- Volume 30 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Study on Prevention of Drowsiness Driving using Electrocardiography(LF/HF) Index
심전도(LF/HF)를 활용한 졸음운전 예방 연구
- Moon, Kwangsu (Department of Psychology, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Hwang, Kyungin (Department of Psychology, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Choi, Eunju (Department of Psychology, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Oah, Shezeen (Department of Psychology, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2014.12.04
- Accepted : 2015.04.14
- Published : 2015.04.30
The purpose of this study was to identify the relationship between the index of Electrocardiography(LF/HF) and the occurrence of drowsiness driving while driving in a simulated situation. Participants were 31 undergraduate students with an experience in driving and they participated 30 minutes driving under enough sleep condition and 1 hour under the sleep deprivation condition. The Euro Truck Simulator II was used for driving simulation task and ECG and perceived drowsiness of each participants were measured during two driving conditions. Perceived sleepiness recorded by the checklist every 10 minutes and ECG data extracted before and after 15 seconds of every 10 minutes to verify the relationship between two variables. The results showed that the level of perceived sleepiness under sleep deprivation condition was higher than that under the enough sleep condition, and the level of LF/HF under sleep deprivation condition was lower than that under the enough sleep condition. In addition, the result of analysis of repeated measure ANOVA for ECG indicated that authentic sleepiness revealed in 20 minutes after the start of driving under the sleep deprivation condition. However, the result of perceived drowsiness indicated that authentic sleepiness revealed in 30 minutes after the start of driving. These result suggest that the time difference between biological and perceived response on drowsiness may be exist. Finally, the significant negative correlation between the LF/HF level and perceived drowsiness was observed. These findings suggest that ECG(LF/HF) can be an possible index to measure drowsiness driving.
electrocardiography;drowsiness driving;safety driving;ECG;driving accident
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- J. C. Stutts, J. W. Wilkins and B. V. Vaughn,. Why do People Have Drowsy Driving Crashes. Input from Drivers who Just Did. Washington: AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. 1999.
- J. M. Lyznicki, T. C. Doege, R. M. Davis and M. A.Williams, "Sleepiness, Driving, and Motor Vehicle Crashes", The Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol.279, No.23, pp.1908-1913, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.279.23.1908
- I. D. Brown, "Driver Fatigue", Human Factors, Vol.36, No.2, pp.298-314, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872089403600210
- H. J. Eoh, M. K. Chung and S. Kim, "Electroencephalographic Study of Drowsiness in Simulated Driving with Sleep Deprivation", International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, Vol.35, No.4, pp.307-320, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ergon.2004.09.006
- S. Kar, A. Routray and B. P. Nayak, "Functional Network Changes Associated with Sleep Deprivation and Fatigue during Simulated Driving: Validation using Blood Biomarkers", Clinical Neurophysiology, Vol.122, No.5, pp.966-974, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinph.2010.08.009
- A. Murata and Y. Hiramatsu, "Evaluation of Drowsiness by HRV Measures-basic Study for Drowsy Driver detection", In Proceedings of 4th International Workshop on Computational Intelligence & Application. pp. 99-102, 2008.
- R. P. Nikhil, C. Chien-Yao, K. Li-Wei, C. Chih-Feng, J. Tzyy-Ping, L. Sheng-Fu and L. Chin-Teng, "EEG-based Subject-and Session-independent Drowsiness Detection: an Unsupervised Approach", EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing 2008, pp.192, 2008.
- M. Patel, S. K. L. Lal, D. Kavanagh and P. Rossiter, "Applying Nural Network Analysis on Heart Rate Variability Data to Assess Driver Fatigue", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.38, No.6, pp.7235-7242, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2010.12.028
- M. S. Kim, Y. N. Kim and Y. S. Heo, "Characteristics of Heart Rate Variability Derived from ECG during the Driver's Wake and Sleep States", Transaction of KASE, Vol.22, No.3, pp. 136-142, 2014.
- G. D. Lee, M. S. Kim, J. S. Kim, D. G., Kim, J. H. Oh and S. J. Yu, "Effects of Blowing to Face on Driver's Sleepiness and ECG", This Paper Presented in Summer Conference of the Society of Air-Conditioning and Refrigerating Engineers of Korea, 2012.
- J. Connor, R. Norton, S. Ameratunga, E. Robinson, I. Civil, R. Dunn, J. Bailey and R. Jackson, "Driver Sleepiness and Risk of Serious Injury to Car Occupants: Population Based Case Control Study", BMJ, Vol.324, No.7346, pp.1125, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.324.7346.1125
- Korean Road Traffic Authority, Estimation and Assessment of 2012 Traffic Accident Cost, 2013.
- Korean Expressway Corporation, Current State of Car Accident, 2012.
- C. Liu, and R. Subramanian, Factors related to fatal single-vehicle run-off-road crashes (No. HS-811 232), 2009.
- J. A. Horne, and L. A. Reyner, "Sleep-related Vehicle Accidents", British Medical Journal, Vol.310, No.6979, pp. 565-567. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.310.6979.565
- National Highway Traffic safety Administration. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Cats/Index.aspx.
- L. T. Nguyen, B. Jauregui, and D. F. Dinges, "Changing Behaviors to Prevent Drowsy Driving and Promote Traffic Safety: Review of Proven, Promising, and Unproven Techniques", AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, Pennsylvania, 1998.
- E. De Valck and R. Cluydts, "Slow Release Caffeine as a Countermeasure to Driver Sleepiness Induced by Partial Sleep Deprivation", Journal of Sleep Research, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 203-209, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2869.2001.00260.x
- E. De Valck, E. De Groot and R. Cluydts, "Effects of Slow-release Caffeine and a Nap on Driving Simulator Performance After Partial Sleep Deprivation", Perceptual and Motor Skills, Vol.96, No.1, pp.67-78, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.2003.96.1.67
- S. Miyata, A. Noda, N. Ozaki, Y. Hara, M. Minoshima, K. Iwamoto and Y. Koike, "Insufficient Sleep Impairs Driving Performance and Cognitive Function", Neuroscience Letters, Vol.469, No.2, pp.229-233, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2009.12.001
- A. I. Pack, A. M. Pack, E. Rodgman, A. Cucchiara, D. F. Dinges and C. W. Schwab, "Characteristics of Crashes Attributed to the Driver Having Fallen Asleep", Accident Analysis & Prevention, Vol.27, No.6, pp. 769-775, 1995 https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-4575(95)00034-8
- A. Bezerianos, S. Papadimitriou and D. Alexopoulos, "Radial Basis Function Neural Networks for the Characterization of Heart Rate Variability Dynamics" Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 215-234, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0933-3657(98)00055-4
- Effect of Color Light Stimulation Using LED on Sleep Induction Time vol.2017, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/6030268