- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Selecting Core Areas for Conserving Riparian Habitat Using Habitat Suitability Assessment for Eurasian Otter
서식지 적합성 평가를 이용한 수변지역 핵심 보전지역 선정 - 수달을 대상으로 -
- Jeong, Seunggyu (Research Institute of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Park, Chong Hwa (Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Seoul National University) ;
- Woo, Donggul (Department of Ecosystem Conservation Research, National Institute of Ecology) ;
- Lee, Dong Kun (Department of Landscape Architecture and Rural System Engineering, CALS, Seoul National University) ;
- Seo, Changwan (Department of Climate & Ecology, National Institute of Ecology) ;
- Kim, Ho Gul (Interdisciplinary Program in Landscape Architecture, Seoul National University)
- 정승규 (서울대학교 농업생명과학연구원) ;
- 박종화 (서울대학교 환경대학원) ;
- 우동걸 (국립생태원 생태보전연구부) ;
- 이동근 (서울대학교 조경지역시스템공학부) ;
- 서창완 (국립생태원 기후생태연구실) ;
- 김호걸 (서울대학교 협동과정조경학과)
- Received : 2015.02.13
- Accepted : 2015.04.29
- Published : 2015.04.30
In Korea, significant riparian areas have been developed due to river maintenance projects. Introduction of new riparian facilities can negatively affect wildlife in the riparian areas. This study focuses on selecting core conservation areas for Eurasian Otter(Lutra lutra) to support decision making process for development of riparian areas. For the study, first of all, field data of study site were collected by field surveys. Secondly, stream naturalness was assessed to understand physical environments of the study sites. Thirdly, habitat suitability was assessed using occurrence data of Eurasian Otter and environmental data. Lastly, core areas for conservation was selected by comparing and synthesizing stream naturalness map and habitat suitability map. The selected core areas showed several characteristics. The number of artificial facilities is low in the core areas. Rocks which are preferred by Eurasian Otter to eat and excrete are plentiful in the core areas. Also, the ratio of adjacent farmland is high. Based on the analyses, it is expected that this study can contribute to decision making process for environmental spatial plans to better conserve habitats of Eurasian Otter.
Species distribution model;Logistic regression model;Stream naturalness assessment;Riparian habitat;River corridor survey
Supported by : 환경부, 산림청
- Beazley, K. 2005. Biodiversity Conservations in System Planning: Map-Based Approach for Nova Scotia, CANADA, Ecological Applications, 15(6), 2005, pp. 2192-2208. https://doi.org/10.1890/03-5270
- Cho Y. 1997. A Study on Evaluation Method of Stream Naturalness for Ecological Restoration of Stream Corridors, Journal of Korean institute of landscape architecture, 25(2): 73-81. (in Korean)
- Cho Y. 1997b. Development of an evaluation method of stream naturalness for ecological restoration of stream corridors, Doctoral thesis, Seoul National University. (in Korean)
- Cultural Heritage Administration. 2001. Report for habitat conditions and protect methods of Otter. (in Korean)
- Daegu Regional Environmental Office. 2002. Report for habitat for Otter. (in Korean)
- Green, J. and Green, R. 1987. Otter survey of Scotland, 1984-1985. London: Vincent Wildlife Trust.
- Han S. 1997. Ecology of Korean Otter and current status of management system, Korean journal of environment and ecology 24(1): 89-94. (in Korean)
- IUCN. 1990. IUCN RedList of Threatened Animals-IUCN, Gland.
- Jeong S. 2014. Evaluation model of riparian corridor connectivity: a case study of Seom river basin, Gangwon-do, Doctoral thesis, Seoul National University. (in Korean)
- Jeong S..Lee HS.Park JH.Lee DK.Park CH and Seo CW. 2015. Selecting Suitable Riparian Wildlife Passage Locations for Water Deer based on MaxEnt Model and Wildlife Crossing Analysis. Journal of the Korean Society for Geospatial Information Science 23(1): 101-111. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.7319/kogsis.2015.23.1.101
- Korea Environment Institute(KEI). 2008. Research promotion system for Northeast Asia network. (in Korean)
- Krunk H. 1995. Wild otters; Predation and Population. Inst. Terrestrial Eco, Banchory, Scotland: Oxford Univ Press.
- Kwon H. 2011. Integrated evaluation model of biodiversity for conservation planning: focused on Mt. Jiri, Mt. Deokyu and Mt. Gaya regions. Doctoral thesis, Seoul National University (in Korean).
- Lenton, E. J..Chapin, P. R. F. and Jefferies, D. J. 1980. Otter survey of England. 1977-1979. London: Nature Conservancy Council.
- Mcdonald, D. W. 1985. The Carnivores: order Carnivore. Clarendon, Oxford: In Social odorin mammals. pp. 619-722.
- Mcdonald, D. W. 1980. Pattern of scent marking with urine and feces among carnivore communities. Symoposia of the Zoological Society of London, 45, pp.107-139.
- Michael, S. 1987. Species richness - a geographic approach to protecting future biological diversity. American Institute of Biological Sciences.
- Ministry of Environment (MOE). 2007. Report for river maintenance consider restoration of habitat for Otter. (in Korean)
- Nakdong River Basin Environmental Office. 2006. Research report for behavior and inhabited environment for otter by using remote trace. (in Korean)
- Park BJ.Shin, JI and Jung KS. 2005. The Evaluation of River Naturalness for Biological Habitat Restoration: I. Proposal of Evaluation Method, Journal of Korea Water Resources Association, 38(1): 37-48. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2005.38.1.037
- Phillips, S. J. and Dudik, M. 2008. Modeling of species distributions with Maxent: new extensions and a comprehensive evaluation. Ecography, 31(2), 161-175. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0906-7590.2008.5203.x
- Primack, R. B. 2004. A primer of conservation biology. 3rded. Sunderland, MAs: Sinauer Associates.
- Song W. 2011. Habitat Network Modeling of Leopard Cat (Prionailurus bengalensis) Based on the Spatial Graph Theory, Doctoral thesis, Seoul National University. (in Korean)
- USDA. 2001. Stream Corridor Restoration.
- Won C. and Cho Y. 2008. Research for taxonomic and geographical variation of Otter, National Institute of Biological Resources. (in Korean)
- Wonju Construction and Management Administration. 2010. Report for basic plans for Seomjingang River. (in Korean)
- Wonju Regional Environmental Office. 2007. Report for habitat condition of Otter. (in Korean)
- Yeongsan River Basin Environmental Office. 2004. Report for establishing ecosystem conservation area for Otter in Seomjingang River. (in Korean)
- Yu M. 2012, Conservation plan of wildlife riparian habitat of Seom River basin, Korea, Doctoral thesis, Seoul National University. (in Korean)
- Zonneveld, I. S. and Forman R. T. 1990. Changing Landscape: An Ecological Perspective. Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Analysis of Hibernating Habitat of Asiatic Black Bear(Ursus thibetanus ussuricus) based on the Presence-Only Model using MaxEnt and Geographic Information System: A Comparative Study of Habitat for Non-Hibernating Period vol.19, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11108/kagis.2016.19.3.102