- Volume 24 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Study on The Use of Teaching Area's Courtyard Space : Results from a Survey of Universities in Tai' an
- Zhang, Xin-Peng (College of Horticultural Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Wang, Wen-Li (College of Horticultural Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Piao, Yong-Ji (College of Horticultural Science and Engineering, Shandong Agricultural University) ;
- Cho, Tae-Dong (Department of Environmental Landscape Architecture, Gangneung-Wonju National University)
- Received : 2015.03.05
- Accepted : 2015.04.12
- Published : 2015.05.30
Based on the survey of 4 universities in Tai' an by questionnaire survey and interviews, this study acquired and analyzed the college student users' activity type, utilization frequency, retention time, companion, preference for landscape design style, the importance of the courtyard space's environment and landscape, as well as correlations between primary attributes and activity characteristics of student users. The weight of the university teaching area's courtyard space evaluation index was obtained by Analytical Hierarchy Process. The results indicated that nearly 60% college students select to study and to rest alone as the main activity type, 80% students' utilization frequency is at least two times or more a week. In addition, the relative weight of plant landscape is the highest in the 2nd class indexes of space garden landscape, and its value is 0.113; the relative weight of cleanliness is the highest in the 3rd class indexes of space environment quality, and its value is 0.143. Therefore, it should be attached much importance to constructing the environment and landscape for studying and relaxing, and the factors of cleanliness and plant landscape etc in the further design of courtyard space are taken into full consideration.
- Chow, H. P. H., 2007, Psychological well-being and scholastic achievement among university students in a Canadian prairie city, Social Psychology of Education, 10, 483-493. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11218-007-9026-y
- Dober, R. P., 2000, Campus landscape, New York, John Wiley &Sons, Inc.
- Dai, F., Zhang, J. H., 2008, The survey methods in planning and design (1)-Questionnaire survey (Theory part), Chinese landscape architecture, 10, 82-87. (in Chinese)
- Dyment, J. E., Bell, A. C., 2008, Grounds for movement: green school grounds as sites for promoting physical activity, Health Education Research, 23(6), 952-962. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cym059
- Gordon, C., 1961, Townscape, London, Architectural Press.
- Haynes, C., Trexler, C. J., 2003, The perceptions and needs of volunteers at a university-affiliated public garden, Hort Technology, 13(3), 552-556.
- Luranraison., 1985, External space design (Translated by Yin P. T.), Beijing, China Architecture & Building Press.(in Chinese)
- Li, W. F., 2004, Design of the courtyard space in colleges, Beijing, Beijing Forestry University. (in Chinese)
- Liu, M., Xia, X. D., 2009, The applications of courtyard association space to the campus district, Environmental Architecture, 2(6), 71-74.(in Chinese)
- Liu, Y. D., 1996, Building external environment design. Beijing, China Architecture & Building Press.(in Chinese).
- Marcus, C. C., Francis, C., 1997, People places: Design guidelines for urban open space, NewYork, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Matsuoka, R. H., 2010, Student performance and high school landscapes: Examining the links, Landscape and Urban Planning, 97(4), 273-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2010.06.011
- Nielsen, T. S., Hansen, K. B., 2006, Nearby nature and green areas encourage outdoor activities and decrease mental stress, Nutrition and Natural Resources, 1, 59.
- Peng, D. T., 2011, Research on the POE of Chenggong campus landscape of Kunming University of Science and Technology, Kunming, Kunming University of Science and Technology.(in Chinese)
- Qi, J., 2004, Research on associations pace of teaching area in contemporary university, Changsha, Hunan University.(in Chinese)
- Saaty, T. L., 2008, Decision making with the analytic hierarchy process, International journal of services sciences, 1(1), 83-98. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJSSCI.2008.017590
- Schipperijn, J., Ekholm, O., Stigsdotter, U. K., Toftagerb, M., Bentsena, P., Kamper-Jorgensenb, F., Randrup, T. B., 2010, Factors influencing the use of green space: Results from a Danish national representative survey. Landscape and urban planning, 95(3), 130-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2009.12.010
- Zhou, Y. H., Song, Z. F., 1994, University campus planning and architecture design, Beijing, China Architecture & Building Press.(in Chinese)