- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Health-related quality of life by oral health behavior and oral health status for the Middle-aged people
중장년층의 구강보건행동과 구강건강상태에 따른 건강관련 삶의 질
- Received : 2014.12.25
- Accepted : 2015.04.06
- Published : 2015.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to investigate the relation between health-related quality of life and oral health behavior and oral health status, and to provide the basic data for national oral health policy. Methods: The primary data of the 5th National Health Examination and Nutritional Survey(NHANES) in 2012 were used in this study. The subjects were 2,243 middle-aged people(40-59 years old), 827 persons were excluded for missing value or having diseases affecting quality of life(depression, stroke, cardiac infarction, angina, liver cancer, stomach cancer, colon cancer, breast cancer, cervical cancer, lung cancer, thyroid cancer, other cancers, arthritis), and 1,416 data were finally analyzed. Results: In health-related quality of life by subjects' characteristics, there was significant difference in gender, age, education, family income, and employment status(p<0.01) except for current smoking. Oral health behavior didn't have significant relation to health-related quality of life, but better oral health status showed better health-related quality of life(p<0.01). Conclusions: In conclusion, this study suggested that there was close relationship between the oral health status and health-related quality of life in moddle aged people. Therefore, national oral health policy is needed for the oral health promotion with commitment of oral prophylaxis and care programs to the individual and community.
health-related quality of life;middle-aged;oral health beehavior;oral health status
- Kang MG. The influence of health lifestyle on health care utilization[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul : Univ. of Yonsei, 2000.
- Song KH. A study on the evaluation of health and oral health related quality of life in korean adults[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul : Univ. of Hanyang, 2007.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Disease Management Division, Public health nutrition research Raw materials Use guidelines, 2000.
- Choi WC. Reasons for extraction of permanent teeth among primary dental consumers in metropolitan area of Korea [Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul : Univ. of Seoul National, 1999.
- Park MK. Multiple logistic regression analysis of elements related to dental caries based on common risk factor approach-Based on data of 2005 korean national health and nutrition survey[Master's thesis]. Seoul : Univ. of Chung-Ang, 2009.
- Kim MJ. Related Factors to Perception and Practice for Oral Health among Patients Visiting Dental Clinics [Master's thesis]. Gyeongsangnam-do : Univ. of Inje, 2010.
- Lee HS. Effects of smoking on oral health-Preliminary evaluation for long-term study of a specific population with good oral hygiene[Master's thesis]. Gyeonggi-do : Univ. of Dankook, 2010.
- Kim GR. A Comparative Study on Partial Undergraduates' Oral Health Behavior in Relation to the Oral Health Education[Master's thesis]. Seoul : Univ. of Ewha Womans, 2009.
- Shin SI. Relationship between the oral health impact profileand oral status of adult[Master's thesis]. Seoul : Univ. of Yonsei, 2007.
- Park CS. Study on the status of recognition, understanding of the use and practical application of oral hygiene devices in dental clinics patients. J Korean Soc Dental Hyg 2009; 9(4): 1-16.
- Han JE. The study in terms of factors having effects on continued oral health management of high school students. J Korean Acad Dental Hyg 2010; 12(3): 263-74.
- Lee JY, Kim GP, Yu BC. Relationship between periodontal diseases and quality of life. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(5): 835-43. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.835. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.835
- Lee EG. Comparison of the quality of life of adults and elderly. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(5): 1029-38. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.5.1029
- Jang SH, Choi MH. Evaluation of the quality of life related to oral health among elderly people in some elderly care facilities by OHIP-14. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(4): 475-87.
- Cho GS, Jang JH. Clinical predictors related to oral health in elderly for visiting healthcare. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(6): 983-90.
- Yoon MH. Association between oral health and health-related quality of life in adults[Master's thesis]. Seoul : Univ. of Korea, 2008.
- Lee IC, Shieh TY, Yang YH, Tsai CC, Wang KH. Individuals' perception of oral health and its impact on the health-related quality of life. J Oral Reh 2007; 34(2): 79-87. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2006.01694.x
- Leao A, Sheiham A. Relation between Clinical Dental Status and Subjective Impacts on Daily Living. J Dent Res. 1995; 74(7): 1408-13. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345950740071301
- Steele JG, Sanders AE, Slade GD, Allen PF, Lahti S, Nuttall N, Spencer AJ. How do age and tooth loss affect oral health impacts and quality of life? A study comparing two national samples. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2004; 32(2): 107-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.0301-5661.2004.00131.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0301-5661.2004.00131.x
- Kim JW. Assessment on Quality of Life: Based on Oral Health Conditions. J Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Soc 2010; 11(12): 4873-80. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.12.4873
- Allen PF, McMillan AS. The impact of tooth loss in a denture wearing population: an assessment using the Oral Health Impact Profile. Community Dent Health 1999; 16(3): 176-80.
- Oral care status and periodontal disease of middle aged diabetic patients vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.01.1
- Morbidity of dental caries and periodontal disease based on oral healthcare of adults in Busan vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.01.27
- Study on Mineral Concentration Changes and Anticariogenic Effects of Organic Bamboo Salt with Different Number of Baking Times vol.52, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2018.52.1.61