- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Field Implementation of Voltage Management System (VMS) into Jeju Power System in Korea
- Shin, Jeonghoon ;
- Nam, Suchul ;
- Song, Jiyoung ;
- Lee, Jaegul ;
- Han, Sangwook ;
- Ko, Baekkyung ;
- An, Yongho ;
- Kim, Taekyun ;
- Lee, Byungjun ;
- Baek, Seungmook
- Received : 2014.09.11
- Accepted : 2014.11.04
- Published : 2015.05.01
This paper presents the results of field tests on Voltage Management System (VMS) using hybrid voltage control, which utilizes coordinated controls of various reactive power resources such as generators, FACTS and switched shunt devices to regulate the pilot bus voltage in a voltage control area. It also includes the results of performance test on RTDS-based test bed in order to validate the VMS before installing it in Jeju power system. The main purpose of the system is adequately to regulate the reactive power reserve of key generators in a normal condition with coordination of discrete shunt devices such as condensers and reactors so that the reserves can avoid voltage collapse in emergency state in Jeju system. Field tests in the automatic mode of VMS operation are included in steady-states and transient states. Finally, by the successful operation of VMS in Jeju power system, the VMS is proved to effectively control system voltage profiles in steady-state condition, increase system MVAR reserves and improve system reliability for pre- and post-contingency.
Voltage Management System (VMS);Reactive power reserve;Coordinated voltage control;Real Time Digital Simulator (RTDS)
- J. P. Paul, J. T. Leost, and J.M. Tesseron, "Survey of the secondary voltage control in France: Present realization and investigations," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. PWRS-2, no. 2, pp. 505-511, May 1987.
- M. D. Ilic, X. Liu, G. Leung, M. Athans, C. Vialas, and P. Pruvot, "Improved secondary and new tertiary voltage control," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1851-1862, Nov. 1995.
- S. Corsi, P. Marannino, N. Losignore, and G. Moreschini, "Coordination between the reactive power scheduling function and the hierarchical voltage control of the EHV ENEL system," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 686-694, May 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.387904
- L. Sancha, L. Fernandez, A. Cortes, and T. Abarca, "Secondary voltage control: Analysis, solution and simulation results for the Spanish transmission system," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 630-638, May 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.496132
- S. Corsi, “The secondary voltage regulation in Italy,” Proc. IEEE/PESSummer Meeting, Seattle, WA, USA, Jul. 16-20, 2000, pp. 296-304.
- S. Corsi, M. Pozzi, C. Sabelli, and A. Serrani, "The coordinated automaticvoltage control of the Italian transmission grid — Part I: Reasons of the choice and overview of the consolidated hierarchical system," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1723-1732, Nov. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2004.836185
- S. Corsi,M. Pozzi, C. Sabelli, and A. Serrani, "The coordinated automatic voltage control of the Italian transmission grid — Part II: Control apparatuses and field performance of the consolidated hierarchical system," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1733-1741, Nov. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2004.836262
- P. Lagonotte, J. C. Sabonnadiere, J. Y. Leost, and J. P. Paul, "Structural analysis of the electrical system: Application to secondary voltage control in France," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 479-486, May 1989, (EDF).
- H. Vu, P. Pruvot, C. Launay, and Y. Harmand, "An improved voltage control on large scale power system," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 1295-1303, Aug. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.535670
- Y. Chen, “Development of automatic slow voltage control for large power system,” Ph.D. dissertation, Washington State Univ., Pullman, WA, USA, 2001.
- S. Baek, S. Nam, J. Song, J. Lee, T. Kim and J. Shin, "Design of Advanced Voltage Management System Including Manual Operation Mode via Real-Time Digital Simulator," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 1817-1826, Jul./Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2257971
- T.K. Kim, Y.H. Choi, S.S. Seo, and B.J. Lee, "A study on voltage and reactive power control methodology using integer programming and local subsystem," Trans. Korean Inst. Elect. Eng. (KIEE), vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 543-550, Apr. 2008.
- S. Seo, Y. Choi, S. Kang, B. Lee, J. Shin, and T. Kim, “Hybrid control system for managing voltage and reactive power in the JEJU power system,” J. Elect. Eng. Technol., vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 429-437, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2009.4.4.429
- Evaluation of Conservation Voltage Reduction with Analytic Hierarchy Process: A Decision Support Framework in Grid Operations Planning vol.9, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/en9121074