- Volume 28 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Whole Genome Association Study to Detect Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms for Behavior in Sapsaree Dog (Canis familiaris)
- Ha, J.H. (School of Life Science, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Alama, M. (School of Biotechnology, Yeungnam University) ;
- Lee, D.H. (School of Life Science, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, J.J. (School of Biotechnology, Yeungnam University)
- Received : 2014.12.15
- Accepted : 2015.04.01
- Published : 2015.07.01
The purpose of this study was to characterize genetic architecture of behavior patterns in Sapsaree dogs. The breed population (n=8,256) has been constructed since 1990 over 12 generations and managed at the Sapsaree Breeding Research Institute, Gyeongsan, Korea. Seven behavioral traits were investigated for 882 individuals. The traits were classified as a quantitative or a categorical group, and heritabilities (
Supported by : KNU
- Bartlett, C. R. 1976. Heritabilities and Genetic Correlations between Hip Dysplasia and Temperament Traits of Seeingeyedogs. Mastersthesis, Rutgers University, NewBrunswick, NJ, USA.
- Eggen, A. 2012. The development and application of genomic selection as a new breeding paradigm. Anim. Front. 2:10-15.
- Falconer, D. S. and T. F. C. Mackay. 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. 4th edn. Longman Group Ltd., Essex, England.
- Famular, T. R. 2001. Genetics of quantitative traits and improvement of dog breeds. In: The Genetics of the Dog (Eds. A. Ruvinsky and J. Sampson). CABI Publishing, CAB International, Wallingford, Oxon, UK, pp. 487-503.
- Ferrell, R. E., D. C. Morizot, J. Horn, and C. J. Carley. 1980. Biochemical markers in species endangered by introgression: The red wolf. Biochem. Genet. 18:39-49. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00504358
- Fredholm, M. and A. K. Wintero. 1995. Variation of short tandem repeats within and between species belonging to the Canidae family. Mamm. Genome 6:11-18. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00350887
- Galibert, F., C. Andre, A. Cheron, J. C. Chuat, C. Hitte, Z. Jiang, S. Jouquand, C. Priat, C. Renier, and F. Vignaux. 1998. The importance of the canine model in medical genetics. Bull. Acad. Natl. Med. 182:811-821.
- Gilmour, A. R., B. R. Cullis, S. J. Welham, and R. Thompson. 2001. ASREML Reference Manual. NSW Agriculture, Orange, Australia.
- Goddard, M. E. and R. G. Beilharz. 1982. Genetics of traits which determine the suitability of dogs as guide-dogs for the blind. Appl. Anim. Ethol. 9:299-315.
- Han, K. I., M. Alam., Y. M. Lee., D. H. Lee., J. H. Ha, and J. J. Kim. 2010. A study on t he morphology and Behavior of the Sapsaree: A Korean native dog (Canis familiaris). J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 52:481-490. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.6.481
- Karlsson, E. K., I. Baranowska, C. M. Wade, N. H. Salmon Hillbertz, M. C. Zody, N. Anderson, T. M. Biagi, N. Patterson, G. R. Pielberg, E. J. Kulbokas 3rd et al. 2007. Efficient mapping of mendelian traits in dogs through genome-wide association. Nat. Genet. 39:1321-1328. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng.2007.10
- Karlsson, E. K. and K. Lindblad-Toh. 2008. Leader of the pack: gene mapping in dogs and other model organisms. Nat. Rev. Genet. 9:713-725.
- Kim, K. S., H. W. Jeong, C. K. Park, and J. H. Ha. 2001. Suitability of AFLP markers for the study of Genetic relationships among Korean native dogs. Genes Genet. Syst. 76:243-250. https://doi.org/10.1266/ggs.76.243
- Lynch, M. and B. Walsh. 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA, USA.
- Neter, J., W. Wasserman, and M. H. Kutner. 1990. Applied Linear Statistical Models. 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill/Irwin, Boston, MA, USA.
- Ostrander, E. A. and E. Giniger. 1997. Semper fidelis: What man's best friend can teach us about human biology and disease. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 61:475-480. https://doi.org/10.1086/515522
- Patterson, D. F., M. E. Haskins, and P. F. Jezyk. 1982. Models of human genetic disease in domestic animals. Adv. Hum. Genet. 12:263-339.
- Reuterwall, C. and N. Ryman. 1973. An estimate of the magnitude of additive genetic variation of some mental characters in Alsatian dogs. Hereditas 73:277-283.
- Ruefenacht, S., S. Gebhardt-henrich, T. Miyake, and C. Gaillard. 2002. A behavior test of German Shepherd dogs: heritability of seven different traits. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 79:113-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(02)00134-X
- Spaady, T. C. and E. A. Ostrander. 2008. Canine behavioral genetics: Pointing out the phenotypes and herding up the genes. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 82:10-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajhg.2007.12.001
- Sutter, N. B., C. D. Bustamante, K. Chase, M. M. Gray, K. Zhao, L. Zhu, B. Padhukasahasram, E. Karlins, S. Davis, P. G. Jones, P. Quignon, G. S. Johnson, H. G. Parker, N. Fretwell, D. S. Mosher, D. F. Lawler, E. Satyaraj, M. Nordborg, K. G. Lark, R. K. Wayne, and E. A. Ostrander. 2007. A single IGFI allele is a major determinant of small size in dogs. Science 316(5821):112-115. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1137045
- Sutter, N. B. and E. A. Ostrander. 2004. Dog star rising: The canine genetic system. Nat. Rev. Genet. 5:900-910. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrg1492
- Vila, C., P. Savolainen, J. E. Maldonado, I. R. Amorim, J. E. Rice, R. L. Honeycut, K. A. Crandall, J. Lundeberg, and R. K. Wayne. 1997. Multiple and ancient origins of the domestic dog. Science 276(5319):1687-1689. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.276.5319.1687
- Wayne, R. K. and E. A. Ostrander. 1999. Origin, genetic diversity, and genome structure of the domestic dog. BioEssays 21:247-257. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1521-1878(199903)21:3<247::AID-BIES9>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Wilsson, E. and P.-E. Sundgren. 1997. The use of a behavior test for selection of dogs for service and breeding. II: Heritability for tested parameters and effect of selection based on service dog characteristics. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 54:235-241. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(96)01175-6