- Volume 16 Issue 3
This study aimed to identify the influencing factors on nicotine dependency of middle school smokers and to provide the basic data for the effective smoking cessation program. Data were collected from May 3 to July 26 in 2013 by self-reported questionnaires. The subjects of this study were 202 middle school smokers in D city. For data analysis, SPSS 18.0 and AMOS 18.0 was used to calculate Percentage, mean, Standard deviation, ANOVA, Scheffe test, Pearson's correlation coefficient and Path analysis. The results showed that smoking reinforced factors, social environment factors, self-efficacy and impulsivity were significantly influenced on the nicotine dependency directly and indirectly. Therefore, it is necessary to include intervention of smoking reinforced factors, social environment factors, self-efficacy and impulsivity to develop smoking cessation program for smoking in middle school students.
- J. B. Shin, "Relationship of Leisure Activities to Sociability in Middle Schoolers", Unpublished master's Thesis, Korea National University of Education, Chung-Buk, 2008.
- S. H. Park, J. H. Kang, J. S. Chun, H. J. Oh, "A longitudinal comparative study of mental health between adolescent smokers and adolescent nonsmokers", Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 75-94, 2010.
- H. K. Kim, H. S. Kang, Y. H. Ko, S. S. Moon, Y. S. Park, Y. S. Shin, "Influence Factors of Adolescent Smoking", Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 376-386, 2002.
- Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention. The 9th(2013), adolescent health behavior survey ststistics online, Available From :http://yhs.cdc.go.kr. (accessed Dec,15, 2013)
- S. H. Park, K. J. June, "Predictors Affecting Smoking Initiation and an Increase in Smoking Frequency among Korean Middle Schoolers", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 5-27, 2007.
- Y. J. Yi, K. J. Lee, Y. S. Kim, "Influences of Demographic, Smoking, and Smoking Cessation Factors on Smoking Cessation Success in Adolescent Smokers", The Korea Contents Association, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 303-311, 2011.
- USDHHS, "Preventing tobacco use among youth and young adults: A report of the surgeon general", Atlanta (GA): US. Department of Health and Human Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 2012.
- J. K. Kim, G. H. Kim, "Determinants of Smoke and Smoking Frequency among Middle and High School Students", Youth Culture Forum, Vol. 33, pp. 88-115, 2013.
- J. Y. Kim, K. Y. Lee, "The Influence of Adolescent's Drinking and Smoking on School Violence: Moderating Effect of Parent-Child Interaction", Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 53-74, 2010.
- S. H. Park, J. H. Kang, J. S. Chun, H. J. Oh, "A Longitudinal comparative study of mental health between adolescent smokers and adolescent nonsmokers", Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 75-94, 2010.
- N. A. Rigotti, "Clinical practice treatment of tobacco use and dependence", N Eng Med, Vol. 346, pp. 506-512, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJMcp012279
- S. O. Chang, E. J. Kim, G. A. Seomun, S. J. Lee, C. S. Park, "Comparison of Influential Variables for Smoking Temptation between Adolescent and Adult Smokers", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 561-570, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.3.561
- K, H. Suh, J. Y. Seo, "An Exploratory Study on Factors Related with Smoking Styles and Tobacco Dependence Proneness among Adolescent Smoker", Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 567-581, 2013. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2013.18.3.009
- E. F. Dobow, D. G. Ulman, "Assessing Social support in elementary school children: The survey of children's social support", Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, Vol. 18, pp. 52-64, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1207/s15374424jccp1801_7 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15374424jccp1801_7
- M. H. Han, "Study on stress, perceived social supports and behavior problems of children", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul, 1996.
- C. C. DiClemente, J. O. Prochaska, M. Giberini, "Self-efficacy and stages of self-change of smoking", Cognitive Therapy and Research, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 181-200, 1985. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF01204849 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01204849
- B. C. Oh, "Related factors with the stage of change of smoking cessation in adolescent : Based on the transtheoretical model", Unpublished master's Thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, 2002.
- C. R. Cloninger, C. Bayon, D. M. Svrakic, "Measurement of temperament and character in model disorders: a model of fundamental states as personality types", journal of Affect Disorder, Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 21-32, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-0327(98)00153-0
- M. S. Kim, "The Outcome Comparison Study of Cognitive-Behavioral Smoking - Abstinence Program and Behavioral Smoking - Abstinence Program for Smoking Teenagers", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Korea University, Seoul, 2003.
- K. O. Fagerstrom, "Measuring degree of physical dependence tobacco smoking with reference to individualization of treatment", Addict Behav, Vol. 3, pp. 235-241, 1978. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0306-4603(78)90024-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/0306-4603(78)90024-2
- E. S. Lim, "The effects of 5&6 smoking cessation program on adolescent's smoking behavior", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2007.
- Y. S. Seo, Y. I. Kim, "Factors affecting Smoking Middle School Students' Intention to Quit Smoking: On the Basis of the ASE Model", J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 471-479, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.4.471 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.4.471
- J. S. Chun, "Social, Attitudinal, and Intrapersonal Factors Influencing Smoking among Adolescents: Focusing on Gender Differences", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 27-50, 2014.
- Y. H. Kwak, T. J. Kim, "A Study on Factors of family and friends Influencing on the youth smoking", Journal of Transactional Analysis & Counseling, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 47-71, 2011.
- D. B. Kendel, K. Chen, "Extend of smoking and nicotine dependence in the united states 1991-1993", Nicotine and Tobacco Reach, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 263-274, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/14622200050147538
- H. J. Shin, Y. S. Suh, "Analyses of Structural Equation Models on the Relationships among Social Support, Self-efficacy, and Adjustment by School Class", The Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 117-130, 2006.
- Y. H. Kang, "The Impacts of stress and social support on smoking in rural community", Unpublished master's Thesis, Korea University, Seoul, 2008.
- W. K. Kim, "Predictors of Smoking Behavior in Korean Male and Female Youth", Journal of Future Oriented Youth Society, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 63-85, 2014.
- B. D. Suh, Y. H. Choi, "Impulsivity and Self-efficacy according to Internet Addiction", Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 310-316, 2006.
- K. S. Paek, "The Effects of a Smoking Cessation Program on Nicotine Dependency and Self-Efficacy for Adolescents", Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 282-288, 2005.
- M. K. Park, K. S. Kang, N. Y. Kim, "Effects of a Smoking Cessation Program on Amount of smoking and Nicotine Dependence and Self-Efficacy of Smoking Cessation for Smoking Workers", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 37, No. 7, pp. 1073-1079, 2007. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.7.1073
- Y. M. Yoon, M. S. Choi, "Affecting Factors of Deviant Behaviors of Korean High School Students", Child Health Nursing Research, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 323-331, 2003.