- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A study on automation of modal analysis of a spindle system of machine tools using ANSYS
ANSYS를 활용한 공작기계 주축 시스템의 진동 모드 해석 자동화에 관한 연구
- Received : 2015.03.20
- Accepted : 2015.04.09
- Published : 2015.04.30
An analytical model was developed in this study and then implemented into a tool for automation of FEA (Finite Element Analysis) of a spindle system for natural frequencies and modes in the universal FEA software, ANSYS. VBA of EXCEL was used for the implementation. It allowed graphic user interfaces (GUIs) to be developed for a user to interact with the tool and, in addition, an EXCEL spreadsheet to be used for data arrangement. A code was developed in the language of ANSYS to generate the geometric model of the spindle system, sequentially to construct the analytical model based on the information in the GUIs, and finally to perform computation for the FEA. Its automation of the model generation and analysis can help to identify a near optimal design of the spindle system under design in minimum time and efforts.
Analytical model;ANSYS;EXCEL;Finite element analysis;Spindle system design;Tool development
- M. Weck, Handbook of Machine Tools, Vol. 1 (English translation), Ch. 1-3, John Wiley, New York, 1984.
- E. Abele, Y. Altintas, C. Brecher, "Machine tool spindle units", CIRP, Vol. 59, pp. 781-802, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2010.05.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2010.05.002
- S. C. Jung, K. W. Kim, "A study on Finite Element Analysis of Tool Deformation in End Milling, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 83-86, 2005.
- J. K. Lee, "Evaluation of the Influence of Blast Vibration on Machine Tool Accuracy", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 8, pp. 4790-4795, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.4790 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.4790
- C. H. Lee, J. W. Choi, "Evaluation of Thermal Characteristics of a Direct-Connection Spindle Using Finite Element Co-Analysis", Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Technology Engineers, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 228-234. 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7735/ksmte.2013.22.2.228 https://doi.org/10.7735/ksmte.2013.22.2.228
- G. Swartzfager, R. Chandak, S. Alvarez, Visual Basic 6 Object-Oriented Programming, Coriolis Group Books, 1998.
- Microsoft Office Professional, EXCEL Documentation, Microsoft, 2010.
- ANSYS Mechanical V14.5, ANSYS V14.5 Documentation, SAS IP, Inc., 2012.