- Volume 28 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Nighttime Cooling Is an Effective Method for Improving Milk Production in Lactating Goats Exposed to Hot and Humid Environment
- Sunagawa, Katsunori (Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus) ;
- Nagamine, Itsuki (Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus) ;
- Kamata, Yasuhiro (Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus) ;
- Niino, Noriko (Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus) ;
- Taniyama, Yoshihiko (Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus) ;
- Kinjo, Kazuhide (Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus) ;
- Matayoshi, Ayano (Faculty of Agriculture, University of the Ryukyus)
- 투고 : 2014.11.21
- 심사 : 2015.02.13
- 발행 : 2015.07.01
Heat production in ruminants follows a diurnal pattern over the course of a day peaking 3 hours following afternoon feeding and then gradually declining to its lowest point prior to morning feeding. In order to clarify the cooling period most effective in reducing decreases in feed intake and milk production, experiments were carried out based on the diurnal rhythm of heat production and heat dissipation. In experiment 1, the effects of hot environment on milk production were investigated. The animals were kept first in a thermoneutral environment (
- Ando, S., M. C. Mundia, Y. Nakamura, and S. Yamamoto. 1997. Effect of feed intake levels on heart rate, heat production, and mean body temperature of Holstein heifers. Anim. Sci. Technol. 68: 177-184.
- Antoni, F. A. 1986. Hypothalamic control of adrenocorticotropin secretion: Advances since the discovery of 41-residue corticotropin-releasing factor. Endocrine Rev. 7:351-378. https://doi.org/10.1210/edrv-7-4-351
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th. Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Arlington, VA, USA.
- Burton, J. L., B. W. McBride, E. Block, D. R. Glimm, and J. J. Kennely. 1994. A review of bovine growth hormone. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 74:167-201. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas94-027
- Hales, J. R. S. 1974. Physiological responses to heat. In Environmental Physiology (Eds. A. C. Guyton, D. Horrobin, and D. Robertshaw). Butterworths, University Park Press, London, UK. pp. 107-162.
- Chaiyabutr, N., S. Chanpongsang, and S. Suadsong. 2008. Effects of evaporative cooling on the regulation of body water and milk production in crossbred Holstein cattle in a tropical environment. Int. J. Biometerolol. 52:575-585. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00484-008-0151-x
- Jin, J., T. Yaegashi, and T. Hashizume. 2013. Effects of photoperiod on the secretion of growth hormone and prolactin during nighttime in female goats. Anim. Sci. J. 84:130-135. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2012.01050.x
- Johnson, H. D. 1987. Bioclimate effects on growth, reproduction and milk production. In: Bioclimatology and the adaptation of livestock (Ed. H. D. Johnson). Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands. pp. 35-57.
- Kadzere, C. T., M. R. Murphy, N. Silanikove, and E. Maltz. 2002. Heat stress in lactating cows: A review. Livest. Prod. Sci. 77:59-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(01)00330-X
- Kasuya, E., S. Kushibiki, K. Yayou, K. Hodate, and M. Suutoh. 2008. Light exposure during night suppresses nocturnal increase in growth hormone secretion in Holstein steers. J. Anim. Sci. 86: 1799-1807. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-0877
- Lu, C. D. 1989. Effects of heat stress on goat production. Small Rumin. Res. 2:151-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(89)90040-0
- Magdub, A., H. D. Johnson, and R. L. Belyea. 1982. Effect of environmental heat and dietary fiber on thyroid physiology of lactating cows. J. Dairy Sci. 65:2323-2331. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(82)82504-6
- Menzaghi, F., S. C. Heinrichs, E. M. Pich, F. Weiss, and G. F. Koob. 1993. The role of limbic and hypothalamic corticotropin-releasing factor in behavioral responses to stress. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 697:142-154. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1993.tb49929.x
- Mitra, R., G. I. Christison, and H. D. Johnson. 1972. Effect of prolonged thermal exposure on growth hormone (GH) secretion in cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 34:776-779. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1972.345776x
- Nagamine I. and K. Sunagawa. 2014. Effect of original formula feed feeding levels and environmental temperature on milk production in goats. J. Warm Region. Scoc. Anim. Sci. 57:131-140.
- Peel, C. J. and D. E. Bauman. 1987. Somatotropin and lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 70:474-486. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(87)80030-9
- Prosser, C. G., I. R. Fleet, and R. B. Heap. 1989. Action of IGF-I on mammary function. In: Biotechnology in Growth Regulation (Eds. R. B. Heap, C. G. Prosser, and G. E. Lamming). Butterworth, University Park, London, UK. pp. 141-151.
- Purwanto, B. P., Y. Abo, R. Sakamoto, F. Furumoto, and S. Yamamoto. 1990. Diurnal patterns of heat production and heart rate under thermoneutral conditions in Holstein Friesian cows differing in milk production. J. Agric. Sci. 114:139-142. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600072117
- Quabbe, H-J., M. Gregor, C. Bumke-Vogt, A. Eckhof, and I. Witt. 1981. Twenty-four-hour pattern of growth hormone secretion in the Rhesus monkey: Studies including alterations of the sleep/wake and sleep stage cycles. Endocrinology 109:513-522. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-109-2-513
- SAS. 1990. SAS/STAT User's Guide: Volume 2, Version 6.4th Ed. SAS Institute Inc., SAS Campus Drive, Cary, NC, USA 27523.
- Scott, I. M., H. D. Johnson, and G. L. Hahn. 1983. Effect of programmed diurnal temperature cycles on plasma thyroxine level, body temperature, and feed intake of Holstein dairy cows. Int. J. Biometeorol. 27:47-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02186300
- Sunagawa, K., Y. Arikawa, M. Higashi, H. Matsuda, H. Takahashi, Z. Kuriwaki, Z. Kojiya, S. Uechi, and F. Hongo. 2002. Direct effect of a hot environment on ruminal motility in sheep. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 15:859-865. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.859
- Thang, T. V., K. Sunagawa, I. Nagamine, and G. Ogura. 2011. Plasma osmolality controls dry forage intake in large-type goats. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 24:1069-1085. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11063
- Yamamoto, S., J. A. McLean, and A. J. Downie. 1979. Estimation of heat production from heart-rate measurements in cattle. Br. J. Nutr. 42:507-513. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19790142
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74: 3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- West, J. W. 1999. Nutritional strategies for managing the heatstressed dairy cow. J. Anim. Sci. 77:21-35.
- West, J. W. 2003. Effects of heat-stress on production in dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 86:2131-2144. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73803-X