- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Prehospital care and knowledge, prehospital care confidence toward the infant and toddlers of the 119 emergency medical technicians
119 구급대원의 영유아에 대한 응급처치 현황 및 응급처치 지식과 수행 자신감 비교
- Song, Eun-Hye (Nambu Fire Station, Daejeon Metropolitan City Fire Service Headquater) ;
- Lee, Kyoung-Youl (Department of Emergency Medical Service, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2015.03.02
- Accepted : 2015.04.24
- Published : 2015.04.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to improve the quality of prehospital care provided to infants and toddlers (preschoolers) based on questionnaire findings. Methods: A total of 1,634 running sheets from 119 centers of D city from patients older than 1 month and less than 7 years of age from January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013 were reviewed for 119 emergency medical technicians (EMTs) activity analysis. And a self-reported questionnaire about knowledge and competency in prehospital care of preschoolers was completed by 159 EMTs at fire stations in D city. Data were analyzed using IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows, Version 21.0. Results: Of 1,634 patients, 58.6% were call to 119 due to disease, 33.8% due to injuries and 7.5% due to traffic accident. Knowledge and confidence in treating preschoolers was significantly higher among paramedic EMTs than basic EMTs. The 119 EMTs surveyed indicated that training for preschooler prehospital care was most needed. Conclusion: In order to provide high quality prehospital care for preschoolers transported to emergency rooms, it is necessary to equip ambulances with the proper equipment. In addition, EMTs should be provided educational opportunities and clinical training.
Prehospital care;Preschooler;Knowledge;Confidence;Emergency medical technicians
- Kim IO, Sin SH. A survey on the experience of accident of infant, toddler and preschooler, and the education about emergency care for parents. Child Health Nurs Res 2002;8(2):174-82.
- Hwang SE. A study on the improvement of material standards to decrease children's safety accidents in urban residential areas. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University of Science And Technology 2014, Seoul, Korea.
- Korea Consumer Agency. Children Survey accidents by type. Available at: http://www.kca.go.kr/brd/m_367/view.do?seq= 298&srchFr=&srchTo=&srchWord=safetyIncidents&srchTp=0&itm_seq_1=0&itm_seq_2=0&multi_itm_seq=0&company_cd=&company_nm=&pitem=10&page=2, 2011.
- Korea Consumer Agency. Child safety incidents analysis. Available at: http://www.kca.go.kr/brd/m_367/view.do?seq=432&srchFr=&srchTo=&srchWord=&srchTp=0&itm_seq_1=0&itm_seq_2=0&multi_itm_seq=0&company_cd=&company_nm=&pitem=10&page=1, 2014.
- Lee MS. Study of nurses in emergency department on the stress and job satisfaction related to nursing of emergency pediatric patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyunghee University 2012, Seoul, Korea.
- Jo MC. A study on the characteristics of children patients in the general hospital medical emergency center. Health and Welfare 2010;12:139-58. https://doi.org/10.23948/kshw.2010.12.12.139
- Kwon JS. The effects of education on child accident prevention at home and first aid treatment. Unpublished master's thesis, In Je University 2011, Gimhae, Korea.
- Kim SS. A study on the curriculum of emergency medical technology in Korea. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2009;13(2):17-59.
- Lee JI. Comparison of the four-year emergency paramedic training programs of South Korea and the United States. Unpublished master's thesis, Kongju National University 2011, Gongju, Korea.
- Towner E, Dowswell T, Jarvis S. Updating the evidence. A systematic review of what works in preventing childhood unintentional injuries: Part 2. Inj Prev 2001;7(3): 249-53. https://doi.org/10.1136/ip.7.3.249
- Lee JH. Study of factors affecting the infant rearer's knowledge of first aid for injury. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea National University of Transportation 2013, Chungju, Korea.
- Lee YA, Gho JM. Development and implementation of children life safety support education program for parent. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2011;15(2):15-26.
- Kim SJ. The degree of safety education requirement for younger children in child daycare center teachers. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2013;19(2):137-50. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.137
- Bae WH. Children's speciality nurse. Seoul: Koonja, 2009. 45-73.
- James SR. Principles and practice of child health nursing center. Seoul: Hyunmoonsa, 2009. 52-162.
- Korean Council of Professors for Emergency Medical Service. Paramedic care: Principles and practice. Seoul: Daihakseorim, 2006. 49-156.
- Nancy C. Emergency care in the streets. Seoul: Jeongdammedia, 2010. 1511-69.
- Lee KR. Appraisal of prehospital care by 119 squad. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University 2005, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee ES. Analysis on prehospital care report for sharing efficient emergency medical information. Unpublished master's thesis, Gachon University Of Medicine And Science 2006, Incheon, Korea.
- Jeon HJ. Utilization status of emergency medical service of pediatric patients. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University 2007, Seoul, Korea.
- Cho YR, Lee KY. Current prehospital care status, knowledge, and prehospital care confidence toward the elderly among 119 emergency medical technicians. Korean J Emerg Med Ser 2014;18(3):19-35. http:// dx.doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS. 2014. 18.3.019 https://doi.org/10.14408/KJEMS.2014.18.3.019
- Park SH. Relationship between child pain management knowledge, barriers, and performance of emergency unit nurse. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University 2014, Seoul, Korea.
- Chung YS, Kim JS. Pediatric nurses' knowledge and attitudes toward childhood fever. Child Health Nurs Res 2009;15(2): 171-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.4094/jkachn. 2009.15.2.171