- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Fabrication Process Variation on Impedance of Neural Probe Microelectrodes
- Cho, Il Hwan ;
- Shin, Hyogeun ;
- Lee, Hyunjoo Jenny ;
- Cho, Il-Joo
- Received : 2014.10.12
- Accepted : 2014.12.02
- Published : 2015.05.01
Effects of fabrication process variations on impedance of microelectrodes integrated on a neural probe were examined through equivalent circuit modeling and SPICE simulation. Process variation and the corresponding range were estimated based on experimental data. The modeling results illustrate that the process variation induced by metal etching process was the dominant factor in impedance variation. We also demonstrate that the effect of process variation is frequency dependent. Another process variation that was examined in this work was the thickness variation induced by deposition process. The modeling results indicate that the effect of thickness variation on impedance is negligible. This work provides a means to predict the variations in impedance values of microelectrodes on neural probe due to different process variations.
Neural probe;Equivalent circuit modeling;Fabrication process variation
- B. Ziaie, A. Baldi, M. Lei, Y. Gu and R. A. Siegel, “Hard and soft micromachining for BioMEMS: review of techniques and examples of applications in microfluidics and drug delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 56, pp.145-172, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addr.2003.09.001
- R. Bhandari, S. Negi, L. Rieth, R. A. Normann and F. Solzbacher, “A novel method of fabricating convoluted shaped electrode arrays for neural and retinal prostheses”, Sensors and Actuators : A Physical. Vol. 145, pp. 123-130, 2008.
- Taikyeong Ted. Jeong, “Specialized sensors and system modeling for safety-critical application,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 9, pp.950-956, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.3.950
- Taikyeong Ted. Jeong, “Optimal design of a novel permanent magnetic actuator using evolutionary strategy algorithm and kriging Meta-model,” Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 9, pp. 471-477, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.2.471
- J. Du, M. L. Roukes and S. C. Masmanidis, “Dual-side and three-dimensional microelectrode arrays fabricated from ultra-thin silicon substrates,” Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol. 9, p.075008, 2009.
- A. R. Adamantidis, F. Zhang, A. M. Aravanis, K. Deisseroth and L.d. Lecea, “Neural substrates of awakening probed with optogenetic control of hypocretin neurons”, Nature, Vol. 450, pp. 420-424, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature06310
- I. J. Cho, H. W. Baac and E. Yoon, “A 16-site neural probe integrated with a waveguide for optical stimulation”, Proc. 23th IEEE MEMS Conference, Hong Kong, pp. 995-998, 2010.
- M. Kindlundh, P. Norlin, U. G. Hofmann, “A neural probe process enabling variable electrode configurations,” Sensors and Actuators B, Vol. 102, pp. 51-58, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2003.10.009
- S. -J. Paik and D. D. Cho, “Development of recording microelectrodes with low surface impedance for neural chip applications,” Journal of the Korean Physical Society, Vol. 41, No. 6, pp. 1046-1049, 2002.
- S. Chen, W. Pei, Q. Gui, R. Tang, Y. Chen, S. Zhao, H. Wang, H. Chen, “PEDOT/MWCNT composite film coated microelectrode arrays for neural interface improvement,” Sensors and Actuators A, Vol. 193, pp. 141-148, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2013.01.033
- D. A. Borkholder, “Cell based biosensors using microelectrodes,” Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University, 1998.
- Y. Son, H. J. Lee, D. Kim, Y. K. Kim, E.-S. Yoon, J. Y. Kang, N. Choi, T. G. Kim and I.-J. Cho, “MEMS neural probe array for multiple-site optical stimulation with low-loss optical waveguide by using thick glass cladding layer,” Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS), 2014 IEEE 27th International Conference on , pp. 853 - 856, 2014.