- Volume 28 Issue 7
Possibilities of predicting eggshell ultrastructure from direct non-destructive and destructive measurements were examined using 120 Fayoumi eggs collected from the flock at 45 weeks of age. The non-destructive measurements included weight, length and width of the egg. The destructive measurements were breaking strength and shell thickness. The eggshell ultrastructure traits involved the total thickness of eggshell layer, thickness of palisade layer, cone layer and total score. Prediction of total thickness of eggshell layer based on non-destructive measurements individually or simultaneously was not possible (
Eggshell Ultrastructure;Non-destructive and Destructive Measurements;Prediction Equations;Fayoumi Breed
- Abanikannda, O. T. F., O. Olutogun, A. O. Leigh, and L. A. Ajayi. 2007. Statistical modeling of egg weight and egg dimensions in commercial layers. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 6:59-63. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2007.59.63
- Abou El-Ghar, R. Sh. 2010. Genetic analyses of generation means for a cross between two local breeds of chickens: IIIinheritance of egg quality in F3 and backcross generations. Egypt. Poult. Sci. 30:763-772.
- Abou El-Ghar, R. Sh., H. M. Shalan, H. H. Ghanem, and O. M. Aly. 2009. Egg quality characteristics from some developed strains of chickens and their crosses. Egypt. Poult. Sci. 29:1173-1186.
- Alkan, S., T. Karsli, A. Galic, and K. Karabag. 2013. Determination of phenotypic correlations between internal and external quality traits of Guinea Fowl eggs. Kafkas Universitesi Veteriner Fakultesi Dergisi 19:861-867.
- Aygun, A. and R. Yetisir. 2010. The relationships among egg quality characteristic of different hybrid layers to forced molting programs with and without feed withdrawal. J. Anim. Vet. Adv. 9:710-715. https://doi.org/10.3923/javaa.2010.710.715
- Bain, M. M. 1990. Eggshell Strength: A Mechanical/Ultrastructural Evaluation. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK.
- Choprakarn, K., I. Salangam, and K. Janaka. 1998. Laying performance, egg characteristics and egg composition in Thai indigenous hens. J. Natl. Res. Council Thailand 30:1-17.
- Fathi, M. M., Y. K. Afifi, and S. A. El-Safty 2010. Utlrastructural diversity of eggshell quality in some Egyptian local breeds of chicken. Egypt. Poult. Sci. 30:813-827.
- Gunlu, A., K. Kiriki, O. Celin, and M. Carip. 2003. Some external and internal quality characteristics of patridge (A. graeca) eggs. Food Agric. Environ. 1:197-199.
- Kul, S. and I. Seker. 2004. Phenotypic Correlations between some external and internal egg quality traits in the japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica). Int. J. Poult. Sci. 6:400-405.
- Miazi, O. F., G. Miah, M. M. Uddin, M. M. Hassan, and M. F. Ahsan. 2011. Effects of environment and genotype for the expression of weight gain of Fayoumi and Sonali chicks. Inter. J. Nat. Sci.1:22-24.
- Montgomery, D. 2001. Design and Analysis of Experiments, Fifth Edn. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York, NY, USA. 684 p.
- Obike, M. O. and K. E. Azu. 2012. Phenotypic correlations among body weight, external and internal egg quality traits of pearl and black strains of guinea fowl in a humid tropical environment. J. Anim. Sci. Adv.10:857-864.
- Ojedapo, L. O. 2013. Phenotypic correlation between the external and internal egg quality traits of pharaoh quail reared in derived savanna zone of Nigeria. J. Biol. Agric. Health. 3:80-83.
- Panda, P. C. 1996. Shape and texture. In: Textbook on Egg and Poultry Technology (Ed. P. C. Panda). Vikas Publishing House Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, India. p. 57.
- Radwan, L. M. 2007. Comparative Study on Ultrastructural Measurements of Eggshell Quality in Some Local Breeds of Chicken Using Modern Techniques. M. Sc. Thesis, Faculty of Agriculture, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt.
Rashid, A., S. H. Khan, G. Abbas, M.Y. Amer, M. J. A. Khan, and N. Iftikhar. 2013. Effect of egg weight on hatchability and hatchling weight in Fayoumi, Desi, and crossbred (Rhode Island Red
$\times$Fayoumi) chickens. Vet. World 6:592-595. https://doi.org/10.5455/vetworld.2013.592-595
- Rathert, T. C., F. Uckardes, D. Narinc, and T. Aksoy. 2011. Comparison of principal component regression with the least square method in prediction of internal egg quality characteristics in Japanese quails. Kafkas Univ. Vet. Fak Derg, 17:687-692.
- Robert, J. R. and C. E. Brackpool. 1994. The ultrastructure of avian eggshells. Poult. Sci. Rev. 5:245-247.
- SAS Institute 2005. SAS/STAT User's Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Solomon, S. E. 1991. Egg and Eggshell Quality. Wolfe Publishing Ltd. London, UK.