- Volume 28 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Genetic Variability of Show Jumping Attributes in Young Horses Commencing Competing
- Prochniak, Tomasz (Department of Biological Bases of Animal Production, University of Life Sciences in Lublin) ;
- Rozempolska-Rucinska, Iwona (Department of Biological Bases of Animal Production, University of Life Sciences in Lublin) ;
- Zieba, Grzegorz (Department of Biological Bases of Animal Production, University of Life Sciences in Lublin) ;
- Lukaszewicz, Marek (Institute of Genetics and Animal Breeding, Polish Academy of Sciences)
- Received : 2014.11.13
- Accepted : 2015.02.27
- Published : 2015.08.01
The aim of the study was to select traits that may constitute a prospective criterion for breeding value prediction of young horses. The results of 1,232 starts of 894 four-, five-, six-, and seven-year-old horses, obtained during jumping championships for young horses which had not been evaluated in, alternative to championships, training centres were analyed. Nine traits were chosen of those recorded: ranking in the championship, elimination (y/n), conformation, rating of style on day one, two, and three, and penalty points on day one, two, and three of a championship. (Co)variance components were estimated via the Gibbs sampling procedure and adequate (co)variance component ratios were calculated. Statistical classifications were trait dependent but all fitted random additive genetic and permanent environment effects. It was found that such characteristics as penalty points and jumping style are potential indicators of jumping ability, and the genetic variability of the traits was within the range of 14% to 27%. Given the low genetic correlations between the conformation and other results achieved on the parkour, the relevance of assessment of conformation in four-years-old horses has been questioned.
Horse Breeding;Show Jumping;Variance Components
- Ducro, B. J., E. P. C. Koenen, J. M. F. M. Van Tartwijk, and H. Bovenhuis. 2007. Genetic relations of movement and freejumping traits with dressage and show-jumping performance in competition of Dutch Warmblood horses. Livest. Sci. 107:227-234. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2006.09.018
- Ducro, B. J., H. Bovenhuis, and W. Back. 2009. Heritability of foot conformation and its relationship to sports performance in a Dutch Warmblood horse population. Equine Vet. J. 41:139-143. https://doi.org/10.2746/042516409X366130
- Gorecka-Bruzda, A. and T. Jezierski. 2010. Breed differences in behaviour-related characteristics of stallions evaluated in performance tests. Anim. Sci. Pap. Rep. 28:27-36.
- Gorecka-Bruzda, A., M. H. Chruszczewski, T. Jezierski, and J. Murphy. 2011. Behaviour-related traits of Polish sport horse stallions participating in 100-day performance tests. Livest. Sci. 136:207-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.09.014
- Huizinga, H. A. and G. J. W. Van der Meij. 1989. Estimated parameters of performance in jumping and dressage competition of the Dutch Warmblood horse. Livest. Prod. Sci. 21:333-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(89)90093-6
- Koenen, E. P. C. and L. I. Aldridge. 2002. Testing and genetic evaluation of sport horses in an international perspective. In: 7th World Congress Applied to Livestock Production, Montpellier, France. p. 23.
- Koenen, E. P. C., A. E. Van Veldhuizen, and E. W. Brascamp. 1995. Genetic parameters of linear scored conformation traits and their relation to dressage and show-jumping performance in the Dutch Warmblood Riding Horse population. Livest. Prod. Sci. 43:85-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(95)00010-I
- Langlois, B. and C. Blouin. 2004. Practical efficiency of breeding value estimations based on annual earnings of horses for jumping, trotting, and galloping races in France. Livest. Prod. Sci. 87:99-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2003.10.003
- Thoren Hellsten, E., A. Viklund, E. P. C. Koenen, A. Ricard, E. Bruns, and J. Philipsson. 2006. Review of genetic parameters estimated at stallion and young horse performance tests and their correlations with later results in dressage and showjumping competition. Livest. Sci. 103:1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2006.01.004
- Tsuruta, S. and I. Misztal. 2006. THRGIBBS1F90 for estimation of variance components with threshold and linear models. In: Proceedings of the 8th World Congress on Genetics Applied to Livestock Production, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil. pp. 27-31.
- Viklund, A., A. Nasholm, E. Strandberg, and J. Philipsson. 2011. Genetic trends for performance of Swedish Warmblood horses. Livest. Sci. 141:113-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2011.05.006
- Wallin, L., E. Strandberg, and J. Philipsson. 2003. Genetic correlations between field test results of Swedish Warmblood Riding Horses as 4-year-olds and lifetime performance results in dressage and show jumping. Livest. Prod. Sci. 82:61-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(02)00307-X
- Evaluation of the breeding value based on scores achieved in the Polish Championships for Young Horses vol.0, pp.0, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1515/aoas-2015-0054