- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on a Catenary Impedance Estimation Technique using Boosting Current Compensation Based on Current Division Characteristics of an AT Feeding System
- Jung, Hosung ;
- Kim, Hyungchul ;
- Chang, Sang-Hoon ;
- Kim, Joorak ;
- Min, Myung-Hwan ;
- An, Tae-Pung ;
- Kwon, Sung-Il
- Received : 2014.10.31
- Accepted : 2015.01.26
- Published : 2015.05.01
Generally, an autotransformer(AT) feeding system consists of double tracks, up and down, with the trolley wire and feeder wire of the up and down tracks connected in the sectioning post(SP). Consequently, load current or fault current flows on two tracks based on catenary impedance characteristics, making it difficult to estimate catenary impedance accurately. This paper presents a technique for the estimation of catenary impedance using boosting current compensation based on the current division characteristics of an AT feeding system to improve the operation performance of impedance relay. To verify the technique, we model an AT feeding system through a power analysis program (PSCAD/EMTDC) and simulate various operation and fault conditions. Through the simulation, we confirmed that the proposed technique has estimated catenary impedance with a similar degree of accuracy to the actual catenary impedance
AT feeding system;Boosting current compensation;Current division characteristics;Catenary impedance estimation
- Korea Rail Network Authority, “KR E-02090 protection and insulation coordination”, KR Code 2012, 2014.
- Hosung Jung, “A study on relay setting for AT feeding system protection using PSCAD/EMTDC”, ICEE 2005, pp. A76-A81, 2005.
- Chin-Young Chang, “A Design of Prototype 1C2M Railway Vehicle Propulsion Control System Considering Slip Reduction of Traction Motor”, Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 429-435, 2015 https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.1.429
- Hosung Jung, “A Study on Fault Location Estimation Technique Using the distribution Ratio of Catenary Current in AC Feeding System”, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 404-410, 2011. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2011.14.5.404
- Tevfik Sezi, Frank E. Menter, “Protection Scheme for a New AC Railway Traction Power System”, IEEE Transmission and Distribution Conference vol. 1, pp. 388-393, 1999.
- Siemens, “Numerical Overhead Contact Line Protection for AC Traction Power Supply 7ST6”, 2010
- Gilsoo Jang, “Development of AC/DC Hybrid Simulation for Operator Training Simulator in Railway System”, Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp.52-59, 2014 https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.1.052
- Yong-Hwan Jo, “A Fast Algorithm of the Apparent Factor Calculation for Distance Relay Setting without Fault Analysis”, Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 64-69, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.1.064
- Hosung Jung, “A Study on Real Time Catenary Impedance Estimation Technique using the Synchronized Measuring Data between Substation and Train”, The Transactions of the Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 1458-1464, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2013.62.10.1458
- Hosung Jung, “The Study on Impedance Characteristic Using Current Division in AT Feeding System”, ICEE 2014, 2014.
- Hosung Jung, “A Study on Estimation Method of Short Circuit Impedance for the Zone between SSPSP in AT Feeding System”, KIEE Summer Conference 2014, pp. 1692-1693, 2014.