- Volume 30 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Hazardous Heavy Metal in Colored Materials of Playground Facility for Children
어린이 놀이시설의 소재 색상에 따른 유해중금속 분석 연구
- Huh, Sun Hae (Department of Safety Engineering, Dongguk University) ;
- Weon, Jong-Il (Department of Safety Engineering, Dongguk University)
- Received : 2014.07.24
- Accepted : 2015.04.14
- Published : 2015.04.30
The content of hazardous heavy metal of materials used in playground facility for children was investigated using X-ray fluorescence (XRF) and inductively coupled plasma (ICP) analyses, In order to examine the content of hazardous heavy metals according to the material color, four colors, i.e., green, red, yellow and blue, were categorized on the materials used. The highest lead content is observed in the yellow plastic samples. The yellow samples with relatively high lead content show that the chrome content is also high. This can explained that lead chromate, so-called chromium yellow, is normally used as a main pigment to express the yellow color. Therefore, it is concluded that hazardous heavy metal detected in the materials of playground facility for children is due to the pigments used for coloring. Based on above findings, the relationship between the color of materials used in playground facility for children and the content of hazardous heavy metal is discussed.
hazardous heavy metal;playground;pigment;plastic;synthetic rubber
- R. L. Tate, "Soil Microbiology", John Wiley and Sons, pp. 21-30, 1995.
- B. G. Yu, M. S. Yu and I. S. Sun, "Development of Certified Reference Material for Heavy Metal(Pb, Cd) in Paint", Spring Conference to The Korean Society of Analytical Sciences, pp. 9, 2012.
- Centers for Disease Control(DHHS/PHS). "Preventing Lead Poisoning in Young Children", A Statement by the Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta. 1991.
- H. S. An, J. H. Kim and S. G. Hyum, "Environment Parameters Affecting Heavy Metal Concentration in Sand Collected from Children Playground in Seoul Metropolitan Area" Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 193-202, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2013.46.3.193
- S. W. Yoo, K. M. An and J. S. Kim, "A Study on the Color Preference of the Equipment of the Children's Playground", Journal of Korean Society Of Color Studies, Vol. 13, pp. 95-104, 1999.
- C. Mans, S. Hanning, C. Simons, A. Wagner, A. Janben, and M. Kreyenschmidt, "Development of Suitable Plastic Standards for X-ray Fluorescence Analysis", Spectrochimica Acta Part B: Atomic Spectroscopy, Vol. 62, No. 2, pp. 116-122, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sab.2007.02.001
- F. L. Mclquiades and C. R. Appoloni, "Application of XRF and Field Portable XRF for Environmental Analysis", Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, Vol. 262, No. 2, pp. 533-541, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JRNC.0000046792.52385.b2
- Ministry of Environment, "Management Guideline of Eco-Friendly and Reassuring Children Activity Space", Ministry of environment, pp. 16-17, 2011.
- Y. A. Cho, W. I. Kim, S. K. Shin, Y. Y. Kang, M. S. Kim, S. K. Jeong, J. M. Yeon, N. Kim and J. Y. Lee, "Characteristics of Heavy Metals's Exposure from Playground Flooring", Analytical Science & Technology, Vol. 25, pp. 416-420, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5806/AST.2012.25.6.416
- M. Bounakhla, K. Embarch, F. Zahry, E. Bilal and P. Kump, "Capabilities of Elemental Analysis by EDXRF for Geochemistry", Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, Vol. 275, No. 3, pp. 467-478, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10967-005-6698-7
- S. J. Choi, C. H. Kim and S. G. Lee, "Comparison of the Heavy Metal Analysis in Soil Samples by Bench-Top ED-XRF and Field-Potable XRF", Analytical Science & Technology, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 293-301, 2009.
- T. S. Seo, Y. S. Byeon, Y. S. Kim, Y. C. Park and D. P. Kim, "Chemistry and Application of Pigments", Haksul Intelligence. co. ltd, pp. 74-78, 2001.
- H. C. Choi, S. H. An, H. S. Lee and H. S. Kim, "Exposures to Airborne Lead Chromate in the Producing and Using Industries", Journal of Korean Society of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 293-302, 2008.
- N. S. Kim, S. H. Choi, K. S. Cho, J. H. Kim, J. O. Ham, K. D. Ahn and B. K. Lee, "Evaluation of Lead Concentration on the Surface of Children's Playing Equipments Using a Field Portable X-ray Fluorescence (FPXRF)", Journal of Korean Society of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, Vol. 18, No. 2, 133-140, 2008.