- Volume 20 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Joint distribution of wind speed and direction in the context of field measurement
- Wang, Hao (Key Laboratory of C&PC Structures of Ministry of Education, Southeast University) ;
- Tao, Tianyou (Key Laboratory of C&PC Structures of Ministry of Education, Southeast University) ;
- Wu, Teng (Department of Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering, University at Buffalo, State University of New York) ;
- Mao, Jianxiao (Key Laboratory of C&PC Structures of Ministry of Education, Southeast University) ;
- Li, Aiqun (Key Laboratory of C&PC Structures of Ministry of Education, Southeast University)
- Received : 2014.07.01
- Accepted : 2015.04.10
- Published : 2015.05.25
The joint distribution of wind speed and wind direction at a bridge site is vital to the estimation of the basic wind speed, and hence to the wind-induced vibration analysis of long-span bridges. Instead of the conventional way relying on the weather stations, this study proposed an alternate approach to obtain the original records of wind speed and the corresponding directions based on field measurement supported by the Structural Health Monitoring System (SHMS). Specifically, SHMS of Sutong Cable-stayed Bridge (SCB) is utilized to study the basic wind speed with directional information. Four anemometers are installed in the SHMS of SCB: upstream and downstream of the main deck center, top of the north and south tower respectively. Using the recorded wind data from SHMS, the joint distribution of wind speed and direction is investigated based on statistical methods, and then the basic wind speeds in 10-year and 100-year recurrence intervals at these four key positions are calculated. Analytical results verify the reliability of the recorded wind data from SHMS, and indicate that the joint probability model for the extreme wind speed at SCB site fits well with the Weibull model. It is shown that the calculated basic wind speed is reduced by considering the influence of wind direction. Compared to the design basic wind speed in the Specification of China, basic wind speed considering the influence of direction or not is much smaller, indicating a high safety coefficient in the design of SCB. The results obtained in this study can provide not only references for further wind-resistance research of SCB, but also improve the understanding of the safety coefficient for wind-resistance design of other engineering structures in the similar area.
- Cho, S., Jang, S.A., Jo, H., Park, J.W., Jung, H.J., Yun, C.B., Spencer, B.F. and Seo, J.W. (2010), "Structural health monitoring of a cable-stayed bridge using smart sensor technology: data analyses", Smart Struct. Syst., 6(5-6), 461-480. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2010.6.5_6.461
- Chen, X.Z. and Huang, G.Q. (2010), "Estimation of probabilistic extreme wind load effects: combination of aerodynamic and wind climate data", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 136(6), 747-760. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000118
- Coles, S.G. and Walshaw, D. (1994), "Directional modeling of extreme wind speeds", J. R. Stat. Soc, Ser. C (Appl. Stat.), 43(1), 139-157.
- Cook, N.J. (1982), "Towards better estimation of extreme winds", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 9, 295-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(82)90021-6
- Davenport, A.G. (1977), "The prediction of risk under wind loading", Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Structural Safety and Reliability, Munich.
- Fujino, Y. (2002), "Vibration, control and monitoring of long-span bridges-Recent research, developments and practice in Japan", J. Constr. Steel Res., 58(1), 71-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(01)00049-9
- Fujino, Y., Siringoringo, D.M. and Abe, M. (2009), "The needs for advanced sensor technologies in risk assessment of civil infrastructures", Smart Struct. Syst., 5(2), 173-191. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2009.5.2.173
- Ge, Y. and Xiang, H. (2002), "Statistical study for mean wind velocity in Shanghai area", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 90, 1585-1599. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(02)00272-6
- Gomes, L. and Vickery, B.J. (1974), On the prediction of extreme wind speeds from the parent distribution, Research Report No.R241, University of Sydney.
- Herb, J., Hoppmann, U., Heine, C. and Tielkes, T. (2007), "A new approach to estimate the wind speed probability distribution along a railway track based on international standards", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 95, 1097-1113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.01.018
- Hong, H.P., Li, S.H. and Mara T.G. (2013), "Performance of the generalized least squares method for the Gumbel distribution and its application to annual maximum wind speeds", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 119, 121-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2013.05.012
- Harris, R.I. and Cook, N.J. (2014), "The parent wind speed distribution: Why Weibull?", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 131, 72-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2014.05.005
- Kareem, A. (1999), "Analysis and performance of offshore platforms in hurricanes", Wind Struct., 2(1), 1-23. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.1999.2.1.001
- Ko, J.M. and Ni, Y.Q. (2005), "Technology developments in structural health monitoring of large-scale bridges", Eng. Struct., 27(12), 1715-1725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.02.021
- Liu, M., Liao, H.L., Li, M.S. and Ma, C. (2009), "Field measurements of natural wind characteristics at Xihoumen Bridge", Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Transportation Engineering 2009, pp. 3681-3686, Chengdu, China, July.
- Ou, J.P. and Li, H. (2010), "Structural health monitoring in mainland China: review and future trends", Struct. Health Monit., 9(3), 219-231. https://doi.org/10.1177/1475921710365269
- Simiu, E. and Filliben, J.J. (1976), "Probability distributions of extreme wind speeds", J. Struct. Div., 102, 1861-1877.
- Simiu, E. and Scanlan, R.H. (1978), Wind effects on structures: an introduction to wind engineering, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., USA.
- Simiu, E. and Filliben, J.J. (1981), "Wind direction effects on cladding and structural loads", Eng. Struct., 3, 181-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(81)90027-4
- Simiu, E., Hendrickson, E., Nolan, W., Olkin, I. and Spiegelman, C. (1985), "Multivariate distributions of directional wind speeds", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 111(4), 939-943. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:4(939)
- Wang, H., Li, A.Q., Niu, J., Zong, Z.H. and Li, J. (2013), "Long-term monitoring of wind characteristics at Sutong Bridge site", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 115, 39-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2013.01.006
- Wang, H., Hu, R.M., Xie, J., Tong, T. and Li, A.Q. (2013), "Comparative study on buffeting performance of Sutong Bridge based on design and measured spectrum", J. Bridge Eng., 18(7), 587-600. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000394
- Wen, Y.K. (1983), "Wind direction and structural reliability", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 109(4), 1028-1041. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1983)109:4(1028)
- Xu, Y.L., Zhu L.D., Wong K.Y. and Chan, K.W.Y. (2001), "Field measurement results of Tsing Ma suspension bridge during typhoon Victor", Struct. Eng. Mech., 10(6), 545-559. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2000.10.6.545
- Yang, Y.B., Ge, Y.J. and Xiang, H.F. (2002), "Statistical analysis of wind speed based on the joint distribution of wind speed and wind direction", Struct. Eng., 3, 29-36. (in Chinese)
- Ye, Z. and Xiang, Y. (2011), "Bridge design basic wind speed based on the joint distribution of wind speed and direction", Appl. Mech. Mater., 90-93, 805-812. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.90-93.805
- Zhang, H., Yu, Y.J. and Liu, Z.Y. (2014), "Study on the maximum entropy principle applied to the annual wind speed probability distribution: a case study for observations of intertidal zone anemometer towers of Rudong in East China Sea", Appl. Energ., 114, 931-938. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.07.040
- Comparative Study of the Wind Characteristics of a Strong Wind Event Based on Stationary and Nonstationary Models vol.143, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001725
- Wind power spectra for coastal area of East Jiangsu Province based on SHMS vol.22, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2016.22.2.235
- Structural health monitoring system for Sutong Cable-stayed Bridge vol.18, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.18.2.317