- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Simulating the construction process of steel-concrete composite bridges
- Wu, Jie (Department of Building Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Frangopol, Dan M. (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, ATLSS Engineering Research Center, Lehigh University) ;
- Soliman, Mohamed (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, ATLSS Engineering Research Center, Lehigh University)
- Received : 2014.05.14
- Accepted : 2014.11.15
- Published : 2015.05.25
This paper presents a master-slave constraint method, which may substitute the conventional transformed-section method, to account for the changes in cross-sectional properties of composite members during construction and to investigate the time-dependent performance of steel-concrete composite bridges. The time-dependent effects caused by creep and shrinkage of concrete are considered by combining the age-adjusted effective modulus method and finite element analysis. An efficient computational tool which runs in AutoCAD environment is developed to simulate the construction process of steel-concrete composite bridges. The major highlight of the developed tool consists in a very convenient and user-friendly interface integrated in AutoCAD environment. The accuracy of the proposed method is verified by comparing its results with those provided by using the transformed-section method. Furthermore, the computational efficiency of the developed tool is demonstrated by applying it to a steel-concrete composite bridge.
- ABAQUS (2010), ABAQUS Analysis user's manual (version 6.10); Dassault Systemes Simulia Corp., Providence, RI, USA.
- Amadio, C. and Fragiacomo, M. (1997), "Simplified approach to evaluate creep and shrinkage effects in steel-concrete composite beams", J. Struct. Eng., 123(5), 1153-1162. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:9(1153)
- Amadio, C., Fragiacomo, M. and Macorini, L. (2012), "Evaluation of the deflection of steel-concrete composite beams at serviceability limit state", J. Construct. Steel Res., 73, 95-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.01.009
- ANSYS (2012), ANSYS Mechanical user guide (version 14.5); ANSYS Inc., Canonsburg, PA, USA.
- Bazant, Z.P. (1072), "Prediction of concrete creep effects using age-adjusted effective modulus method", ACI J., 69, 212-217.
- Bazant, Z.P. (1988), Mathematical Modeling of Creep and Shrinkage of Concrete, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., New York, NY, USA.
- Bazant, Z.P. (1995), "Creep and shrinkage prediction model for analysis and design of concrete structures-Model B3", Mater. Struct., 28(6), 357-365. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02473152
- Bazant, Z.P. (2001), "Prediction of concrete creep and shrinkage: past, present and future", Nucl. Eng. Des., 203(1), 27-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(00)00299-5
- CEB-FIP (1990), CEB-FIP model code 1990: Design code 1994; Thomas Telford, London, UK.
- Dezi, L. and Gara, F. (2006), "Construction sequence modelling of continuous steel-concrete composite bridge decks", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 6(2), 123-138. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2006.6.2.123
- Duff, I.S., Erisman, A.M. and Reid, J.K. (1986), Direct Methods for Sparse Matrices, Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK.
- Erkmen, R.E. and Saleh, A. (2012), "Eccentricity effects in finite element modelling of composite beams", Adv. Eng. Software, 52, 55-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2012.06.004
- Erkmen, R.E., Bradford, M.A. and Crews, K. (2012), "Variational multiscale approach to enforce perfect bond in multiple-point constraint applications when forming composite beams", Computat. Mech., 49(5), 617-628. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00466-011-0667-5
- Eurocode 4 (2005), Design of composite steel and concrete structures - Part 2: Rules for bridges; EN1994-2:2005, Brussels, Belgium.
- Fragiacomo, M., Amadio, C. and Macorini, L. (2004), "Finite-element model for collapse and long-term analysis of steel-concrete composite beams", J. Struct. Eng., 130(3), 489-497. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:3(489)
- Gardner, N.J. and Lockman, M.J. (2001), "Design provisions for drying shrinkage and creep and normal-strength concrete", ACI Mater. J., 98(2), 159-167.
- Gilbert, R.I. (1989), "Time-dependent analysis of composite steel-concrete sections", J. Struct. Eng., 115(11), 2687-2705. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1989)115:11(2687)
- Gilbert, R.I. and Bradford, M.A. (1995), "Time-dependent behavior of continuous composite beams at service loads", J. Struct. Eng., 121(2), 319-327. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:2(319)
- Gupta, A.K. and Paul, S.M. (1977), "Error in eccentric beam formulation", Int. J. Numer. Method. Eng., 11(9), 1473-1483. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620110910
- Jelenic, G. and Crisfield, M.A. (1986), "Non-linear master-slave relationships for joints in 3D beams with large rotations", Comput. Method. Appl. Mech. Eng., 135(3-4), 211-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7825(96)01017-1
- Jurkiewiez, B., Buzon, S. and Sieffert, J.G. (2005), "Incremental viscoelastic analysis of composite beams with partial interaction", Comput. Struct., 83(21-22), 1780-1791. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2005.02.021
- Kwak, H.G., Seo, Y.J. and Jung, C.M. (2000), "Effects of the slab casting sequences and the drying shrinkage of concrete slabs on the short-term and long-term behavior of composite steel box girder bridges", Eng. Struct., 23(11), 1453-1480. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00048-7
- Lin, B.Z., Chuang, M.C. and Tsai, K.C. (2009), "Object-oriented development and application of a nonlinear structural analysis framework", Adv. Eng. Software, 40(1), 66-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2008.03.012
- Liu, X.P., EmreErkmen, R.E. and Bradford, M.A. (2012), "Creep and shrinkage analysis of curved composite beams with partial interaction", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 58(1), 57-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2012.03.001
- Lv, J., Wu, J., Luo, X.Q. and Zhang, Q.L. (2013), "Time-dependent analysis of steel-reinforced concrete structures", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 22(15), 1186-1198. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1079
- Mari, A., Mirambell, E. and Estrada, I. (2003), "Effects of construction process and slab prestressing on the serviceability behaviour of composite bridges", J. Construct. Steel Res., 59(2), 135-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(02)00029-9
- Munoz, J. and Jelenic, G. (2006), "Sliding joints in 3D beams: conserving algorithms using the master-slave approach", Multibody Syst. Dyn., 16(3), 237-261. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11044-006-9025-3
- Murthy, A.R.C., Palani, G.S. and Iyer, N.R. (2011), "Object-oriented programming paradigm for damage tolerant evaluation of engineering structural components", Adv. Eng. Software, 42(1-2), 12-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2010.10.012
- ObjectARX (2008), ObjectARX Developer's Guide for AutoCAD 2008; San Rafael, Autodesk Inc.
- Pedro, J.J.O. and Reis, A.J. (2010), "Nonlinear analysis of composite steel-concrete cable-stayed bridges", Eng. Struct., 32(9), 2702-2716. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.04.041
- Phongthanapanich, S. and Dechaumphai, P. (2006), "EasyFEM - An object-oriented graphics interface finite element/finite volume software", Adv. Eng. Software, 37(12), 797-804. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2006.05.006
- Ranzi, G., Bradford, M.A. and Uy, B. (2004), "A direct stiffness analysis of a composite beam with partial interaction", Int. J. Numer. Method. Eng., 61(5), 657-672. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1091
- Smerda, Z. and Kristek, V. (1988), Creep and Shrinkage of Concrete Elements and Structures, Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Tehami, M. and Ramdane, K.E. (2009), "Creep behaviour modelling of a composite steel-concrete section", J. Construct. Steel Res., 65(5), 1029-1033. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2009.01.001
- Improved step-by-step modeling method for analyzing the mechanical behavior of steel structures during construction 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433217753694