- Volume 24 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Exposure Assessments of Chemical Risk Factors to Airborne Contaminants in Foundry Process
주물사업장 내 공기중 화학적 유해인자 노출 평가
- Bae, Hye-Jeong (Institute for Industrial Health, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Nam, Mi-Ran (Institute for Industrial Health, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Man (IESH-Solution CO. Ltd.) ;
- Jung, Yu-Jin (C.E.Tech Co. Ltd., R&D Center) ;
- Shon, Byung-Hyun (Dept. of Environmental Engineering, Hanseo University) ;
- Phee, Young-Gyu (Faculty of Health Science, Daegu Haany University) ;
- Jung, Jong-Hyeon (Faculty of Health Science, Daegu Haany University)
- 배혜정 (대구한의대학교 산업보건연구소) ;
- 남미란 (대구한의대학교 산업보건연구소) ;
- 이상만 ((주)IESH 솔루션) ;
- 정유진 (씨이테크(주) 연구개발센터) ;
- 손병현 (한서대학교 환경공학과) ;
- 피영규 (대구한의대학교 보건학부) ;
- 정종현 (대구한의대학교 보건학부)
- Received : 2015.03.12
- Accepted : 2015.05.18
- Published : 2015.05.30
This study was performed to identify the state of the exposure and characteristics of pollutants by each process at 4 casting sites located in Gyeongsang-do from April to November 2013. The concentrations of methanol, crystallized silica glass, formaldehyde and phenol were analyzed by different process - casting process, molding process, core process, and shakeout & finishing process. The highest concentration of methanol was found in casting and molding process, whereas the highest concentration of crystalline quartz(Silica) was observed in core process. The most oxidized steel dusts and the highest concentration of fume were found in shakeout & finishing process. As a result of this study, those labors working at the casting site were found to be constantly exposed to various forms of hazardous chemicals; therefore, it is considered that this is the time to manage and plan how to reduce them. In addition, it is required to thoroughly manage the local exhauster, and improve the process and working environment to reduce various forms of hazardous chemicals.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists(ACGIH), 2001, Industrial Ventilation Manual of Recommended Practice, 24th Edition.
- Alpaugh, E. L., 1988, Particulates in Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene, 3rd ed, by Plog B. A., Chicago, Illinois, National Safety Council, 128.
- Burgess, W., 1995, A Foundry Operation in Recognition of health hazards in industry, 2th ed, Wiley J & Sons, Canada, 106-139.
- Chen, J., McLaughlin, J. K., Zhang, J. Y., Stone, B. J., Luo, J., Chen, R. A., Dosemeci, M., Rexing, S. H., Wu, Z., Hearl, F. J., McCawley, M. A., Blot, W. J., 1992, Mortality among Dust exposed Chinese Mine and Potter Workers, J. Occup. Med., 34(3):311-316. https://doi.org/10.1097/00043764-199203000-00017
- Cooper, T. C., Gressel, M. G., Froehlich, P. A., Caplan, P. E., Mickelsen, R. L., Valiante, D., Bost, P., 1993, Successful Reduction of Silica Exposure at Sanitary Ware Pottery, Am. Ind., Hyg. Assoc. j., 54(10) 600-606. https://doi.org/10.1080/15298669391355116
- Environmental Protection Agency(EPA), 1999, Compendium Method TO-11A: Determination of formaldehyde in ambient air using adsorbent cartridge followed by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC).
- Gomes, J., Lloyd, O. L., Norman, N. J., Pahwa, P., 2001, Dust exposure and impairment of lung function at a small iron foundry in a rapidly developing country, Occup Environ Med, 58, 656-662. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.58.10.656
- Guenther, A., Hewitt, C. N., Erickson, D., Fall, R., Geron, C., Graedel, T., Harley, P., Klinger, L., Lerdau, M., McKay, W. A., Pierce, T., Scholes, B., Steinbrecher, R., Tallamraju, R., Taylor, J., Zimmerman, P., 1995, A global model of natural volatile organic compound emissions, Journal of Geophysical Research, 8873-8892.
- Harley, R. A., Cass, G. R., 1995, Modeling the atmospheric concentrations of individual volatile organic compounds, Atmos. Environ, 29, 905-922. https://doi.org/10.1016/1352-2310(94)00287-U
- Jung, J. H., Lee, S. W., Lee, S. M., Shon, B. H., Lee, J. H., Jung, Y. J., 2013, Improvement of capturing velocity in the fume hood using Computational Fluid Dynamics(I) - uniform flow, The Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 14(2), 9621-969.
- Jung, Y. J., Park, K. W., Shon, B. H., Jung, J. H., 2013a, A numerical study on performance improvement of rnclosed hood in reverberatory furnace, Journal of the Korean Siciety of Urban Environment, 13(3), 235-242.
- Jung, Y. J., Shon, B. H., Lee, S. M., Jung, J. H., 2013b, A Numerical Study on Performance Improvement of Canopy Hood in Melting Process, The Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 14(3), 1519-1526. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1519
- Kang, L. W., 2007, The New Casting Engineering, Bo Sung Gak Publishing company.
- Kim, M. R., Lee, K. R., Park, D. G., Jang, J. K., 2003, Phenol occurrence characteristics due to the use of chemical company in the casting process, Korea Solid Wastes Engineering Society, 11, 172-175.
- Ministry of Employment and Labor(MoEL), 2012, Occupational exposure limits for chemical and physical agents, MoEL Notification No. 2012-31.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), 2003, NIOSH manual of analytical methods : No 2016 [cited 2014 May 26]; Available at http://www.cdc.gov/niosh
- Park, H. S., 2007, Morphological Property and Size Distribution of Dust Particles Emitted from Iron Casting Processes, Environmental Societies Joint conference, 124.
- Park, J. S., 2006, Development and Field Installation of a System of Simultaneously Removing Dust and Volatile Organic Compounds from Furan Process in Foundry, Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 44(2), 136-148.
- Park, R. M., Ahn, Y. S., Stayner, L. T., Kang, S. K., Jang, J. K., 2005, Mortality of iron and steel workers in Korea, Am J Ind Med, 48:194-204. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.20197
- Perrault, G., Dion, C., Ostiguy, C., Michaud, D., Baril, M., 1992, Selective sampling and chemical speciation of airborne dust in ferrous foundries, Am Ind Hye Assoc J, 53(7):463-470. https://doi.org/10.1080/15298669291359951
- Phee, Y. G., Poh, Y. M., Lee, K. M., Kim, H. A., Kim, Y. W., Won, J. I., Kim, H. W., 1997, Analysis or quartz content and particle size distribution of airborne dust from selected foundry operations, Korean Ind. Hyg. Assoc. J, 7(2):196-208.
- Sohn, J. Y., Yoon, D. W., 1995, Characteristics and Control of Volatile Organic Compounds in Indoor Air Environment, Korean Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering, 24(1), 44-55.
- World Health Organization(WHO), 2002, Europe exposure assessmentin studies on the chronic effectsoflong-term exposuretoairpollution.
- Zhang, M., Qi, C., Chen, W. H., Lu, Y., Du, X. Y., Li, W. J., Meng, C. S., 2010, Re-analysis of occupational hazards in foundry. Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi. Apr;28(4), 280-5.
- Characteristics of Size Distribution and Fugitive Emissions of Particulate Matter in Foundries vol.26, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15269/JKSOEH.2016.26.1.30