- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Correlation among knowledge of safety, compliance with safety rules, and ability to cope with emergency situations of scuba divers
스쿠버 다이버의 안전지식, 안전수칙 준수와 응급상황 대처능력의 관계
- Park, Hong-Cheol (Cameroon Emergency Medical Center, Korea International Cooperation Agency) ;
- Cho, Keun-Ja (Department of Emergency Medical Service, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2015.02.28
- Accepted : 2015.04.24
- Published : 2015.04.30
Purpose: This study aimed to identify the current status and correlations among scuba divers' knowledge of safety, compliance with safety rules, and ability to cope with emergency situations. Methods: There were 317 study subjects. Data were collected between September 21, 2012 and September 7, 2013, and analyzed using SPSS software version 21.0. Results: Of the participants, 89.3% wanted to be educated in emergency care, while 69.4% indicated that preparedness in emergency situations for divers is insufficient. 78.5% suggested a need to creat a legal standard for the prevention of accidents. The average scores among the participants showed 3.22 points for knowledge of safety, 3.09 points for compliance with safety rules, and 2.91 points for ability to cope with accidents and emergency situations, with strong correlation among them. The lower license level they had, the lower score they indicated. Conclusion: We suggest there is a need to strengthen systematic educations on knowledge of safety, compliance with safety rules, and the ability to cope with emergency situations and emergency care at the open water level. In addition, there is a need to creat legal standards to consolidate the effects of these changes.
Knowledge of safety;Compliance with safety rules;Ability to cope;Emergency situation;Scuba diver
- Professional Association of Diving Instructors. Scuba diver course of professional association of diving instructors, Available at: http://www.padi.co.kr/scuba/padi-courses/default.aspx, 2014.
- Jung MS, Park SG. A study on the improvement of recreational scuba curriculum and activating ways. The Journal of Sports and Leisure Studies 2007;30:165-75.
- Kang ES, Lim HS, Kang JH, Mun YJ. The analysis on the causes of non-activating precautionary decompression stop by scuba divers. The Korea Journal of Sports Science 2009;8(4):175-90.
- Ra SG. A study on bodily injuries of skin-SCUBA divers caused by stress and panic. Unpublished master's thesis, Wonkwang University 2007, Iksan, Korea.
- Mun SJ. A Study on the psychological anxiety of SCUBA diver. Unpublished master's thesis, Konkuk University 1998, Seoul, Korea.
- Jung CH, Lee CW, Kim JM, Kang SY. A study on the characteristics of diving accident based on the reports of diving casualties. Journal of Korean Navigation and Port Research 2006;30(1):29-33. http://dx.doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2006.30.1.029 https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2006.30.1.029
- Oh KJ, Park JY, Sakong J. Diving patterns and decompression sickness related symptoms of SCUBA divers. The Journal of Korea Sport Medicine 2008;26(1):78-9.
- Lee JB, You JH, Son SK, Sung TM, Paeng KJ. Case on the death of scuba diver by analyzing the air in nitrox cylinder. The Journal of KOSOS 2011;26(2):42-7.
- Ministry of Government Legislation. Fishery resource management act. Available at: http://www.law.go.kr/lsSc.do?menuId=0&subMenu=1&query=%EC%88%98%EC%82%B0%EC%9E%90%EC%9B%90%EB%B2%95#liBgcolor4, 2014.
- Oh TG. A study on safety measurement of deep sea commercial diving operation. Unpublished master's thesis, Pukyong National University 2009, Busan, Korea.
- Kim YS. The effect of 40-hour work week system on leisure life of workers. Industrial Labor Studies 2011;17(1):37-70.
- Korea Diving Education Community. Divers population. The Journal of Under Water World 2012;3(4):139.
- Lee SM, Jo MS. Early child care teachers' treatment method on emergency situation at early childhood education setting. Journal of Future Early Childhood Education 2010; 17(4):55-80.
- Kang KS. Influence on safety knowledge of skinscuba club activities. Unpublished master's thesis, Daejeon University 2012, Daejeon, Korea.
- Gu JC. Sport SCUBA diver's problem experience and their improving plans. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Incheon University 2004, Incheon, Korea.
- Song KC. A study on a skin-scuba diver's recognition of a wound. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyonggi University 2005, Seoul, Korea.
- An JH. The categorization of diving beginners' risk alertness. Unpublished master's thesis, Incheon National University 2011, Incheon, Korea.
- Kim SH. A study on the security management of user in water leisure sports. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea National Sport University, 2008, Seoul, Korea.
- Scuba Schools International. open water divers. Scuba Schools International. Available at: http://divessi.com, 2011.
- Lee MJ. Characteristics of patients with leisure activities-related injury visited in an emergency medical center. Unpublished master's thesis, Ulsan University 2013, Ulsan, Korea.
- Taylor DM, O'Toole KS, Ryan CM. Experienced scuba divers in australia and the United States suffer considerable injury and morbidity. Wilderness Environ Med 2003; 14(2):83-8. https://doi.org/10.1580/1080-6032(2003)014[0083:ESDIAA]2.0.CO;2
- Lee HC, Lee ML. Knowledge and education levels regarding the basic life support among scuba divers. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2014;18(2):45-58. http://dx.doi.org/10.1580/1080-6032(2003)014[0083: ESDIAA] 2.0.CO;2 https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2014.18.2.045