- Volume 4 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Study of the density of horns from cervids
- Vashukevich, Yury Evgenjevich (Irkutsk State Academy of Agriculture) ;
- Vashukevich, Elena Valirievna (Irkutsk State Academy of Agriculture) ;
- Polzer, Gottlieb (Irkutsk State Academy of Agriculture) ;
- Polzer, Liza (Irkutsk State Academy of Agriculture) ;
- Shvetsova, Svetlana Viktorovna (Irkutsk State Academy of Agriculture) ;
- Khantakova, Victoria Mikhailovna (Eurasian Linguistic Institute of Moscow State Linguistic University)
- Received : 2014.11.02
- Accepted : 2015.02.25
- Published : 2015.02.28
The article is devoted to the study of the density dependence of the horns tissue on the species and the age of the representatives of the deer family. In scientific literature this problem was covered partially. Basic physical parameters (mass, volume, and density) of horns from red deer (Cervus elaphus), fallow deer (Dama dama), European (Capreolus capreolus) and Siberian roe deer (Capreolus pygargus) were estimated. The present study was designed to analyze the results for making identification of species and age of the animal possible.
cervids (Cervidae);density of horns;density on deer age;dependence of mass;dry shed horns;volume
- Danilkin, A.A. 1998. Cervids. GEOS, Moscow (in Russian).
- Landete-Castillejos, T., L. Gallego, A. Garcia and J. Estevez, 2009. The characterization of the population of deer based on the composition of horns. Hunting: national hunting magazine, Moscow, 11:20-25 (in Russian).
- Lihatskiy, Yu.P. and S.G. Kolomeitsev. 2002. The excrescence and development of European red deer horns from the mother and filial populations. Voronezh. pp. 66-69 (in Russian).
- Miller, K.V., R.L. Marchinton, J.R. Beckwith and P.B. Bush. 1985. Variations in density and chemical compositions of white-tailed deer antlers. J. Mamm., 66(4):693-701 (in English). https://doi.org/10.2307/1380795
- Paramio, M.A.R., J. Munoz-Cobo, J. Moro, R. Gutierrez, A. Oya, S. Tellado and C. Azorit. 2012. Assessing red deer antler density with a hydrostatic method versus a new parametric volume-modelling technique using 3D-CAD [Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/AN12015, accessed July 20, 2012 (in English)].
- Smirnov, M.N. 2007. Red deer in the South Siberia. SFU, Krasnoyarsk (in Russian).
- Smirnova, M.N. 1989. Wild ungulates in the South of Siberia (the historical changes of the population, the problem of use). Management of wild ungulates populations. Kirov. pp. 59-75 (in Russian).
- Stepanova, V.V. 2013. Morphological peculiarities of red deer horns in Yakutia (Cervus elaphus) [Available from:http://www.zoology.dp.ua/z_09_209.html, accessed May 25, 2013 (in English)].
- Teplyashin, V.N. and N.A. Drozdova. 2012. The measurement of physical and mathematical properties of antlers and horns of domestic reindeer of Evenki breed. J. Vestnik. Krasnoayrsk. pp. 192-196 (in Russian).