- Volume 28 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Bacillus-based Feed Additive on Growth Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, Fecal Gas Emission, and Pen Cleanup Characteristics of Growing-finishing Pigs
- Upadhaya, S.D. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, S.C. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Valientes, R.A. (DSM Nutritional Products Philippines, Inc.) ;
- Kim, I.H. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University)
- Received : 2015.01.26
- Accepted : 2015.03.06
- Published : 2015.07.01
Bacillus-based feed additive was evaluated for its efficacy on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, fecal gas emission, and the consumption of time and amount of water for cleaning the pen of growing finishing pigs. A total of 120 growing pigs (
Bacillus-based Feed Additive;Fecal Gas Emission;Growth Performance;Growing-finishing Pigs;Nutrient Digestibility
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- AOAC. 1995. Official Method of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 16th ed. Washington, DC, USA.
- Alvarado, M. A. P., J. C. Lopez, D. B. Varela, G. M. Landin, and J. A. C. Ibarguengoytia. 2013. Benzoic acid and a product based on Bacillus species to protect piglet productivity and the environment. Rev. Mex. Cienc. Pecu. 4:447-468.
- Chen, Y. J., B. J. Min, J. H. Cho, O. S. Kwon, K. S. Son, H. J. Kim, and I. H. Kim. 2006. Effects of dietary Bacillus-based probiotic on growth performance, nutrients digestibility, blood characteristics and fecal noxious gas content in finishing pigs. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 19:587-592. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.587
- Chesson, A. 1994. Probiotics and other intestinal mediators. In: Principles of Pig Science (Eds. D. J. A. Cole, J. Wiseman, and M. A. Varley). Nottingham University Press, Loughborough, UK. pp. 197-214.
- Choct, M., Y. Dersjant-Li, J. McLeish, and M. Peisker. 2010. Soy oligosaccharides and soluble non-starch polysaccharides: A review of digestion, nutritive and anti-nutritive effects in pigs and poultry. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 23:1386-1398. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90222
- Davis, M. E., T. Parrott, D. C. Brown, B. Z. de Rodas, Z. B. Johnson, C. V Maxwell, and T. Rehberger. 2008. Effect of a Bacillus-based direct-fed microbial feed supplement on growth performance and pen cleaning characteristics of growingfinishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 86:1459-1467. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0603
- Djouzi, Z., C. Andrieux, M. C. Degivry, C. Bouley, and O. Szylit. 1997. The association of yogurt starters with Lactobacillus casei DN 114.001 in fermented milk alters the composition and metabolism of intestinal microflora in germ-free rats and in human flora-associated rats. J. Nutr. 127:2260-2266. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/127.11.2260
- Erwin, E. S., G. T. Marco, and E. M. Emery. 1961. Volatile fatty acid analyses of blood and rumen fluid by gas chromatography. J. Dairy Sci. 44:1768-1771. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(61)89956-6
- Ferket, P. R., E. van Heugten, T. A. T. G van Kempen, and R. Angel. 2002. Nutritional strategies to reduce environmental emissions from non-ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 80:E168-E182. https://doi.org/10.2527/animalsci2002.80E-Suppl_2E168x
- Han, I. K., J. H. Lee, X. S. Piao, and D. Li. 2001. Feeding and management system to reduce environmental pollution in swine production - A review. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 14:432-444. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.432
- Hong, H. A., I. H. Duc, and S. M. Cutting. 2005. The use of bacterial spore formers as probiotics. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 29:813-835. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.femsre.2004.12.001
- Hong, J. W., I. H. Kim, O. S. Kwon, J. H. Kim, B. J. Min, and W. B. Lee. 2002. Effects of dietary probiotics supplementation on growth performance and fecal gas emission in nursing and finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 44:305-314. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.3.305
- Jeong J. S. and I. H. Kim. 2014. Effect of Bacillus subtilis C-3102 as a spores supplementation probiotic feed supplement on growth performance, noxious gas emission, and intestinal microflora in broilers. Poult. Sci. 93:3097-3103. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2014-04086
- Jonsson, E. and P. Conway. 1992. Probiotics for pigs. In: Probiotics: The Scientific Basis (Ed. R. Fuller). Chapman and Hall, London, UK. pp. 260-316.
- Le D. P., A. J. A. Aarnink, N. W. M. Ogink, P. M. Becker, and M. W. A. Verstegen. 2005. Odour from animal production facilities: its relationship to diet. Nutr. Res. Rev. 18:3-30. https://doi.org/10.1079/NRR200592
- Lei, Y. and I. H Kim. 2014. Effect of Phaffia rhodozyma on performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics, and meat quality in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 92:171-176. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-6749
- Meng, Q. W., L. Yan, X. Ao, T. X. Zhou, J. P. Wang, J. H. Lee, and I. H. Kim. 2010. Influence of probiotics in different energy and nutrient density diets on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, meat quality, and blood characteristics in growing-finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 88:3320-3326. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2308
- Mc Ginn, S. M. 2001. Odours from intensive livestock operations. Adv. Dairy Technol. 13:417-430.
- Nitikanchana, S., S. S. Dritz , M. D. Tokach, R. D. Goodband, J. M. DeRouchey, J. L. Nelssen, and J. R. Bergstrom. 2001. The effects of Micro Source S on growth performance, fecal consistency, and post cleaning microbial load of growingfinishing pigs. Swine day, Report of Progress 1056:240-246.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine, 10th ed. Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Park, J. H. and I. H. Kim. 2014. Supplemental effect of probiotic Bacillus subtilis B2A on productivity, organ weight, intestinal Salmonella microflora, and breast meat quality of growing broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 93:2054-2059. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2013-03818
- Park, J. H. and I. H. Kim. 2015. The effects of the supplementation of Bacillus subtilis RX7 and B2A strains on the performance, blood profiles, intestinal Salmonella microflora, noxious gas emission, organ weight and breast meat quality of broiler challenged with Salmonella typhimurium. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 99:326-334. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12248
- Schreier, H. J. 1993. Biosynthesis of glutamine and glutamate and the assimilation of ammonia In: Bacillus subtilis and Other Gram-positive Bacteria (Eds A. L. Sonenshein, J. A. Hoch, and R. Losick). Am. Soc. Microbiol. Washington, DC, USA. pp. 281-285.
- Schrezenmeir, J., and M. de Vrese. 2001. Probiotics, prebiotics, and symbiotic-approaching a definition. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 73:361S-364S. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/73.2.361s
- Sutton, A. L., K. B. Kephart, M. W. A Verstegen, T. T. Canh, and P. J. Hobbs. 1999. Potential for reduction of odorous compounds in swine manure through diet modification. J. Anim. Sci. 77:430-439. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.772430x
- Ushida, K., K. Hashizume, K. Miyazaki, Y. Kojima, and S. Takakuwa. 2003. Isolation of Bacillus sp. as a volatile sulfurdegrading bacterium and its application to reduce the fecal odor of pig. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1795-1798. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.1795
- Wang, Y., J. H. Cho, Y. J. Chen, J. S. Yoo, Y. Huang, H. J. Kim, and I. H. Kim. 2009. The effect of probiotic BioPlus 2B(R) on growth performance, dry matter and nitrogen digestibility and slurry noxious gas emission in growing pigs. Livest. Sci. 120:35-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2008.04.018
- Williams, C. H., D. J. David, and O. Iismaa. 1962. The determination of chromic oxide in faeces samples by atomic absorption spectrophotometry. J. Agric. Sci. 59:381-385. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002185960001546X
- Zhang, Z. F., and I. H. Kim. 2013. Effects of probiotic supplementation in different energy and nutrient density diets on performance, egg quality, excreta microflora, excreta noxious gas emission, and serum cholesterol concentrations in laying hens. J. Anim. Sci. 91:4781-4787. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-6484
- Zhang, Z. F., J. H. Cho, and I. H. Kim. 2013. Effects of Bacillus subtilis UBT-MO2 on growth performance, relative immune organ weight, gas concentration in excreta, and intestinal microbial shedding in broiler chickens. Livest. Sci. 155: 343-347. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2013.05.021
Zhang, Z. F., T. X. Zhou, X. Ao, and I. H. Kim. 2012. Effects of
$\beta$-glucan and Bacillus subtilis on growth performance, blood profiles, relative organ weight and meat quality in broilers fed maize-soybean meal based diets. Livest. Sci. 150:419-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2012.10.003
- Zhu, J. 2000. A review of microbiology in swine manure odor control. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 78:93-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8809(99)00116-4
- Nutritional effects on odour emissions in broiler production vol.73, pp.02, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933917000046
- Effect of Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus licheniformis supplementation in diets with low- and high-protein content on ileal crude protein and amino acid digestibility and intestinal microbiota composition of growing pigs vol.8, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40104-017-0168-2
- Effects of Dietary Bacillus subtilis Supplementation as Probiotics on Growth Performance and Nutrients Digestibility in Fattening Pigs vol.17, pp.12, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2018.634.640
- probiotics: an alternative to antibiotics for livestock production vol.124, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jam.13690