- Volume 4 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Checkpoint/Resimulation Overhead Minimization with Sporadic Synchronization in Prediction-Based Parallel Logic Simulation
간헐적 동기화를 통한 예측기반 병렬 로직 시뮬레이션에서의 체크포인트/재실행 오버헤드 최소화
- Received : 2014.10.22
- Accepted : 2015.03.18
- Published : 2015.05.31
In general, there are two synchronization methods in parallel event-driven simulation, pessimistic approach and optimistic approach. In this paper, we propose a new approach, sporadic synchronization combining both for prediction-based parallel event-driven logic simulation. We claim this hybrid solution is pretty effective to minimize both checkpoint overhead and restart overhead, which are related problems with frequent false predictions for improving the performance of the prediction-based parallel event-driven logic simulation. The experiment has clearly shown the advantage of the proposed approach.
- R. M. Fujimoto, "Parallel Discrete Event Simulation," Communication of the ACM, Vol.33, No.10, pp.30-53, Oct., 1990.
- D. M. Nicol, "Principles of Conservative Parallel Simulation," Proceedings of the 28th Winter Simulation Conference, pp.128-135, 1996.
- R. M. Fujimoto, "Time Warp on a Shared Memory Multiprocessor," Transactions of the Society for Computer Simulation, Vol.6, No.3, pp.211-239, Jul., 1989.
- L. Li, C. Tropper, "A design-driven partitioning algorithm for distributed Verilog simulation," in Proc. 20th International Workshop on Principles of Advanced and Distributed Simulation (PADS), pp.211-218, 2007.
- D. Chatterjee, A. DeOrio, and V. Bertacco, "Event-driven gate-level simulation with general purpose GPUs," Proceedings of Design Automation Conference (DAC09), pp.557-562, Jun., 2009.
- IUS Simulator Usermanual, Cadence Design Systems [Internet], http://www.cadence.com
- VCS Simulator Usermanual, Synopsys [Internet], http://www.synopsys.com
- K. Chang, C. Browy, "Parallel Logic Simulation: Myth or Reality?", Computer, Vol.45, No.4, pp.67-73, Apr., 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/MC.2011.385
- Jaehoon Han et al., "Predictive parallel event-driven HDL simulation with a new powerful prediction strategy," Proc. of Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference and Exhibition (DATE), pp.1-3, Mar., 2014.
- H. Bauer, C. Sporrer, "Reducing Rollback Overhead in Time Warp Based Distributed Simulation with Optimized Incremental State Saving," Proc. 26th Annual Simulation Symposium, pp.12-20, Mar., 1993.
- James Gross et al., "Multi-Level Parallelism for Time- and Cost-efficient Parallel Discrete-Event Simulation on GPUs," Proc. of 26th ACM/IEEE Workshop on Principles of Advanced and Distributed Simulation 2012 (PADS 2012), Jun., 2012.
- Zhang Yuxuan et al, "Logic simulation acceleration based on GPU," Proc. of the 18th International Conference on Mixed Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems (MIXDES 2011), pp.608-613, Jun., 2011.
- Wenjie Tang, Yiping Yao, "A GPU-based discrete event simulation kernel," Journal of Simulation, Vol.89, No.11, pp.1335-1354, Nov., 2013. https://doi.org/10.1177/0037549713508839