- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of cardiopulmonary resuscitation reeducation on persistence of knowledge, performance and self-efficacy of nursing students
심폐소생술 교육 후 재교육이 간호대학생의 지식, 수행능력 및 자기효능감 지속에 미치는 효과
- Chae, Myeong-Jeong (Department of Nursing, Kwangju Women's University) ;
- Lee, Jin-Hee (Department of Nursing, Kwangju Women's University) ;
- Song, In-Ja (Department of Nursing, Kwangju Women's University) ;
- Kim, Jin-Il (College of Nursing, Konyang University)
- Received : 2015.03.11
- Accepted : 2015.04.24
- Published : 2015.04.30
Purpose: This study was undertaken to examine the effects regarding reeducation of cardiopulmonary resuscitation on persistence of nursing students' knowledge, performance, and self-efficacy. Methods: The research design for this study was a repeated experimental design featuring 35 female nursing students. Participants were educated using the standardized cardiopulmonary resuscitation protocol from the American Heart Association. Three months after the initial education, participants received reeducation about cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Knowledge and self-efficacy were measured before the initial education. Knowledge, performance, and self-efficacy were measured immediately after the initial education, 3 months later, and 6 months later. Collected data were analyzed using PASW Statistics 18.0. Results: Knowledge and self-efficacy significantly increased immediately after the initial education; knowledge, performance, and self-efficacy significantly decreased 3 months afterwards. No further decrease occurred until 3 months after reeducation. Conclusion: These results suggest that the duration between initial education and reeducation was insufficient, although the effects of cardiopulmonary resuscitation education were maintained 3 months after reeducation.
- Park JW, Sung CM, Cho YS, Choi YH, Park IC, Kim SH. The retraining effect and retention of CPR skill in medical students. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 2006;17(1):8-13.
- Aqel AA, Ahmad MM. High-fidelity simulation effects on CPR knowledge, skills, acquisition, and retention in nursing students. Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 2014;11(6):394-400. http: //dx.doi.org/10.1111/wvn.12063 https://doi.org/10.1111/wvn.12063
- Hong JS, Ahn R, Kim SH, Kim WY, Kim SO, Hong, ES. Retention of CPR skills by nursing students received training in AHA BLS course for healthcare providers. J Korean Med Sci 2009;20(6):609-14.
- Kim HS, Choi EY. Continuity of BLS training effects in nursing students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2012;18(1):102-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.102 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.102
- Chamberlain D, Smith A, Woollard M, Colquhoun M, Handley AJ, Leaves S, et al. Trials of teaching methods in basic life support (3): Comparison of simulated CPR performance after first training and at 6 months, with a note on the value of re-training. Resuscitation 2002;53(2):179-87. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/ S0300-9572(02)00025-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-9572(02)00025-4
- Jung GS, Oh HM, Choi GY. The implication and persistence effect of CPR education on female nursing students' knowledge, attitude, confidence and skills in performing CPR. J Korea Acad Industr Coop Soc 2013; 14(8):3941-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3941 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3941
- Oh SI, Han SS. A study on the sustainable effects of reeducation on cardiopulmonary resuscitation on nurses' knowledge and skills. J Korean Acad Nurs 2008;38(3):383-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3. 383 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.383
- Chun YM, Park SH, Park SY. Effects on self efficacy in knowledge and attitude of basic cardiopulmonary resuscitation in the higher grade of elementary school students. J East-West Nurs Res 2013;19(2):121-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.121 https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2013.19.2.121
- American Heart Association. Highlights of the 2010 American heart association guidelines for CPR and ECC. Available at:http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/CPRAndECC/Science/Guidelines/Guidelines-Highli ghts_UCM_317219_SubHomePage.jsp, 2010.
- Roh YS, Issenberg SB, Chung HS, Kim SS. Development and psychometric evaluation of the resuscitation self-efficacy scale for nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs 2012;42(7): 1079-86. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan. 2012.42.7.1079 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.7.1079
- Park JM. The effectiveness of competency and retention in cardiopulmonary resuscitation through self-directed learning. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyungpook National University 2006, Daegu, Korea.
- Jung JS. Effectiveness and retention of repeated simulation-based basic life support training for nursing students. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University 2013, Wonju, Korea.
- Ko PY, Scott JM, Mihai A, Grant WD. Comparison of a modified longitudinal simulation- based advanced cardiovascular life support to a traditional advanced cardiovascular life support curriculum in third-year medical students. Teach Learn Med 2011;23(4):324-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10401334.2011.611763 https://doi.org/10.1080/10401334.2011.611763
- Kim SM, Lee EJ. The effects of CPR clinical training on CPR performance and self efficacy in nursing students. J Korea Acad Industr Coop Soc 2011;12(12):5759-65. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5759 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5759
- Akhu-Zaheya LM, Gharaibeh MK, Alostaz ZM. Effectiveness of simulation on knowledge acquisition, knowledge retention, and self-efficacy of nursing students in Jordan. Clinical Simulation in Nursing 2013;9(9): E335-E342. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns. 2012.05.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2012.05.001
- Larsen MP, Eisenberg MS, Cummins RO, Hallstrom AP. Predicting survival from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: A graphic model. Ann Emerg Med 1993;22(11):1652-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0196-0644(05) 81302-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-0644(05)81302-2
- Song KJ, Oh DJ. Current status of CPR in Korea. Korean J Med 2007;73(1):4-10.
- Hunt EA, Fiedor-Hamilton M, Eppich WJ. Resuscitation education: Narrowing the gap between evidence-based resuscitation guidelines and performance using best educational practices. Pediatr Clin North Am 2008;55(4):1025-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcl.2008.04.007
- Korean Ministry of Health and Welfare. Results of the cardiac arrest survey 2011-2012. Available at: http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal 0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&page=1&CONT_SEQ=287690, 2013.
- Jeong JO. Regional cardiocerebrovascular center project in the treatment of acute myocardial infarction. Korean J Med 2013; 85(3):272-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.3904/ kjm. 2013.85.3.272 https://doi.org/10.3904/kjm.2013.85.3.272
- Choi YR, Hong KP, Lee SC, Kim DO, Park SW, Gwon HC, et al. Evaluation of in-hospital cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Korean Circ J 1998;28(7):1084-90. https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.19184.108.40.2064
- Josipovic P, Webb M, McGrath I. Basic life support knowledge of undergraduate nursing and chiropractic students. Aust J Adv Nurs 2009;26(4):58-63.
- Knox S, Cullen W, Dunne C. Continuous professional competence (CPC) for emergency medical technicians in Ireland: Educational needs assessment. BMC Emerg Med 2013;13:25. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-227X-13-25 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-227X-13-25
- Mahling M, Münch A, Schenk S, Volkert S, Rein A, Teichner U, et al. Basic life support is effectively taught in groups of three, five and eight medical students: A prospective, randomized study. BMC Med Educ 2014;14:185. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-14-185 https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-14-185
- Ryynänen OP, Iirola T, Reitala J, Pälve H, Malmivaara A. Is advanced life support better than basic life support in prehospital care? A systematic review. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 2010;18:62. https://doi.org/10.1186/1757-7241-18-62
- Pande S, Pande S, Parate V, Pande S, Sukhsohale N. Evaluation of retention of knowledge and skills imparted to first-year medical students through basic life support training. Adv Physiol Educ 2014;38(1):42-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1152/advan.00102. 2013 https://doi.org/10.1152/advan.00102.2013
- Kim SH, Kim SH, Shim CS. The effect and retention of CPR training in nursing students. J Korean Soc Emerg Med 2007; 18(6):496-502.
- Brown TB, Dias JA, Saini D, Shah RC, Cofield SS, Terndrup TE, et al. Relationship between knowledge of cardiopulmonary resuscitation guidelines and performance. Resuscitation 2006;69(2):253-61. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation. 2005.08.019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2005.08.019
- Kottachchi DT, Dong J, Reid S. A rare complication of cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Can J Surg 2009;52(1):E1-E2.
- Kurkciyan I, Meron G, Sterz F, Müllner M, Tobler K, Domanovits H, et al. Major bleeding complications after cardiopulmonary resuscitation: Impact of thrombolytic treat- ment. J Intern Med 2003;253(2):128-35. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2796. 2003.01079.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2796.2003.01079.x