- Volume 16 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on Heat Transfer and Pressure Drop Characteristics of Staggered Tube Banks using CFD Analysis
CFD해석을 통한 엇갈린형 관군의 열전달 및 압력강하 특성에 관한 연구
- Received : 2015.01.19
- Accepted : 2015.05.07
- Published : 2015.05.31
In this study, the characteristics of heat transfer and pressure drop was theoretically analyzed by changing longitudinal pitch, bump phase, location of vortex generator about the staggered tube banks by applying SST (Shear Stress Transport) turbulence model of ANSYS FLUENT v.14. Before carrying out CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) analysis, It is presumed that the boundary condition is the tube surface temperature of 363 K, the inlet air temperature of 313 K and the inlet air velocity of 5-10 m/s. The results indicated that the heat transfer coefficient is not affected by the longitudinal pitch and the bump phase of circle type was more appropriate than serrated type in the characteristics of heat transfer and pressure drop. Additionally, in case of vortex generator location, the heat transfer characteristics showed that forward location of tube was more favorable 4.6% than backward location.
Bump Shapes;Heat Transfer;Pressure Drop;Staggered Tube Bank;Vortex Generator
- Faghri, M., Rao, N., "Numerical Computation of Flow and Heat Transfer in Finned and Unfinned tube banks", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 363-372, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(87)90124-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(87)90124-4
- Y. D. Jun, M. H. Nam, B. S. Koo, K. B. Lee "Numerical Simulation of Heat Transfer Characteristics of Tube Banks with Non-conventional Arrangement ", The Society of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration, pp. 1129-1134, 2009.
- Chapman, A. J, "Fundamentals of Heat Transfer", McMillan Publishing Co., pp. 350-353, 1987.
- Launder, B. E. and Massey, T. H., "The Numerical Prediction of Viscous Flow and Heat Transfer in Tube Banks", Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 100, pp. 565-571, 1978. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1115/1.3450858 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3450858
- Fujii, M. Fujii, T., Nagata T., "Numerical Heat Transfer", Vol. 7, pp. 89-102, 1984. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10407798408546958
- K. W. Park, D. H. Choi, K. S. Lee, K. H. Chang, "Design Optimization of Plate Heat Exchanger with Staggered Pin Arrays", The Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp. 1441-1446, 2003.
- A. T. Cho, K. Y. Kim, "Analysis of Turbulent Heat Transfer from Staggered Pin-Fin arrays with Diamond Shaped Elements at Various Geometrical Configurations", Korean Society for Computational Fluids Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 20-25, 2008.
- G. H. Lee, Y. S. Bang, S. W. Woo, "Numerical Analysis of Turbulent Flow in a Staggered Tube Bundle by Applying CFD Best Practice Guideline", The Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp. 2900-2905, 2012.
- S. W. Hwang, J. H. Jeong, "Flow Analysis of Heat Exchanger with Delta Winglet Vortex Generators on CFD", The Society of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration, pp.1166 -1171, 2009.
- C. H. Jun, G. H. Jang, "Heat Transfer", Bosunggak Pub., pp. 224-233, 2008.
- Z. Liu and J. K. Yoon, "A study on heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics of plain fin-tube heat exchanger using CFD analysis", Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, Vol. 38, No. 6 pp. 615-624, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2014.38.6.615 https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2014.38.6.615