- Volume 24 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Atmospheric Characteristics of Fog Incidents at the Nakdong River : Case Study in Gangjeong-Goryeong Weir
낙동강 유역 안개 발생시 기상 특성: 강정고령보 사례를 중심으로
- Park, Jun Sang ;
- Lim, Yun-Kyu ;
- Kim, Kyu Rang ;
- Cho, Changbum ;
- Jang, Jun Yeong ;
- Kang, Misun ;
- Kim, Baek-Jo
- Received : 2015.01.06
- Accepted : 2015.03.20
- Published : 2015.05.30
Visibility and Automatic Weather System(AWS) data near Nakdong river were analyzed to characterize fog formation during 2012-2013. The temperature was lower than its nearby city - Daegu, whereas the humidity was higher than the city. 157 fog events were observed in total during the 2 year period. About 65% of the events occurred in fall (September, October, and November) followed by winter, summer, and spring. 94 early morning fog events of longer than 30 minutes occurred when south westerly wind speed was lower than 2 m/s. During these events, the water temperature was highest followed by soil surface and air temperatures due to the advection of cold and humid air from nearby hill. The observed fog events were categorized using a fog-type classification algorithm, which used surface cooling, wind speed threshold, rate of change of air temperature and dew point temperature. As a result, frontal fog observed 6 times, radiation 4, advection 13, and evaporation 66. The evaporation fog in the study area lasted longer than other reports. It is due to the interactions of cold air drainage flow and warm surface in addition to the evaporation from the water surface. In particular, more than 60% of the evaporation fog events were accompanied with cold air flows over the wet and warm surface. Therefore, it is needed for the identification of the inland fog mechanism to evaluate the impacts of nearby topography and land cover as well as water body.
Evaporation fog;Fog mechanism;Weir
- Ahn, J. H., Yoo, C. S., Kim, H. Y., Yoon, Y. N., 2004, An evaluation technique on the hydrometeorologic changes due to dam construction, Proceedings of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers Conferences, 2150-2155.
- Arya, P. A., 2001, Introduction to Micrometeorology, 2d ed., Academic Press, California, 415.
- Baars, J. A., Witiw, M., Al-Habash, A., Ramaprasad, J., 2002, Determining fog type in the Los Angeles basin using historic surface observation data, Proceeding of the 16th Conference on probability and Statistics in the Atmospheric Sciences, American Meteorological Society, Boston, J104-J107.
- George, J. J., 1960, Weather forecasting for aeronautics, Academic press, New York, 667.
- Heo, K. Y., Ha, K. J., 2004, Classification of synoptic pattern associated with coastal fog around the korean peninsula, Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 40(5), 541-556.
- Hong, S. G., 1982, Increase of the fogs in Andong due to the construction of Andong reservoir, Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 18(2), 26-32.
- Jeon, B. I., Kim, I. G., Lee, Y. M., 2002, A change of local meteorological environment according to dam construction of Nakdong-river - 1. Meteorological data analysis before and after dam construction, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 11(3), 161-168. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2002.11.3.161
- Jeon, B. I., Lee, Y. M., 2002, A change of local meteorological environment according to dam construction of Nakdong-river - 2. Estimation using numerical model, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 11(4), 281-288. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2002.11.4.281
- KoROAD, 2013, Factor analysis of traffic accidents, Report 2013-54, The road traffic authority, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, C. B., Bong, J. H., Cho, H. M., 1990, Aspects of local climatic change due to dam construction, Journal of Atmospheric Research, 7(1), 75-81.
- Lee, H. W., Lee, K. O., Baek, S. J., Kim, D. H., 2005, Analysis of meteorological features and prediction probability associated with the fog occurrence at Chuncheon, Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 21(3), 303-313.
- Lee, K. M., Suh, M. S., 2011, A study on the characteristics of fog and development of prediction technique in the Chung-Cheong area, Journal of Climate Research, 6(3), 200-218.
- Lee, S. Y., Kang, D. H., Kim, J. G., Kim, Y. J., Choi, H. G., Lee, J. W., 2014, Analysis of environmental characteristics for the Greenhouse complex on reclaimed land, Proceeding of the Korean Society of the Agricultural machinery conferences, 19(1), 262-263.
- Lee, Y. H., Won, D. J., Kim, K. E., Min, K. D., 2000, The role of turbulence in numerical model on the sea fog over the Yellow sea, Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 36(6), 643-654.
- Leem, H. H., Lee, H. W., Lee, S. H., 2005, The analysis of the characteristics of the fog generated at the Incheon int'l airport, Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 41(6), 1111-1123.
- Mun, S. H., Lee, S. H., 2013, A study on the change of fog frequency and duration hours in south korea, Journal of Climate Research, 8(2), 93-104. https://doi.org/10.14383/cri.2013.8.2.93
- Nam, J. C., Shin, M. Y., Yun, J. I., 1995, Discrimination of fog events around artificial lakes in Andong based on hourly meteorological data, Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 31(4), 393-398.
- Roach, W. T., 1995a, Back to basics: Fog: Part 2 - The formation and dissipation of land fog, Weather, 50(1), 7-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1477-8696.1995.tb06053.x
- Roach, W. T., 1995b, Back to basics: Fog: Part 3 - The formation and dissipation of sea fog, Weather, 50(1), 80-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1477-8696.1995.tb05510.x
- Sachweh, M., Koepke, P., 1995, Radiation fog and urban climate, Geophysical Research Letters, 22(9), 1073-1076. https://doi.org/10.1029/95GL00907
- Sachweh, M., Koepke, P., 1997, Fog dynamics in an urbanized area, Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 58(1-2), 87-93. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00867435
- Stewart, D. A., 1984, Trends of wind speed in fog, Archives for Meteorology, Geophysics, and Bioclimatology, Series B, 34(3), 287-298. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02265494
- Tardiff, R., Rasmussen, R. M., 2007, Event-based climatology and typology of fog in the New York City region, Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 46(8), 1141-1168. https://doi.org/10.1175/JAM2516.1
- Taylor, G. I., 1917, The formation of fog and mist, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 43(183), 241-268.
- Willett, H. C., 1928, Fog and haze, their causes, distribution, and forecasting, Monthly Weather Review, 56, 435-468. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1928)56<435:FAHTCD>2.0.CO;2
- Won, D. J., Kim, S. Y., Kim K. E., Min, K. D., 2000, Analysis of meteorological and oceanographic characteristics on the sea fog over the Yellow sea, Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 36, 631-642.
- Yi, C. Y., Kim, K. R., Choi, Y. J., Won, H. Y., Dieter, S., 2012, Nocturnal surface cooling and cold air transport analysis based on high density observation - A case study of Eunpyeong new town in Seoul, Journal of the Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies, 15(4), 124-137. https://doi.org/10.11108/kagis.2012.15.4.124
- On the Steam Fog in the Gumi Reservoir of Nakdong River vol.25, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2016.25.1.163
Supported by : 국립기상과학원