R. Claus, N. G. Marriott, S. E. Duncan, and H. Wang. 2003. Instrumental texture assessment and consumer acceptability of cooked broiler breasts evaluated using a geometrically uniform-shaped sample. J. Muscle Foods 14:11-23. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.2003.tb00342.x
- Sow, T. M. A. and J. F. Grongnet. 2010. Sensory characteristics and consumer preference for chicken meat in Guinea. Poult. Sci. 89:2281-2292. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2010-00679
- Szczesniak, A. S. 2002. Texture is a sensory property. Food Qual. Prefer. 13:215-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-3293(01)00039-8
- USDA. 2012. United States Department of Agriculture. Livestock and Poultry: World Markets and Trade. http://www.fas.usda.gov/psdonline/circulars/livestock_poultry.pdf. Accessed February 8, 2013.
- von Lengerken, G., S. Maak, and M. Wicke. 2002. Muscle metabolism and meat quality of pigs and poultry. Vet. Zootec. 20:82-86.
- Wattanachant, S., S. Benjakul, and D. A. Ledward. 2004. Composition, color, and texture of Thai indigenous and broiler chicken muscles. Poult. Sci. 83:123-128. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.1.123
- Wattanachant, S., S. Benjakul, and D. A. Ledward. 2005. Microstructure and thermal characteristics of Thai indigenous and broiler chicken muscles. Poult. Sci. 84:328-336. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.2.328
- Zhuang, H. and E. M. Savage. 2011. Effect of postmortem deboning time on sensory descriptive flavor and texture profiles of cooked boneless skinless broiler thighs. Food Sci. Technol. 44:2087-2090.
- Near-Freezing Temperature Storage (−2C) for Extension of Shelf Life of Chilled Yellow-Feather Broiler Meat: A Special Breed in Asia vol.40, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.12611
- Effect of freezing on electrical properties and quality of thawed chicken breast meat vol.30, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0435
- Influence of rendering methods on yield and quality of chicken fat recovered from broiler skin vol.30, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0434
- Influences of end-point heating temperature on the quality attributes of chicken meat vol.57, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668.2016.1216942
- Validation of feasibility and quality of chicken breast meat cooked under various water-cooking conditions vol.87, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12589
- The breeding history and commercial development of the Korean native chicken vol.73, pp.01, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S004393391600088X
- Effects of moist- and dry-heat cooking on the meat quality, microstructure and sensory characteristics of native chicken meat pp.13443941, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12864
- Haematological and Serum Biochemical Responses of Ovambo Chickens Fed Provitamin A Biofortified Maize vol.20, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/1806-9061-2016-0444
- Carcass Quality, Meat Quality and Sensory Properties of the Dual-Purpose Chicken Lohmann Dual vol.7, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/foods7100156
- Superchilled storage (−2.5 ± 1°C) extends the retention of taste-active and volatile compounds of yellow-feather chicken soup vol.89, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.13004
- Addition of Capsicum oleoresin, Carvacrol, Cinnamaldehyde and their mixtures to the broiler diet II: Effects on meat quality vol.60, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-018-0165-9
- Evaluation of physicochemical characteristics of microwave vacuum dried mackerel and inhibition of oxidation by essential oils pp.0975-8402, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-019-03651-7