- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Relationship between Cultural Competence and Empathy of Nursing Students
일 간호대학생의 문화적 역량과 공감능력과의 관계
- Bae, Yeong Suk (Christian College of Nursing)
- 배영숙 (기독간호대학교)
- Received : 2015.03.27
- Accepted : 2015.05.22
- Published : 2015.05.31
Purpose: This study investigated the relationship between cultural competence and empathy of nursing students who can provide appropriate health care to their patients in the future. Methods: All the participants (N=364) were nursing students and completed a survey of the Caffrey Cultural Competence in Health Scale (CCCHS), Cultural Competence Assessment (CCA), and Interpersonal Reactions Index (IRI). Results: The mean of cultural competence and empathy of participants were 2.8 and 3.7, respectively. The cultural competence score in male students was higher than the score of female students (p=.044). In addition, the cultural competence score of nursing students who had an experience with foreigners was higher than the score of students who had not (p=.017). However, the cultural competence score of nursing students who did not take a multicultural education was higher than the score of students who took it. The empathy score of female students was higher than the score of male students (p=.003). The empathy score of students who had a multicultural education was higher than the score of students who did not take it (p=.008). Conclusion: The findings suggest that nursing students need to enhance cultural competence and empathy.
Supported by : 기독간호대학교
- Caffrey, R. A., Neander, W., Markle, D., & Stewart, B. (2005). Improving the cultural competence of nursing students: Results of integrating cultural content in the curriculum and an international immersion experience. Journal of Nursing Education, 44(5), 234-240.
- Campinha-Bacote, J. (1999). A model and instrument for addressing cultural competence in health care. The Journal of Nursing Education, 38(5), 203-207.
- Casillas, A., Paroz, S., Green, A., Wolff, H., Weber, O., Faucherre, F., et al. (2014). Cultural competency of health-care providers in a Swiss University Hospital: self-assessed cross-cultural skillfulness in a cross-sectional study. BMC Medical Education, 14,19. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-14-19
- Chae, D. H., Park, Y. H., Kang, K. H., & Lee, T. H. (2012). A study on factors affecting cultural competency of general hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 18(1), 76-86. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.76
- Choi, H. J. (2011). Exploratory study on experience in multiculture and cultural competence of service providers in multicultural settings. Mental Health & Social Work, 37, 405-439.
- Choi, S. S., Yun, H. K., & Choi, G. Y. (2012). Factors affecting use satisfacton of medical institutions on korean society adaptation of the multicultural families' woman. Journal of the Korea Academia- Industrial cooperation Society, 13(12), 5875-5881. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5875 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.12.5875
- Constantine, M. G. (2000). Social desirability attitudes, sex, and affective and cognitive empathy as predictors of self-reported multucultural counseling competence. The counseling Psychologist, 28, 857-887. https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000000286008
- Cross, T. L., Barzon, B., Dennis, K. W., & Issacs, M. R. (1989). Towards a culturally competent system of care, Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University Child Development Center.
- Davis. (1980). A multidimensional approach to individual differences in empathy. JSAS Cataog of Selected Documents in Psychology, 10, 85.
- Davis. (1994). Empathy : A social psychological approach. Madison, WI : Brown & Benchmark.
- Ekblad, S., Marttila, A., & Emilsson, M. (2000). Cultural challenges in end-of-life care: reflections from focus groups' interviews with hospice staff in Stockholm. Journal of advanced nursing, 31(3), 623-630. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01318.x
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A, & Buchner, A. (2007). G*Power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods, 39(2), 175-191. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- International Council of Nurses. (2013). Cultural and linguistic competence. Web site: http://www.icn.ch/images/stories/documents/publications/position_statements/B03_Cultural_Linguistic_Competence.pdf
- Jeffrey, C. L. (2008). Empathy and competence. The Medical Journal of Australia. 188(7), 414-416.
- Jeon, B. S. (2003). The relationship between empathy and altruistic behavior. Unpublished master's thesis. Chungnam National University, Daejon.
- Jung, M. S. (2009). Current status and problems of healthcare-related multi-cultural policy in Korea from nursing's point of view. Perspectives in Nursing Sciences, 6, 1-20.
- Kim, C. M., Park, M. S., & Kim, E. M. (2011). Married immigrant women's utilization of health care and needs of health services. The Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 22(3), 333-341. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.3.333
- Kim, D. H., & Kim, S. E. (2013). Cultural competency and factors influencing cultural competence in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy psychiatry mental health nursing, 22(3), 159-168. http://dx.doi.org/10.12934.jkpmhn.2013.22.3.159 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.3.159
- Kim, Y. J., Lee, J. Y., & Cho, S. H. (2011). An explorative study of perceived cultural competency of medial social workers in Korea, Health and Social Welfare Review, 31(3), 251-283. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2011.31.3.251
- Koh, C. K., & Koh, S. K. (2009). Married female migrant's experiences of health care services. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 15(1), 89-99. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.1.089
- Lee, J. I. (2012). Study on relationship between cultural competency and empathy of nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Hallym University, Kangwon.
- Lee, J. Y., Lee, H. K., Kim, S., & Jang, Y. S. (2014). Comparison of perceived nurses' cultural competence of nurses and foreign patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 20(3), 267-278. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2014.20.3.267
- Min, S. H., & Lee, M. Y. (2009). A Exploratory study about the cultural competence of university students- focused on the cultural awareness. Journal of adolescent welfare, 11(1), 183-206.
- Ministry of Public Administration and Security [MOPAS], (2014, July). The current number of foreign residents in Korea is 3.1% of total residents in Korea. Retrieved July 2, 2014, from Web site: http://www.mogaha.go.kr/frt/bbs/type010/commonSelectBoardArticle.do?bbsld=BBSMSTR_000000000008&nttld=42487
- National Institutes of Health, NIH. (2014). Clear Communication, Cultural Competency. Web site: http://www.nih.gov/clearcommunication/culturalcompetency.htm
- Oh, W. O. (2011). Factors influencing cultural sensitivity among nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 17(4), 222-229. http://dx.doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.4.222 https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.4.222
- Park, J. S. (2011). Study on cultural competency of nurses working in general hospital. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Peek, E. H., & Park, C. S. (2013). Effects of a multicultural education program on the cultural competence, empathy and self-efficacy of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 43(5), 690-696. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.690
- Schim, S., Doorenbos, A., Miller, J., & Benkert, R. (2003). Development of a cultural competence assessment instrument. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 11(1), 29-40. https://doi.org/10.1891/jnum.220.127.116.11062
- Yang, S. Y., Lim, H. N., & Lee, J. H. (2013). The study on relationship between cultural competency and empathy of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 19(2), 183-193. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.183 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.183
- Empathic Ability and Communication Ability according to Myers-Briggs Type Indicator(MBTI) Personality Type in Nursing Students vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.303
- Cultural Competence and Influencing Factors of Dental Hygiene Students vol.17, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.3.242