- Volume 28 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Genetic Associations between Production and Meat Quality Traits in Duroc Pigs
- Cabling, M.M. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Kang, H.S. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Lopez, B.M. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Jang, M. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Kim, H.S. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Nam, K.C. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Choi, J.G. (Animal Breeding and Genetics Division, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Seo, K.S. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Sunchon National University)
- Received : 2014.10.08
- Accepted : 2015.02.13
- Published : 2015.08.01
Data collected from 690 purebred Duroc pigs from 2009 to 2012 were used to estimate the heritability, and genetic and phenotypic correlations between production and meat quality traits. Variance components were obtained through the restricted maximum likelihood procedure using Wombat and SAS version 9.0. Animals were raised under the same management in five different breeding farms. The average daily gain, loin muscle area (LMA), backfat thickness (BF), and lean percent (LP) were measured as production traits. Meat quality traits included pH, cooking loss, lightness (
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis Association of Official Analytical Chemist. 16th Ed, Washington, DC, USA.
- Akkanno, E. C., F. S. Schenkel, V. M. Quinton, R. M. Friendship, and J. A. B. Robinson. 2013. Meta-analysis of genetic parameter estimates for reproduction, growth and carcass traits of pigs in the tropics. Livest. Sci. 152:101-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2012.07.021
- Berg, E. P., E. L. McFadin, R. R. Maddock, N. Goodwin, T. J. Baas, and D. H. Keisler. 2003. Serum concentrations of leptin in six genetic lines of swine and relationship with growth and carcass characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 81:167-171. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.811167x
- Bidanel, J. P., A. Ducos, F. Labroue, R. Gueblez, and C. Gasnier. 1994. Genetic parameters of backfat thickness, age at 100kg and meat quality raits in Pietrain pigs. Ann. Zootech. 43:141-149. https://doi.org/10.1051/animres:19940204
- Cameron, N. D. 1990. Genetic and phenotypic parameters for carcass traits, meat and eating quality traits in pigs. Livest. Prod. Sci. 26:119-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(90)90061-A
- Ciobanu, D., S. M. Lonergan, and E. J. Huff-Lonergan. 2011. Gtenetics of meat quality and carcass traits. In: The genetics of the pigs (Eds. M. F. Rothschild and A. Rubinsky). CAB Int., New York, NY, USA. 355-389.
- Dube, B., S. D. Mulugeta, and K. Dzama. 2013. Genetic relationship between growth and carcass traits in Large white pigs. S. Afr. J. Anim. Sci. 43:482-491.
- Falconer, D. S. 1989. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. 3rd ed. John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York, NY, USA.
- Hermesch, S., B. G. Luxford, and H.-U. Graser. 2000b. Genetic parameters for lean meat yield, meat quality, reproduction and feed efficiency traits for Australian pigs: 2. Genetic relationship between production, carcass and meat quality traits. Livest. Prod. Sci. 65:249-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00151-2
- Jelenikova J., P. Pipek, and M. Miyahara. 2008. The effects of breed, sex, intramuscular fat and ultimate pH on pork tenderness. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 227:989-994. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-007-0810-x
- Johnson Z. B., J. J. Chewning, and R. A. Nugent III. 1999. Genetic parameters for production traits and measures of residual feed intake in large white swine. J. Anim. Sci. 77:1679-1685. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.7771679x
- Lowe, B. K., D. L. Clark, D. D. Boler, A. C. Dilger, F. K. McKeith, J. M. Eggert, D. W. Newcom, and J. Killefer. 2011. Characterization of Loin shape from Duroc and Duroc composite finishing gilts. Meat Sci. 87:146-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.10.004
- Miar Y., G. S. Plastow, S. S. Moore, G. Manafiazar, P. Charagu, R. A. Kemp, B. Van Haandel, A. E. Huisman, C. Y. Zhang, R. M. McKay, H. L. Bruce, and Z. Wang. 2014. Genetic and phenotypic parameters for carcass and meat quality traits in commercial crossbred pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 92:2869-2884. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-7685
- Price, J. F. and B. S. Schweigert. 1987. The Science of Meat and Meat Products. 3rd Ed. Food & Nutrition Press, Trumbull, CT, USA.
- SAS Institute Inc. 2002. SAS/STAT User Guide, Release 8.0, Cary, NC, USA.
- Stewart, T. S. and A. P. Schinckel. 1990. Genetic parameters for swine growth and carcass traits. In: Genetics of Swine (Ed. L. D. Young). North Central Reg. Pub., USDA, Clay Center, NE, USA.
- Suzuki K., M. Ishida, H. Kadowak, T. Shibata, H. Uchida, and A. Nishida. 2006. Genetic correlations among fatty acid compositions in different sites of fat tissues, meat production, and meat quality traits in Duroc pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 84:2026-2034. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-660
- Suzuki. K., M. Irie, H. Kadowaki, T. Shibata, M. Kumagai, and A. Nishida. 2005. Genetic parameter estimates of meat quality traits in Duroc pigs selected for average daily gain, longissimus muscle area, backfat thickness, and intramuscular fat content. J. Anim. Sci. 83:2058-2065. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.8392058x
- Van Steenbergen, E. J., E. Kanis, and H. A. M. Van Der Steen. 1990. Genetic parameters of fattening performance and exterior traits of boars tested in central stations. Livest. Prod. Sci. 24:65-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(90)90032-2
- Wilson, E. R. and R. K. Johnson. 1981. Comparison of three-breed and backcross swine for litter productivity and postweaning performance. J. Anim. Sci. 52:18-25. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.52118x
- Optimization of Swine Breeding Programs Using Genomic Selection with ZPLAN+ vol.29, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0842
- Genetic parameters and trends for production traits and their relationship with litter traits in Landrace and Yorkshire pigs vol.89, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.13090
- is a marker for skeletal muscle development and meat production traits in pigs pp.02689146, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/age.12712
- Comparisons of meat quality and muscle fibre characteristics on multiple pig breeds and sexes using principal component analysis vol.58, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN16223