- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Application of Bacterial Foraging Algorithm and Genetic Algorithm for Selective Voltage Harmonic Elimination in PWM Inverter
- Maheswaran, D. ;
- Rajasekar, N. ;
- Priya, K. ;
- Ashok kumar, L.
- Received : 2014.04.17
- Accepted : 2014.11.12
- Published : 2015.05.01
Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) techniques are increasingly employed for PWM inverter fed induction motor drive. Among various popular PWM methods used, Selective Harmonic Elimination PWM (SHEPWM) has been widely accepted for its better harmonic elimination capability. In addition, using SHEPWM, it is also possible to maintain better voltage regulation. Hence, in this paper, an attempt has been made to apply Bacterial Foraging Algorithm (BFA) for solving selective harmonic elimination problem. The problem of voltage harmonic elimination together with output voltage regulation is drafted as an optimization task and the solution is sought through proposed method. For performance comparison of BFA, the results obtained are compared with other techniques such as derivative based Newton-Raphson method, and Genetic Algorithm. From the comparison, it can be observed that BFA based approach yields better results. Further, it provides superior convergence, reduced computational burden, and guaranteed global optima. The simulation results are validated through experimental findings.
SHEPWM;PWM inverter;Optimization technique;Bacterial Foraging Algorithm (BFA);Newton-Raphson (NR);Genetic Algorithm (GA)
- Reza-Salehi, Behrooz-Vahidi, Naeem-Farokhnia and Mehrdad-Abedi, “Harmonic Elimination and Optimization of Stepped Voltage of Multilevel Inverter by Bacterial Foraging Algorithm”, Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology. Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 545-551, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.4.545
- R. N. Ray, D. chatterjee, S. K. Goswamie, “A Modified Reference Approach for Harmonic Elimination in Pulse-width Modulation Inverter Suitable for Distributed Generations”, Electric Power Components and Systems, Vol. 36, Issue 8, June 2008, pp. 815-827. https://doi.org/10.1080/15325000801911419
- Salim, C., & Toufik, B. M. “Simplified Control Scheme of Unified Power Quality Conditioner based on Three-phase Three-level (NPC) inverter to Mitigate Current Source Harmonics and Compensate All Voltage Disturbances”, Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology. Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 544-558, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.3.544
- H. Patel and R. Hoft, “Generalized techniques of harmonic elimination and voltage control in thyristor inverters: part 2-Voltage control techniques,” in IEEE Trans.on Industry Applications, vol. IA-10, pp. 666-673, Sept/Oct. 1974. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1974.349239
- Holmes DG, Lipo TA. Pulse width modulation for power converters principles and practice. New York: IEEE; 2003.
- F. G. Turnbull, “Selected harmonic reduction in static dc-ac inverters,” IEEE Trans. Commun. Electron., vol. 83, pp. 374-378, 1964. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOME.1964.6541241
- H. Patel and R. Hoft, “Generalized techniques of harmonic elimination and voltage control in thyristor inverters: part 1-Harmonic elimination,” in IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, Vol. IA-9, pp. 310-317, May/June 1973. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1973.349908
- Sundareswaran K, Chandra M. Evolutionary approach for line current harmonic reduction in AC/DC converters. IEEE Trans Ind. Electron 2002; 49(1) : 716-9. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.1005400
- J.A. Asumadu and R.G. Hoft, “Microprocessor based sinusoidal waveform synthesis using Walsh and related orthogonal functions,” in IEEE Trans.on Power Electronics., vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 234-241, April 1989.
- Fred Swift and Adam Kamberis, “A New Walsh Domain Technique of Harmonic Elimination and voltage control in Pulse-Width Modulated Inverters,” in IEEE Trans.on Power Electronics., vol. 8, no. 2, April 1993.
- Tsorng-Juu Lang, Robert M.O’Connell and Richard G.Hoft, “Inverter Harmonic Reduction Using Walsh Function Harmonic Elimination Method,” in IEEE Trans.on Power Electronics., vol. 12, no. 6, November 1997.
- Sundareswaran K, Kumar AP. Voltage harmonic elimination in PWM A.C. Chopper using genetic algorithm. IEE Proc-Electron Power Appl 2004; 151 (1): 26-31. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20040061
- Khaled El-Naggar, Tamer H. Abdelhamid, “Selective harmonic elimination of new family of multilevel inverters using genetic algorithms,” in Energy conversion Management, Vol. 49, Issue 1, pp. 89-95, January 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2007.05.014
- Shen, W., & Maswood, A. I., “A novel current source PWM drive topology with specific harmonic elimination switching”, In: Proceedings of the Canadian conference on electrical and computer engineering, Halifax, Canada, pp. 53-55, 2000.
- Shi, K. L., & Li, H. (2005). Optimized PWM strategy based on genetic algorithms. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 52, pp. 1458-1461, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2005.855649
- A.I. Maswood, S. Wei, M.A. Rahman, A flexible way to generate PWM-SHE switching patterns using genetic algorithm, in: Proc. IEEE Appl. Power Electron. Conf., pp. 1130-1134. 2001.
- M. A. Abido, “Optimal design of power-system stabilizers using particle swarm optimization,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 406-413, Sep. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2002.801992
- K. M. Passino, “Biomimicry of bacterial foraging for distributed optimization and control”, IEEE. Control Syst. Mag., pp. 52-67, Jun. 2002.
- S. Mishra, “A hybrid least square-fuzzy bacterial foraging strategy for harmonic estimation”, IEEE Trans. Evolutionary Computation, vol. 9, pp. 61-73. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEVC.2004.840144
- S. Mishra, and C. N. Bhende “Bacterial Foraging Technique-Based Optimized Active Power Filter for Load Compensation,” IEEE Transactions on power delivery, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 457- 465, January 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2006.876651
- Morteza Eslamian, Seyed Hossein Hosseinian, and Behrooz Vahidi, Bacterial Foraging-based Solution to the Unit-Commitment Problem, IEEE Transactions on power systems, vol. 24, no. 3, August 2009.
- Rajasekar N,Neeraja KK, Rini V,” Bacterialforaging algorithm based solar PV parameter estimation”, Solar Energy, Vol. 97, 255-265, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2013.08.019
- Belwin Edward. J, Rajasekar. N, Sathiyasekar. K, Senthilnathan. N, Sarjila. R, “An enhanced bacterial foraging algorithm approach for optimal power flow problem including FACTS devices considering system loadability”, ISA Trans., Vol. 52, 622-628, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isatra.2013.04.002