- Volume 28 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Isolation, Culture and Identification of Porcine Skeletal Muscle Satellite Cells
- Li, Bo-jiang ;
- Li, Ping-hua ;
- Huang, Rui-hua ;
- Sun, Wen-xing ;
- Wang, Han ;
- Li, Qi-fa ;
- Chen, Jie ;
- Wu, Wang-jun ;
- Liu, Hong-lin
- Received : 2014.11.01
- Accepted : 2015.02.22
- Published : 2015.08.01
The objective of this study was to establish the optimum protocol for the isolation and culture of porcine muscle satellite cells. Mononuclear muscle satellite cells are a kind of adult stem cell, which is located between the basal lamina and sarcolemma of muscle fibers and is the primary source of myogenic precursor cells in postnatal muscle. Muscle satellite cells are a useful model to investigate the mechanisms of muscle growth and development. Although the isolation and culture protocols of muscle satellite cells in some species (e.g. mouse) have been established successfully, the culture system for porcine muscle satellite cells is very limited. In this study, we optimized the isolation procedure of porcine muscle satellite cells and elaborated the isolation and culture process in detail. Furthermore, we characterized the porcine muscle satellite cells using the immunofluorecence. Our study provides a reference for the isolation of porcine muscle satellite cells and will be useful for studying the molecular mechanisms in these cells.
Pig;Skeletal Muscle Satellite Cell;Isolation;Culture;Characterization
- Bennett, V. D., E. Cowles, H. D. Husic, and C. H. Suelter. 1986. Muscle cell cultures from chicken breast muscle have increased specific activities of creatine kinase when incubated at 41 degrees C compared with 37 degrees C. Exp. Cell Res. 164:63-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-4827(86)90454-4
- Bischoff, R. 1974. Enzymatic liberation of myogenic cells from adult rat muscle. Anat. Rec. 180:645-661. https://doi.org/10.1002/ar.1091800410
- Blanton, J. R., Jr., A. L. Grant, D. C. McFarland, J. P. Robinson, and C. A. Bidwell. 1999. Isolation of two populations of myoblasts from porcine skeletal muscle. Muscle Nerve. 22:43-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4598(199901)22:1<43::AID-MUS8>3.0.CO;2-O
- Blau, H. M. and C. Webster. 1981. Isolation and characterization of human muscle cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 78:5623-5627. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.78.9.5623
- Bonavaud, S., O. Agbulut, G. D'Honneur, R. Nizard, V. Mouly, and G. Butler-Browne. 2002. Preparation of isolated human muscle fibers: A technical report. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. -Anim. 38:66-72.
- Campion, D. R., R. L. Richardson, J. O. Reagan, and R. R. Kraeling. 1981. Changes in the satellite cell population during postnatal growth of pig skeletal muscle. J. Anim. Sci. 52:1014-1018. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.5251014x
- Di Foggia, V. and L. Robson. 2012. Isolation of satellite cells from single muscle fibers from young, aged, or dystrophic muscles. Methods Mol. Biol. 916: 3-14. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-61779-980-8_1
- Dodson, M. V., E. L. Martin, M. A. Brannon, B. A. Mathison, and D. C. McFarland. 1987. Optimization of bovine satellite cellderived myotube formation in vitro. Tissue Cell 19:159-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-8166(87)90001-2
- Dodson, M. V., D. C. McFarland, E. L. Martin, and M. A. Brannon. 1986. Isolation of satellite cells from ovine skeletal muscles. J. Tissue Cult. Methods 10:233-237. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01404483
- Doumit, M. E. and R. A. Merkel. 1992. Conditions for isolation and culture of porcine myogenic satellite cells. Tissue Cell 24:253-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-8166(92)90098-R
- Fukada, S., Y. Ma, T. Ohtani, Y. Watanabe, S. Murakami, and M. Yamaguchi. 2013. Isolation, characterization, and molecular regulation of muscle stem cells. Front. Physiol. 4:317.
- Kastner, S., M. C. Elias, A. J. Rivera, and Z. Yablonka-Reuveni. 2000. Gene expression patterns of the fibroblast growth factors and their receptors during myogenesis of rat satellite cells. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 48:1079-1096. https://doi.org/10.1177/002215540004800805
- Mau, M., N. Oksbjerg, and C. Rehfeldt. 2008. Establishment and conditions for growth and differentiation of a myoblast cell line derived from the semimembranosus muscle of newborn piglets. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. - Anim. 44:1-5.
- Mauro, A. 1961. Satellite cell of skeletal muscle fibers. J. Biophys. Biochem. Cytol. 9:493-495. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.9.2.493
- Mesires, N. T. and M. E. Doumit. 2002. Satellite cell proliferation and differentiation during postnatal growth of porcine skeletal muscle. Am. J. Physiol. Cell. Physiol. 282:C899-906. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpcell.00341.2001
- Rhoads, R. P., M. E. Fernyhough, X. Liu, D. C. McFarland, S. G. Velleman, G. J. Hausman, and M. V. Dodson. 2009. Extrinsic regulation of domestic animal-derived myogenic satellite cells II. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 36:111-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2008.12.005
- Rosenblatt, J. D., A. I. Lunt, D. J. Parry, and T. A. Partridge. 1995. Culturing satellite cells from living single muscle fiber explants. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol.-Anim. 31:773-779. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02634119
- Shefer, G. and Z. Yablonka-Reuveni. 2005. Isolation and culture of skeletal muscle myofibers as a means to analyze satellite cells. Methods. Mol. Biol. 290:281-304.
- Theil, P. K., I. L. Sorensen, P. M. Nissen, and N. Oksbjerg. 2006. Temporal expression of growth factor genes of primary porcine satellite cells during myogenesis. Anim. Sci. J. 77:330-337. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2006.00356.x
- Wilschut, K. J., H. P. Haagsman, and B. A. J. Roelen. 2010. Extracellular matrix components direct porcine muscle stem cell behavior. Exp. Cell Res. 316:341-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yexcr.2009.10.014
- Wilschut, K. J., S. Jaksani, J. Van Den Dolder, H. P. Haagsman, and B. A. J. Roelen. 2008. Isolation and characterization of porcine adult muscle-derived progenitor cells. J. Cell. Biochem. 105:1228-1239. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.21921
- Effects of a traditional Chinese medicine formula and its extraction on muscle fiber characteristics in finishing pigs, porcine cell proliferation and isoforms of myosin heavy chain gene expression in myocytes vol.30, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0872
- Changes in calpain and caspase gene expression at the mRNA level during bovine muscle satellite cell myogenesis and the correlation between the cell model and the muscle tissue vol.43, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1134/S1068162017030177
- Separation of functionally divergent muscle precursor cell populations from porcine juvenile muscles by discontinuous Percoll density gradient centrifugation vol.19, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12860-018-0156-1