- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Perceived oral health awareness in dementia and dementia-suspected depending on KMME
일부 치매 및 치매의심환자들의 인지기능에 따른 구강보건인식 조사
- Received : 2014.12.08
- Accepted : 2015.04.06
- Published : 2015.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to investigate cognitive function, performance of activities of daily living, and recognition on oral health with the cognitive function testto dementia or dementia-suspected patients in the outpatients. Methods: The subjects were 94 dementia or dementia-suspected patients visiting C University hospital for the dementia test. Study instruments included Korea Mini-Mental State Examination KMMS, The Bayer-Activities of Daily Living Scale; B-ADL, Seoul-Instrumental Activities of Daily Living; S-IADL, Global Deterioration Scale; GDS, Korean Dementia Screening Questionnaire; KDSQ, and underlying diseases. Results: Dementia or dementia-suspected patients were 42 by KMMSE test, 25 patients had impaired functioning of daily living by B-ADL test, 27 patients showed the presence of depression by GDS test, and 45 patients showed impaired functioning of daily living. There was a statistically significant difference in the subjective recognition on oral health conditions. There was a statistically significant difference in the subjective recognition on oral health conditions by ADL. There was a positive correlation between the cognitive function and ADL performance. Higher cognitive function is proportional to ADL performance. Conclusions: The cognitive function was closely associated with ADL and subjective oral health conditions.
activities of daily living(ADL);current oral health state;cognitive oral health;dementia
- Choi HJ, Kim HJ, Park KB, Park HM, Kim SH. The results of complete enumeration survey of the cognitive screening test in the people aged 60 and older in absolute poverty of the local community. Dementia and Neurocognitive Disorders 2011; 10(4): 112-6.
- Sohn SH, Choi TK, Oh BH, OH HC, Kim SM, An SK, et al. Differences in cognitive function and activities of daily living between alzheimer patients with depression and those without depression. J Korean Neuropsychiatric Assoc 1999; 38(2): 278-88.
- Jun MJ. Oral health status on the aged with dementia in long-term care hospital. [Master's thesis]. Gwangju: Univ. of Chosun, 2008.
- Shon JH. Enhancing activities of daily living skills in older adults with mild dementia through a computer cognitive training program[Master's thesis]. Chungnam: Univ. of Hanseo, 2012.
- Ryoo EN, Park KS. Validity, Reliability and efficiency of pain self-report scale in elderly with dementia. Korean J Adult Nurs 2011; 23(2) :111-22.
- Lim YM. Nursing intervention for grooming performance of elders with cognitive impairments. Korean Gerontological Nursing Society 2000; 12(2): 105-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.1067/mgn.2003.9.
- Lee J. A study on the nutrient intake of hospital stay dement elderly dementia patients Having general diet[Master's thesis]. Cheonan: Univ. of Dankook, 2007.
- Kim MG, Lee SS, Lee YH, Lee SK, Ahn DS, Shim JC, et al. An investigation to the diagnostic validity of MMSE-K and the psychopathology in a group of urban patients with dementia of alzheimer type. J Korean Neuropsychair Asoc 1998; 37(6): 127-91.
- Kim JK, Chong BH. Effect of physical activity of patient with dementia. J Soc Occup Therapy for the Aged and Dementia 2007; 1(2): 70-9.
- Ryu KH, Kang YW, Na SL, Lee KH, Chung CS. The characteristics of depression in dementia patients. Korean J Clinical Psychology 2000; 19(1): 117-29.
- Ha J. Disease awareness process in elderly with early dementia[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2007.
- Lee JY. Validity of the OHIP 14 (Oral Health Impact Profile 14) on the evaluation of living quality concerning oral health of some elderly people[Master's thesis]. Jeonju: Univ. of Chonbuk National, 2007.
- Shin BM, Bae SM, Ryu DY, Choi YK. The relationship between the numbers of natural teeth and nutritional status of elderly in korea-based on 2007-2009 national health and nutrition survey data. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(3): 521-31. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.521
- Kim EJ. Factors influencing care dependency in patients with dementia. J Korea Acad Nurs 2003; 33(6): 705-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2013.46.3.285.
- Kim CG. Importance of and influencing factors on nurses' caring behaviors for elders with dementia. Korea J Adult Nurs 2011; 23(2): 160-9.
- Park SH, Yang YA. A Systematic review about intervention of dementia patient of cognition. Society of Occupational Therapy for the Aged and Dementia 2011; 5(2): 9-15.
- Kim JK, Chong BH. Effect of physical activity of patient with dementia. Society of Occupational Therapy for the Aged and Dementia 2007; 1(2): 70-9.
- Im JJ, Kang HY. Effect of nursing intervention program to prevent dementia on cognitive function and depression among community elderly. The 8th International Nursing Conference 2011; 10: 280.
- Jeong EH, Kim HY, Lee JH. Can we further divide amnestic mild cognitive impairment based on the pattern of memory deficit?: A preliminary study. Alzheimers and Dementia 2012; 8(4): 513-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.12779/dnd.2012.11.1.18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jalz.2011.10.006
- Lee SS. Review study of clinical availability for screening test(MMSE, GDS, CDR)[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2007.
- Yu JY. Dementia preventive behavior, self-efficacy and cognitive function in elderly[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Ewha womens, 2011.
- Nam YO. A study on relationships between oral health care status and QOL-and IADL of the elderly. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010; 24(3): 362-71.
- Influence of denture wearing on a mini-mental state examination(MMSE-K) in the elderly vol.16, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.295
- The relationship between the number of remaining teeth and senile dementia: A pilot study vol.39, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.3.214
Supported by : 백석대학교