- Volume 1 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Implementation of Tile Searching and Indexing Management Algorithms for Mobile GIS Performance Enhancement
- Lee, Kang-Won (Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Choi, Jin-Young (Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering, Korea University)
- Received : 2015.12.07
- Published : 2015.12.30
The mobile and ubiquitous environment is experiencing a rapid development of information and communications technology as it provides an ever increasing flow of information. Particularly, GIS is now widely applied in daily life due to its high accuracy and functionality. GIS information is utilized through the tiling method, which divides and manages large-scale map information. The tiling method manages map information and additional information to allow overlay, so as to facilitate quick access to tiled data. Unlike past studies, this paper proposes a new architecture and algorithms for tile searching and indexing management to optimize map information and additional information for GIS mobile applications. Since this involves the processing of large-scale information and continuous information changes, information is clustered for rapid processing. In addition, data size is minimized to overcome the constrained performance associated with mobile devices. Our system has been implemented in actual services, leading to a twofold increase in performance in terms of processing speed and mobile bandwidth.
- Bin Jiang, Xiaobai Yao, "Location Based Services and GIS in Perspective," Location Based Services and TeleCartography, Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography, Section I, pp.27-45, 2007.
- Carl-Fredrik Sorensen, Alf Inge Wang, Reidar Conradi, "Support of Smart Work Processes in Context Rich Environments," International Federation for Information Processing(IFIP), 191, pp.15-30, 2005.
- Daoxun Xia, Xiaoyao Xie, Yang Xu, "Web GIS server solutions using open-source software," Open-source Software for Scientific Computation (OSSC), 2009 IEEE International Workshop on IEEE Conferences, pp.135-138, 2009.
- Tim Verbelen, Raf Hens, Tim Stevens, Filip De Turck, Bart Dhoedt. "Adaptive Online Deployment for Resource Constrained Mobile Smart Clients," Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social-Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, MobileWireless Middleware, Operating Systems, and Applications, Part 3, vol.48, pp.115-128, 2010.
- Zao Liu,Pierce, M E,Fox G C, Devadasan, N."Implementing a caching and tiling map server: a Web 2.0 case study," Collaborative Technologies and Systems, pp.247-256, May, 2007.
- Yiming Liu, Erik Wilde. Scalable and Mashable, "Location-Oriented Web Services," Web Engineering Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol.6189, pp.307-321, 2010.
- Wu Kehe, Bai Xuewei and Wang Xiaohui, "Power Web GIS Based on Oracle MapViewer," Internet Technology and Applications, 2010 International Conference on IEEE Conferences, pp.14, 2010.
- Quan Sh,i Hengshan Wang, Hui Wang, Jianping Chen, "Design of WebGIS Rendering Engine Based on Silverlight-based RIA," Intelligent Computation Technology and Automation (ICICTA), 2011 International Conference on IEEE Conferences, vol.1, pp.1050-1053, 2011.
- Hoseok Ryu, Insuk Park, Soon J Hyun, Dongman Lee, "A Task Decomposition Scheme for Context Aggregation in Personal Smart Space," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol.4761, pp.20-29, 2007.
- Rene Meier, Anthony Harrington, Thomas Termin, Vinny Cahill, "A Spatial Programming Model for Real Global Smart Space Applications," Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol.4025, pp.16-31, 2006.
- Shah Rukh Humayoun, Tiziana Catarci, Massimiliano de Leoni, Andrea Marrella, Massimo Mecella, Manfred Bortenschlager, Renate Steinmann, "Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction. Applications and Services," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol.5616, pp.343-352, 2009.