- Volume 24 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Formation of Chlorination Disinfection By-Products in Extracellular Organic Matter of Various Algal Species
다양한 조류종들의 세포외 유기물질에서의 염소 소독부산물 생성 특성
- Son, Hee-Jong (Water Quality Institute, Water authority) ;
- Park, Hong-Ki (Water Quality Institute, Water authority) ;
- Hwang, Young-Do (Water Quality Institute, Water authority) ;
- Jung, Jong-Moon (Water Quality Institute, Water authority) ;
- Kim, Sang-Goo (Water Quality Institute, Water authority)
- 손희종 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 박홍기 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 황영도 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 정종문 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소) ;
- 김상구 (부산광역시 상수도사업본부 수질연구소)
- Received : 2015.02.17
- Accepted : 2015.04.02
- Published : 2015.04.30
Formation of disinfection by-products (DBPs) including trihalomethans (THMs) and haloacetic acids (HAAs) from chlorination of six different species (Chlorella vulgaris, Scenedesmus sp., Anabaena cylindrical, Microcystis aeruginosa, Asterionella formosa and Aulacoseira sp.) of algal extracellular organic matter (EOM). The EOM characteristics evaluation of six algal species reaching at the stationary phase in the growth curve showed most of its SUVA254 showed below 1 and this means hydrophilic organic matter is much higher than hydrophobic organic matter. Chloroform formation potential (CFFP), dichloroacetic acid formation potential (DCAAFP) and trichloroacetic acid formation potential (TCAAFP) were mainly composed of THMFP and HAAFP in the EOM of various algal species. In the case of THMFP/DOC and HAAFP/DOC values, EOM of blue-green algae has appeared highest and EOM of green algae and diatom in order. THMFP/DOC was higher than HAAFP/DOC in EOM of blue-green algae. In comparison of formation potential by unit DOC composed of HAAFP in algal species EOM, DCAAFP/DOC was 1.5 times to 7.5 time higher than TCAAFP/DOC in the EOM of blue-green algae, while DCAAFP/DOC was found to be relatively high compared to TCAAFP/DOC in the EOM of green algae and diatom.
- Ando, A., Miwa, M., Kajino, M., Tatsumi, S., 1992, Removal of musty-odorous compounds in water and retained in algal cells through water purification processes, Water Sci. Technol., 25(2), 299-306.
- Becker, E. W., 2007, Micro-algae as a source of protein, Biotechnology Advances, 25(2), 207-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biotechadv.2006.11.002
- Bond, T., Huang, J., Templeton, M. R., Graham, N., 2011, Occurrence and control of nitrogenous disinfection by-products in drinking water - a review, Water Res., 45, 4341-4354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2011.05.034
- Brown, M. R., Jeffrey, S. W., Volkman, J. K., Dunstan, G. A., 1997, Nutritional properties of microalgae for mariculture," Aquaculture, 151(1-4), 315-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0044-8486(96)01501-3
- Boyer, T. H., Singer, P. C., Aiken, G. R., 2008, Removal of dissolved organic matter by anion exchange: effect of dissolved organic matter properties, Environ. Sci. Technol., 42(19), 7431-7437. https://doi.org/10.1021/es800714d
- Choi, S. K., Lee, J. Y., Kwon, D. Y., Cho, K. J., 2006, Settling characteristics of problem algae in the water treatment process," Water Sci. Technol., 53(7), 73-119.
- Crane, A. M., Kovacic, P., Kovacic, E. D., 1980, Volatile halocarbon production from the chlorination of marine algal byproducts, including D-mannitol, Environ. Sci. Technol., 14(11), 1371-1374. https://doi.org/10.1021/es60171a005
- Fang, J., Ma, J., Yang, X., Shang, C., 2010, Formation of carbonaceous and nitrogenous disinfection by-products from the chlorination of Microcystis aeruginosa, Water Res., 44, 1934-1940. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2009.11.046
- Fleming, L. E., Rivero, C., Burns, J., Williams, C., Bean, J. A., Shea, K. A., Stinn, J., 2002, Blue green algal (cyanobacterial) toxins, surface drinking water, and liver cancer in Florida, Harmful Algae, 1, 157-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1568-9883(02)00026-4
- Her, N., Amy, G. L., Park, H. R., Song, M., 2004, Characterizing algogenic organic matter (AOM) and evaluating associated NF membrane fouling, Water Res., 38, 1427-1438. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2003.12.008
- Hong, H. C., Mazumder, A., Wong, M. H., Liang, Y., 2008, Yield of trihalomethanes and haloacetic acids upon chlorinating algal cells, and its prediction via algal cellular biochemical composition, Water Res., 42, 4941-4949. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2008.09.019
- Hua, G., Reckhow, D. A., 2007, Characterization of disinfection byproduct precursors based on hydrophobicity and molecular size, Environ. Sci. Technol., 42(19), 3309-3315.
- Huang, J., Graham, N. J. D., Templeton, M. R., Zhang, Y., Collins, C., Nieuwenhuijsen, M., 2008, Evaluation of Anabaena flos-aquae as a precursor for trihalomethane and haloacetic acid formation, Water Sci. Technol. Water Suppl., 8(6), 653-662. https://doi.org/10.2166/ws.2008.151
- Huang, J., Graham, N. J. D., Templeton, M. R., Zhang, Y., Collins, C., Nieuwenhuijsen, M., 2009, A comparison of the role of two blue-green algae in THM and HAA formation, Water Res., 43, 3009-3018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2009.04.029
- Joh, G., Choi, Y. S., Shin, J, K., Lee, J., 2011, Problematic algae in the sedimentation and filtration process of water treatment plants, J. Water Suppl. Res. Technol. -Aqua, 60(4), 219-230. https://doi.org/10.2166/aqua.2011.035
- Jun, H. B., Lee, Y. J., Lee, B. D., Knappe, D. R. U., 2001, Effectiveness of coagulants and coagulant aids for the removal of filter-clogging Synedra, J. Water Suppl. Res. Technol.-Aqua, 50(3), 135-148.
- Ma, J., Lei, G., Fang, J., 2007, Effect of algae species population structure on their removal by coagulation and filtration processes - a case study, J. Water Suppl. Res. Technol.-Aqua, 56(1), 41-54. https://doi.org/10.2166/aqua.2007.062
- Myklestad, S. M., 1995, Release of extracellular products by phytoplankton with special emphasis on polysaccharides, Sci. Total Environ., 165, 155-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(95)04549-G
- NIES of Japan, 1994, List of Strain : Microalgae and Protozoa, 4th Edition.
- Nguyen, M. L., Westerhoff, P., Baker, L., Hu, Q., Esparza-Soto, M., Sommerfeld, M., 2005, Characteristics and reactivity of algae-produced dissolved organic carbon, J. Environ. Eng., 131(11), 1574-1582. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(2005)131:11(1574)
- Plummer, J. D., Edzwald, J. K., 2001, Effect of ozone on algae as precursors for trihalomethane and haloacetic acid production, Environ. Sci. Technol., 35(18), 3661-3668. https://doi.org/10.1021/es0106570
- Son, H. J., 2013, Changes of dominant phytoplankton community in downstream of the Nakdong River: from 2002 to 2012, J. Kor. Soc. Environ. Eng., 35(4), 289-293. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2013.35.4.289
- Son, H. J., Yeom, H. S., Jung, J. M., Choi, J. T., 2012, Decomposition of Microcystis sp. cell and formation of chlorination disinfection by-products, J. Kor. Soc. Environ. Eng., 34(5), 351-358. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2012.34.5.351
- U.S. EPA, 2003, Method 552.3: Determination of Haloacetic Acids and Dalapon in Drinking Water by Liquid-Liquid Microextraction, Derivatization and Gas Chromatography with Electron Capture Detection. EPA 815-B-03-002, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Effect of Pre-chlorine and Polyamine Dosing for Microcystis sp. Bloomed Water on Drinking Water Treatment Processes : Particle Matter Distribution vol.39, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2017.39.10.556