- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Space-vector PWM Techniques for a Two-Phase Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Considering a Reduction in Switching Losses
- Lin, Hai (Department of Automation, School of Electronic and Control Engineering, Chang'an University, PRC) ;
- Zhao, Fei (Department of Electronic Systems Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Kwon, Byung-il (Department of Electronic Systems Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2014.03.10
- Accepted : 2014.10.30
- Published : 2015.05.01
Two PWM techniques using space vector pulse-width modulation (SVPWM) are proposed for a two-phase permanent magnet synchronous motor (PMSM) driven by a two-phase eight-switch inverter. A two-phase motor with two symmetric stator windings is usually driven by a two-phase four-, six-, or eight-switch inverter. Compared with a four- and six-switch inverter, a two-phase eight-switch inverter can achieve larger power output. For two-phase motor drives, the SVPWM technique achieves more efficient DC bus voltage utilization and less harmonic distortion of the output voltage. For a two-phase PMSM fed by a two-phase eight-switch inverter under a normal SVPWM scheme, each of the eight PWM trigger signals for the inverter have to be changed twice in a cycle, causing a higher PWM frequency. Based on the normal SVPWM scheme, two effective SVPWM schemes are investigated in order to reduce the PWM frequency by rearranging four comparison values, while achieving the same function as the normal PWM scheme. A detailed explanation of the normal and two proposed SVPWM schemes is illustrated in the paper. The experimental results demonstrate that the proposed schemes achieve a better steady performance with lower switching losses compared with the normal scheme.
Two-phase permanent magnet synchronous motor;Space vector pulse-width modulation;Switching frequency;Two-phase eight-switch inverter
- Patent, US20060244333, “Two-phase brushless DC motor,” Young-Chun Jeung, 2006.
- Patent, US7821221, “Two-phase permanent magnet motor,” Henrik Kragh, 2010.
- Naser M. B. Abdel-Rahim and Adel Shaltout, “An Unsymmetrical Two-Phase Induction Motor Drive with Slip-Frequency Control,” IEEE Trans. on energy conversion., vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 608-616, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2009.2026599
- M. A. Jabbar, A. M. Khambadkone, and Z. Yanfeng, “Space-Vector Modulation in a Two-Phase Induction Motor Drive for Constant-Power Operation”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 517-523, October 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2004.824989
- Jabbar, M.A.; Khambadkone, A.M.; Zhang Yanfeng, “Space-Vector Modulation in a Two-Phase Induction Motor Drive for Constant-Power Operation,” IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electron, vol. 51, no. 47, Oct. 2004.
- D. C. Martins, L. C. Tomaselli, T. B. Lazzarin, and I. Barbi, “Drive for a symmetrical two-phase induction machine using vector modulation,” Inst. Electr. Eng. J. Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 126, no. 7, pp. 835-840, 2006.
- Ziaeinejad, S., Sangsefidi, Y., Nabi, H.P., Shoulaie, A., “Direct Torque Control of Two-Phase Induction and Synchronous Motors,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 4041-4050, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2230409
- D. H. Jang, “PWM methods for two-phase inverters,” IEEE Industry Application Mag., vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 50-61, 2007.
- Do-Hyun Jang and Duck-Yong Yoon, “Space-Vector PWM Technique for Two-Phase Inverter-Fed Two-Phase Induction Motors,” IEEE Trans. on industry application., vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 542-549, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2003.809448
- Kumsuwan, Y., Premrudeepreechacharn, S., Kinnares, V., “A Carrier-Based Unbalanced PWM Method for Four-Leg Voltage Source Inverter Fed Unsymmetrical Two-Phase Induction Motor,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 2031-2041, 2013.
- D. Jang, “Problems incurred in vector controlled single-phase induction motor, and a proposal for a vector controlled two-phase induction motor as a replacement,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 526-536, 2013.
- Dong-Myung Lee, “Advanced Static Over-modulation Scheme using Offset Voltages Injection for Simple Implementation, Less Harmonics,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 138-145, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.1.138
- Chih-Hong Lin, “PMSM Servo Drive for V-Belt Continuously Variable Transmission System Using Hybrid Recurrent Chebyshev NN Control System,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 408-421, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.1.408
- Lei Pan, “A Novel Space Vector modulation Scheme , Direct Torque Control for Four-switch BLDCM Using Flux Observer,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 251-260, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.1.251
- The Comparative Analysis of 2-Phase Inverter Topologies for 2-Phase Induction Motor vol.65, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2016.65.6.1013